This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Not exactly electronics-related but not a bad haul for a 50th birthday/Christmas/annual bonus from a VERY good customer. Craftsman (MTD-built) 24" 2-stage snow blower. I don't get a lot of snow in Delaware but mostly wet heavy snow. Did get to try it on the 13th with 5 inches
    Attached Files
    Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

^
      Not bad!!

My usual sources have been rather quiet lately...
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        I'm going to diddle around with it for a bit and see how much I can hotrod it....after that, I may consider parting with it. I've been eyeballing a potentially cheap m6800, but from the m6600 and newer, Dell in their infinite wisdom decided to discontinue all 16:10 displays and jump on the 16:9 bandwagon....which is fine for a TV, but nothing beats 16:10 for a PC.
        Keep me in mind when you get bored with it, I need a m6400 to add to my collection.

Comment

I got two free Dell Vostro 1015 laptops - one with a smashed screen but good plastic frame (no broken hinges) and crap board (Celeron CPU) and another 1015 that has a Core 2 Duo and had broken hinges and no frame.

Salvaged the LCD from my old Acer Aspire 5349 that gave up the ghost. Now the DELL looks and works fine, bar a missing HDD interposer, but I'm looking for a HDD caddy to put in the DVD slot. Ultimately I might build my own.
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

I picked up this beast, a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi 7.1 ch 140wpc receiver for $60 ( $95 with shipping) .

This was a $1500 receiver back in 2006 and absolutely wipes the floor with the Onkyo TX-NR626 it replaced (the Onkyo wasn't "bad" but this is in a whole different league), it also weighs 36 lbs. and barely fits in my AV rack.

Here's a size comparison with the Onkyo (Pioneer on the bottom, Onkyo on top):
            Attached Files
            Last edited by dmill89; 01-23-2019, 06:06 PM.

Comment

no,
              all that shit printed on the front and it still does not support RDS from what i can see!!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                still does not support RDS from what i can see!!
                It does not, for whatever reason RDS support is still not all that common in the US, it only started to become common in car radios in the last few years, and still isn't very common on home receivers (even many new $2k+ receivers still don't have RDS support). Though I don't listen to radio on my main Stereo/Home Theater system anyhow.

Originally posted by stj View Post
                all that shit printed on the front
                Yah, all the logos on the front are kind of annoying, but was standard for the era, in the last few years most manufactures have moved the logos to the top edge of the front panel (so not visible when looking at it straight on) but they are still there, here's the Onkyo TX-NR626 for reference, most other newer receivers are similar:

Most of the rest of my rack is equipment from the same era so it doesn't look too out of place:
                Attached Files

Comment

i am thinking of making an RDS radio - thanks china!!
                  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Si47...411198705.html

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                    I picked up this beast, a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi 7.1 ch 140wpc receiver for $60 ( $95 with shipping) .
                    This was a $1500 receiver back in 2006 and absolutely wipes the floor with the Onkyo TX-NR626 it replaced (the Onkyo wasn't "bad" but this is in a whole different league), it also weighs 36 lbs. and barely fits in my AV rack.
                    Lol, nice monstrosity.

Being an HDMI -era amp, though.... I'd pass. In fact, anything "surround" or "multichannel" (5.1, 7.1, etc.) I don't think is as good as the older high-end stereo amps from the 70's and 80's - at least when it comes to reliability. But that's just my opinion on the matter and not so much a fact.

Comment

RDS existed in the early-2000s, where people started seeing the RDS logo in GMs, IIRC.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                        RDS existed in the early-2000s, where people started seeing the RDS logo in GMs, IIRC.
                        Yep, GM seemed to be early with RDS, the first car I ever saw it in was a 2005 Chevy Cobalt we had in Driver's ED (yet oddly the 2007 Pontiac G6 I had in College didn't have it), yet no vehicle I or my immediate family owned had it until my 2018 Frontier (which also has XM/Sirius and USB/AUX ports so I rarely listen to FM radio anyway, all the channels around here are owned by the big broadcast groups and loaded with ads).

Comment

Yep, GM seemed to be early with RDS, the first car I ever saw it in was a 2005 Chevy Cobalt we had in Driver's ED (yet oddly the 2007 Pontiac G6 I had in College didn't have it), yet no vehicle I or my immediate family owned had it until my 2018 Frontier (which also has XM/Sirius and USB/AUX ports so I rarely listen to FM radio anyway, all the channels around here are owned by the big broadcast groups and loaded with ads).
                          I saw the RDS logo in a couple of 2000-built GM vehicles, one a Chevy Impala and the other a Venturer, IIRC.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                            Lol, nice monstrosity.

