OMFG, I have real internet!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMFG, I have real internet!!

The ISP has been laying fiber all over the place out here last year. They finally lit it all up. The connection I had (on a good day, I'm rural) was 1mbit (never achieved those speeds). It's now 40mbit!! HOLY DOG SHIT!!

That is all, carry on with life!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: OMFG, I have real internet!!

Congrats!!
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

umm is your isp scamming u? 40mbps is too slow for fibre. 400mbps is a more realistic figure for fibre. better tell the isp to buck up! a lot of companies tend to slack off and not care about their customers or to continuously improve their services.

and congrats topcat! finally, u can now download pr0n faster like me!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
        umm is your isp scamming u? 40mbps is too slow for fibre.
        I wish I had fiber to the building.....but it's still DSL. They lit a node that's ~1100ft from me, whereas before the node was 15000ft from me. I'm sure that needs no further explanation!
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Used to have slow Verizon. About 20Mbps on a good day. Changed ISPs over the summer and we now get 20Mbps on a bad day, 55Mbps average, and around 65-70Mbps on a good day.
          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

As rural as I am, Until today I was one step above carrier pigeons.....
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              The ISP has been laying fiber all over the place out here last year. They finally lit it all up. The connection I had (on a good day, I'm rural) was 1mbit (never achieved those speeds). It's now 40mbit!! HOLY DOG SHIT!!

That is all, carry on with life!
              Congrats... I have 100mbit up and down... and that's the base level fiber :p

Jk.

Enjoy and happy torrenting!
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post

Jk.

I wish!! If I had that, I'd get a static IP and bring the BCN server home again!
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post

Jk.

About a year ago (last May) Fios upgraded me to 1gbps for what I was paying for 100mbps (largely because Comcast is offering the same in my area). I don't think I ever even took full advantage of the 100mbps but wasn't arguing with a "free" upgrade.

Congrats to TC though 1mbps must have been miserable in the modern era (especially with all the bandwidth hogging visual "crap" on most web pages today), 40mbps should be passible (honestly I got by just fine with 50mbps for years but Fios keeps throwing bandwidth at me, I'm glad I live in an area with competition though, some of my friends/coworkers in surrounding towns/counties that only have one major isp are paying a lot more for less bandwidth, and the unfortunate ones in the county that only has Century-Link are paying through the nose for horribly slow unreliable service).

Comment

So did they charge you more money for the extra speed? I know when my isp forced me from 1.5mb to 5mb they also uped the price and I had no choice.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                      So did they charge you more money for the extra speed? I know when my isp forced me from 1.5mb to 5mb they also uped the price and I had no choice.
                      No, it was optional. I called and asked since they seemed to be done with all the fiber laying... It's 10 bucks a month more....glad to pay it. a sketchy 1mbit was miserable.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

a sketchy 1mbit was miserable.
                        For my region, even 12 years ago, it would mean something was very wrong.
                        When I only got 1 Mb down, it was probably a failed line, if not a failed DSLAM!

12 years ago, I normally got at least 10 Mb down and around 768 Kbps up.

The last time I had that kind of horse pucky with ADSL, it was because of a failed DSLAM-end, most likely. Even when I started randomly getting extreme bandwidth drops and at least once, major lag, after above-normal rain in a short time, IIRC, which the rain event occurred on September 30, 2010, possibly more rain on October 1, 2010.

But it was crawling at 1.5 Mb down in February, 2011 and it got fixed on February 8, 2011. (While the upload bandwidth stayed at roughly the same of course, a common DSL phenomenon, it seems.)
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

just checked my mobile connection .bit slow tonight .

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                            For my region, even 12 years ago, it would mean something was very wrong.
                            When I only got 1 Mb down, it was probably a failed line, if not a failed DSLAM!

12 years ago, I normally got at least 10 Mb down and around 768 Kbps up.

The last time I had that kind of horse pucky with ADSL, it was because of a failed DSLAM-end, most likely. Even when I started randomly getting extreme bandwidth drops and at least once, major lag, after above-normal rain in a short time, IIRC, which the rain event occurred on September 30, 2010, possibly more rain on October 1, 2010.

But it was crawling at 1.5 Mb down in February, 2011 and it got fixed on February 8, 2011. (While the upload bandwidth stayed at roughly the same of course, a common DSL phenomenon, it seems.)
                            Tell me all that nonsense when you live in the stix.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Tell me all that nonsense when you live in the stix.
                              When I lived in the stix in 2007, on May 17, 2007 to sometime in 2008, because I had 56K before May 17, 2007:

In the Cavendish and Chester region on Cavendish Gulf Rd., I would normally get around 5 Mbps down and around 768 Kbps up.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

When I lived in the stix in 2007, on May 17, 2007 to sometime in 2008, because I had 56K before May 17, 2007:

In the Cavendish and Chester region on Cavendish Gulf Rd., I would normally get around 5 Mbps down and around 768 Kbps up.
                                Welcome to rural MO.

When I lived in town ~12yrs ago I got 10mbit both ways.....I think the same company is offering gigabit now.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Welcome to rural MO.

When I lived in town ~12yrs ago I got 10mbit both ways.....I think the same company is offering gigabit now.
                                  Both ways? Even in a city, I doubt I would get that 12 years ago! And VTel's FTTH wasn't ready until 2013.

Albeit I saw a line spooling over the existing cabling take place and the ONT box get installed on the house in 2012, IIRC.

Back when I lived at 105 Main St. in Springfield, Vermont (Was at that house from March 5, 2008 to April 15, 2016)

I saw a line spooling take place out back on March 2, 2012, IIRC.

Yes, the same ISP that I'm with upgraded me to FTTH on November 26, 2013. But I had to get it again, after I left 105 Main St. on April 15, 2016 and again on February 24, 2018, at the current house.

I had Comcast from the afternoon on June 12, 2016 to February 24, 2018.
                                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-17-2020, 08:01 PM.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

well here i get 1gbit fiber down with 500mbps up for 10$ mo fiber to the home dynamic ip tho in some rural areas the isp serves 100mbps ethernet over cable, most of them have ftth like the cities

Comment

Both ways?
                                      Business class.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

I'm still at 9Mbps (with CenturyLink saying that I can "upgrade" to 3Mbps - I hope they missed a zero), and I'm using the wireless connection in the modem's built-in router.

Comment

Working...
                                        X