Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the CRT monitor freaks - highest resolution you ran on your tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the CRT monitor freaks - highest resolution you ran on your tube?

Just what the title says. For me it's 1792x1344 on a 19" Nokia 920C. Not something i'd watch all day as it only does it at 70Hz and it's hard on the eyes, but the amount of screen space i have is so big it's stupid. Definitely helps with music production progs. I'm actually surprised it can maintain a sharp picture at this high of a res - this is a consumer grade monitor AND with a short neck tube and all its shortcomings. I did spend a good few hours calibrating it last year and they seem to have paid off, coz there's not a single objection to be made on the whole screen.

My friend who i work music with asked me why i reverted to this CRT (i had three 19" LCDs and sold them all). I opened up PowerStrip, cranked the resolution to 1792x1344 and fired up FL Studio. "That's why". And he was like "holy crap, on my monitor the mixer takes up like half the screen". He's going to be able to experience the same soon, as both me and mom are cleaning up the house, and i'll be giving him the 19" Eizo that has been lying in the living room doing nothing for over an year now. I remember i need to fix something on it tho, but i don't exactly remember what it had.

My usual desktop resolution is 1440x1080 coz that's the max it does at 85Hz. I usually game at 1600x1200 (75Hz). My Radeon HD3870 still manages most stuff at that res, but in case things get sluggish i can always drop to 1440x1080 or even 1280x960. And i can also play old games at their 800x600 or 640x480... With no quality loss. No pixelation. No scaling. That's why i still like tube monitors.

The 21" IBM P275 i have at my grandparents' place won't do over 1280x1024 readable due to focus and jitter issues (apart from the slightly soft focus it also has a ripple on the picture, probably bad caps somewhere). I hope to fix it this summer. If i focus it properly and get rid of the ripple, i'll probably be able to run 1600x1200 for daily use. And that's on XP there. Whole lotta screen space.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: For the CRT monitor freaks - highest resolution you ran on your tube?

1920x1200 on a 24" 16:10 trinitron FD. Was the last CRT I ever had, and was the best CRT I ever had. I was one of the last CRT holdouts, refused to get an LCD until they matured more....but about 4~5 years ago, I finally caved and got a 24" LCD, running the same resolution.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      1920x1200 on a 24" 16:10 trinitron FD. Was the last CRT I ever had, and was the best CRT I ever had.
      Sony GDM-FW900 by any chance? Hunting for one myself... though my desk will likely have to suffer a remodel to support it.
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

After seeing this thread, I had to try running my parents' crappy old Dell E772c at a higher resolution. Strangely, this monitor supports 1280x720 and 1280x768. The monitor's maximum resolution is 1280x1024, but at that resolution the image is blurry, the text is too small, and it gives me a headache. It looks like 1152x864 is the highest resolution this monitor can display while still having a good picture.

My good CRT monitor is a Sony 15" that does not support any resolutions above 1024x768. If you try to set the resolution higher than that, the monitor shuts off with a flashing orange power LED.

Comment

1208x1024 for me. (on what i have in use).

it is on 3 monitors:

1. compaq 17"f___ (can't remember the model, ill know later.)
          2. envision en-710e 17" (more below)
          3. emac 700mhz

I have a 19" (or is it a 20?) samsung at my old house that will eventually be in use... other than a slight case of burn in (old owner must have used win2k a lot), its not bad

the envision is a sleeper... at first glance when i got i thought it was another POS in the load (came with the samsung). after some research, I found out it had a trinitron's dot pitch... Once i fired it up to the max of 1280x1024, it came to life... it really has good picture quality. not blurry at all.

I also have 2 old units that still run- an ibm 15" (max 1024x768) and a sony trinitron (made in august 1992, max 800x600@256 colors). the trinitron also has a "low radiation" decal and a metal vga connector. neither are still in use but do run.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I used to have a 15" CRT that had a maximum resolution of 1280x1024. I think that would be almost unreadable. I wouldn't even use a 17" CRT at that resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
              I used to have a 15" CRT that had a maximum resolution of 1280x1024. I think that would be almost unreadable. I wouldn't even use a 17" CRT at that resolution.
              i can read it just fine...

here is the setup (it now uses a different computer, the monitor and all else is the same):

sigpic

Comment

I meant that the 15" monitor would have been hard to read.