Being an HDMI -era amp, though.... I'd pass. In fact, anything "surround" or "multichannel" (5.1, 7.1, etc.) I don't think is as good as the older high-end stereo amps from the 70's and 80's - at least when it comes to reliability. But that's just my opinion on the matter and not so much a fact.
                            It is hard to beat the older stuff for reliability (even if you have to do a re-cap, clean the pots/switches, and replace a few lamps, at least it should be solid afterwards) and I would generally prefer such equipment for a purely audio system, but for a home theater stuff like HDMI switching (especially since my TV only has 2 HDMI inputs, thanks Samsung) and digital inputs come in handy.

Comment

That era of AVR is pretty nice for a budget 1080p surround setup really. If like me, 4k hasn't made it to your house and you don't use the TV enough to justify upgrading. Super cheap now that everyone's after 4k.

I picked up a Sony STR-DA5300ES for free a couple years back, a $1700 top of the line model back in '07. Not great for music, but pretty damn good when coupled with some decent surround speakers and a 15" home theatre sub.

Comment

Alright bad caps something up your ally. Took a punt at carboot today on a load of Mallory capacitors. Know next to nothing about and very little on caps in general so not sure if it was a wise purchase or not. Paid £50 for the lot.

All new boxed and packed but unfortunately were left out in rain so cardboard turned to mush. Just stripped them all cleaned and dried and look fine / no corrosion. Others are sealed in brown bags which are foil lined so left them alone sealed.

Mainly asking as the guy said he had another bag full at home so wanted to ask if worth buying them as well. Ive no personal use for this size caps so would be for selling on ebay.

25 x Mallory 1700uf 350v
                                200 x Spargue 600D 8.2uf 75VDC @ 85c or 75vdc @ 125c
                                20 x Sparague 30D 100uf 25vdc
                                5 x Sprague 32D 7800uf 90vdc
                                2 x mallory 13000uf 60vdc
                                10 x Spargue 36dx 22000 15dc
                                Mallory 16000uf 15vdc
                                Loads of other gaint onesin the brown bags but labels on outside have faded / got wet
                                loads of m390142-1419 avx ceramic caps
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by mikay786; 01-27-2019, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Scored some more free stuff:

NewWave/United HPM810US - bad plug, should be fixable
                                  OG Xbox controller - S type
                                  Original Playstation model SCPH-5552 - missing CD spindle, already fixed
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                  120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Yah, all the logos on the front are kind of annoying, but was standard for the era, in the last few years most manufactures have moved the logos to the top edge of the front panel (so not visible when looking at it straight on) but they are still there, here's the Onkyo TX-NR626 for reference, most other newer receivers are similar:
                                    Well, you either live alone, have a partner who is BLIND -- or, someone who is exceedingly tolerant of your "hobby"/mess! :>

I had to get rid of my Imperials and the big amps (PhaseLinear 700, Dynaco 400) as they were considered "eyesores" ("Who would NEED something that big/loud??" "Um, me?")

Comment

Originally posted by mikay786 View Post
                                      25 x Mallory 1700uf 350v
                                      200 x Spargue 600D 8.2uf 75VDC @ 85c or 75vdc @ 125c
                                      20 x Sparague 30D 100uf 25vdc
                                      5 x Sprague 32D 7800uf 90vdc
                                      2 x mallory 13000uf 60vdc
                                      10 x Spargue 36dx 22000 15dc
                                      Mallory 16000uf 15vdc
                                      Loads of other gaint onesin the brown bags but labels on outside have faded / got wet
                                      loads of m390142-1419 avx ceramic caps
                                      U got a few Sprague, Mallory and others between 30-50 years of age, most of that in use, all of them measure fine, some just seem to need reforming before next use. So I'd say they are damn good quality Your caps seem to be from around 1985.
                                      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                        U got a few Sprague, Mallory and others between 30-50 years of age, most of that in use, all of them measure fine, some just seem to need reforming before next use. So I'd say they are damn good quality Your caps seem to be from around 1985.

What's the typical use for these sort of caps? Automotive / amps etc

Also worth buying the rest?

Comment

cheap scores:

Another Dell u3011 30" monitor. Giving this one to my wife.
                                          10x Fujitsu 9.1gb 10k RPM 68-pin u160 HDD's.
                                          20x WD 300gb velociraptors
                                          box full of random Creative ISA sound cards
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                          Team : 49813
                                          Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X