hair straightener Soldering hotplate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hair straightener Soldering hotplate

Adjustable temperature, 140F-450F, hair straightener can it be a LED desoldering hotplate?

I found this hair straightener can turn up to 450F, can it be use for LED strips desoldering hotplate? more Green than clothes iron, smaller and more convenient and looks better.

I tried it and it could melt down the solder (picture 5), but it couldn't thermal separated the LED on the strip.

Does anyone know how can I increase the hair straightener temperature?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by capwizard; 03-30-2019, 10:49 PM.

Re: hair straightener Soldering hotplate

As you know about the LED strip construction, most of them just use double-side PCB (Copper on top and copper on the bottom with fiberglass sandwiched between), to heat transfer between to the top and bottom is very poor since they cannot use Thermal Vias, that is why I have been saying for a long time about thermal management for these TV with LED backlights, The heat transfer from the top layer to the bottom layer is very bad.
    So if you check the temperature of the bottom and the top side you will see what the actual temperature of the top side of the board is compared to the bottom.
    https://micro.rohm.com/en/techweb/kn...cdc_pwm03/3256
    Last edited by budm; 03-30-2019, 10:48 PM.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

What is on the other side of this board
      Please post pictures

Also is there a part number on the heater elements
      But from the looks of the photo it has heater element
      some type of temperature sensor to some type of temperature controller ( you might be able to play around with the resistance that controls the temperature but you would need to how this device works and how it is used to know what to do with it )

Depending on what type of temperature sensor it has would determines what type of temperature sensor you can use and use a better temperature controller
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-30-2019, 11:03 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
        What is on the other side of this board
        Please post pictures

Also is there a part number on the heater elements
        Over here: LM358 and a TRIAC, two black wires is thermistor, two red wires is PTC heating element.

hair straightener control circuit principle is as same as this (picture 2).
        Attached Files
        Last edited by capwizard; 03-30-2019, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by capwizard View Post
          Adjustable temperature, 140F-450F, hair straightener can it be a LED desoldering hotplate?

I found this hair straightener can turn up to 450F, can it be use for LED strips desoldering hotplate? more Green than clothes iron, smaller and more convenient and looks better.

I tried it and it could melt down the solder (picture 5), but it couldn't thermal separated the LED on the strip.

Does anyone know how can I increase the hair straightener temperature?

By the way what brand name is unit I might have a use for something like this
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

brand is SUTRA, I bought it for $3 over Goodwill.
            Last edited by capwizard; 03-30-2019, 11:15 PM.

Comment

You might be able to play with U1 PIN number 2 with VR 1 and the resistance of the resistance divider but you will have find which the VR 1 side it is close to 0 ohms at full temperature setting
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

my friend, This is exactly what I want to do.

The goal I want to achieve is to change a SMD resistor then I can turn this hair straightener into Edge LED Strip Desoldering Mini Hotplate with PTC Heating Element. (The other side of PTC heater can be use as a spare part)

--------------------------------------------------------
                PTC Heating Technology Benefits. ... PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) is a unique technology that eschews traditional resistance wire and replaces it with ceramic stones or chips. This simple switch in materials is what makes PTC electric heaters superior to traditional coil electric heaters.

PTC ceramic elements: PTC ceramic material is named for its positive thermal coefficient of resistance (i.e., resistance increases upon heating). While most ceramics have a negative coefficient, these materials (often barium titanate and lead titanate composites) have a highly nonlinear thermal response, so that above a composition-dependent threshold temperature their resistance increases rapidly. This behaviour causes the material to act as its own thermostat, since current passes when it is cool, and does not when it is hot. Thin films of this material are used in automotive rear-window defrost heaters, and honeycomb-shaped elements are used in more expensive hair dryers and space heaters.
                Last edited by capwizard; 03-30-2019, 11:40 PM.

Comment

What voltage do these heating elements work on
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Samuel, believer or not it is 110v.

Forget about changing resistor, it will not works because I connect it to 110v ac outlet, it still not working, the PTC heating element when it reaches a certain temperature it just dropped the current it will never reach too high temperature even I put it on variac, but it will make a solder ball which I used it to test temperature (picture 3), so, I think I will use DC to drive it. look at the pictures.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by capwizard; 03-31-2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Those PTC elements come in all different temperatures. I'm pretty sure there is a reason the one ShopJimmy uses in its LED hotplate is 480F/250C.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                        Those PTC elements come in all different temperatures. I'm pretty sure there is a reason the one ShopJimmy uses in its LED hotplate is 480F/250C.
                        You can get them felbay and price is reasonable
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I got mine from Aliexpress for £2.50/$3 delivered.
                          It's 200V AC, I just need to wire it up with a switch and fuse.

Comment

Thank you. I changed it to DC by adding one bridge rectifier it works if you want to use AC, yes you can, like diif said Aliexpress sale 230 Celsius element @ ac110v

110/220V PTC heating thermistors because of their unique characteristics you don't even need a switch, you can connect directly to the power outlet and they will always maintain the temperature range set by the manufacturer. This new technology makes the temperature control circuit very simple I mean none.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by capwizard; 03-31-2019, 12:24 PM.

Comment

I personally would like it to have a temperature controller because I would want to use it other soldering projects

Some time if I had a section on a board that I am working on just to preheat it for a few minutes then work on that section because of a ground planes on a board

But that just me

I am thinking very seriously about building one and using a block of aluminum and have machined so that PTC is even with the block of aluminum with a ZD915 controller board because I have a temperature sensor that the soldering iron heat element went bad so I keep the sensor

I know someone who owns a machine shop that I off and on do work for to ask him do this for me
                              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-31-2019, 03:46 PM.
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I've done some testing this week with mine from Ali.
                                Takes a couple of minutes to warm up but one up to temperature takes a couple of seconds to remove LEDs. I was surprised how well it works on the single sided FR4 strips as seen in some LGs. No burning or damage.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Breaking news...... I used this hair straightener, successfully repaired LCD screen COF bouncing that I deliberately tore it open 1cm.

The next progression is on working TV.

The COF section connected to the screen is relatively close, more compact but the principle is basically the same.

.... so hair straightener portable COF bonding machine is in the future.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by capwizard; 04-12-2019, 03:08 PM.

Comment

The same principle can be proved Mr. diif's PTC heating thermistor will work on COF bonding also.

That's why I had ordered two small and narrow PTC thermistors for COF machine.

If someone uses PTC thermistor to make a soldering iron that will be wonderful you would not need any temperature controller and it will be as simplified as my sixth sense soldering iron.

One question for diif is what kind of temperature PTC thermistor did you order? 250c or 200c
                                    Last edited by capwizard; 04-12-2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by capwizard View Post
                                      One question for diif is what kind of temperature PTC thermistor did you order? 250c or 200c
                                      It's 260c. I have another that is listed as 250-260c.

Comment

I bought 2 x PTC @ 230 C. Actually 200 C is enough.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by capwizard; 04-18-2019, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X