Comment

you aldo said even a 17 would be too snall. whatever.
                  sigpic

Comment

After you get a larger display and acclimate to it any size under it seems small.

For years I used 15" displays when I upgraded to a 17" the 15" seemed too small. I currently run a 19" and now 17" screens seem undersized.
                    Last edited by Krankshaft; 07-06-2011, 10:26 PM.
                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I used to have several Dell P1130s with Sony Trinitron tubes. I'd run them at 1600x1200 @ 85Hz. They were amazing monitors when it came to color accuracy. Unfortunately, they had to go once I moved out of college as I couldn't take the heat they produced and at around 70 lb required some decent furniture to support the weight.

Comment

now you're gonna make me hook my last CRT up and see.

I want to say it was a bit higher than 1920x whatever.....
                        "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
                        AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

Originally posted by stretch0069 View Post
                          now you're gonna make me hook my last CRT up and see.

I want to say it was a bit higher than 1920x whatever.....
                          My triniton would go as high as 2560x1600, but I never ran it that high, things were just too damn small....even on a 24" monitor. Always ran it at 1920x1200 @100Hz refresh. for a CRT, it was beautiful, even by today's standards. I still have it. it weighs 110lbs, so nobody would buy the damn thing, and I just cant bring myelf to throw it away...
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                          Team : 49813
                          Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

^ If I'm ever in MO I'll take that lovely beast off your hands. I fucking love Trinitrons.

Comment

In 2000 I paid around $600 for a 19" Samsung 950p. Back then, for some reason, it was "cool" to run your screen at 1600x1200. I ran a fluorescent fixture for my fishtank near my screen, so I had to run the screen at 60hz or else it would flicker horribly.

Long story short, I ended up settling on 1280x960.

4 years later the screen became so dim, I gave it to someone. Now that I think about it, no doubt Samsung was using some garbage Korean capacitors inside there like Samwha or Samyoung.

What a shame they stopped making CRTs. Darn hippies!
                              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                It looks like 1152x864 is the highest resolution this monitor can display while still having a good picture.
                                Same experience with all 17" CRTs. Though i did recently give away one that did 1280x960 crystal clear, but the 60Hz refresh was killing me.

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                Yeah, and they officially discontinued SED research too. That would've been the bomb.

Comment

my old LG Flatron 19inch did 1920x1400 @75Hz. which was pretty pointless for anything besides graphics editing.
                                  it was a bit bulky (~25kg) for the move a few years ago so it ended on the curb I think. pretty sure it found a new home in some gypsy trailer.
                                  got it cheap (50€ or so) and it really was a great monitor. perfectly flat, no trinitron wires, BNC input, USB hub....
                                  one of the few good things LG put on the market. I think my sister still has one in the closet.
                                  "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

samsung crt's were always junk.the worst being the blue label ones.they were retired mitsubishi tech but too many corners cut.high end samsung monitors had panasonic or hitachi crt's.
                                    Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                    In 2000 I paid around $600 for a 19" Samsung 950p. Back then, for some reason, it was "cool" to run your screen at 1600x1200. I ran a fluorescent fixture for my fishtank near my screen, so I had to run the screen at 60hz or else it would flicker horribly.

Long story short, I ended up settling on 1280x960.

4 years later the screen became so dim, I gave it to someone. Now that I think about it, no doubt Samsung was using some garbage Korean capacitors inside there like Samwha or Samyoung.

Comment

I much prefer CRTs for gaming etc, faster response, better quality colours and proper blacks.

I've got a Sony CPD-G500 21" and IBM 6652-T3S 21" in the basement... sadly neither of them work.

Would love to get them going and use them, but I have pretty much zero experience with CRTs.
                                      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                      -David VanHorn

Comment

People were always complaining about the motion in LCDs for games... I think this is a bunch of hooey. I have played countless hours of Age Of Chivalry on an LCD, I never noticed any fluidity ptoblems.

But I agree that CRTs are still better. Why? No fixed aspect ratio and the light from a CRT is good for your eyes.
                                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
                                        X