Sony KDL-40W600B 6 blinking lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-40W600B 6 blinking lights

Hello all, I need some help figuring out whether the TV can be fixed.

The symptoms:

a. TV powers up, tunes to a channel, there is picture and sound, and after a few seconds it powers down, with the standby light blinking 6 times.

b. Sometimes, it will power down after a few minutes, and yet other times, it'll stay on for hours.

c. The service manual (see attached) says to check JL9106 (Backlight_mon) on the board. It reads 1.6V in standby, it fluctuates for a second or two on powering up, then it stabilizes to 1.6V, and then drops to 0V when it enters the protection mode with the 6 blinking lights. According to the flowchart, it is the LD board that should be changed. LD board was changed, but the problem remains.

d. The only readily accessible boards are the LD, BAXL, and TU. In this model, I think that to get to the TCON the panel needs to be disassembled. I wasn't able to find any service manual for the LCD panel for these TVs (RB2G chassis).

Any ideas on what to check, would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Attached Files

Re: Sony KDL-40W600B 6 blinking lights

I digged up the service manual for this model. I am too tired to look into it now, but tomorrow will help gladly.

EDIT: I was too curious, looked into it. It says 6 blinks is panel defect.
    EDIT2: Could you check, if the set turns off when you enter service mode? I once repaired a sony, where the TCON was faulty, it sent out error codes to the mainboard and it shut itself off in normal operation. In service menu, these error codes were ignored, caused the set to run "forever" in this mode.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by yohnsee; 06-19-2018, 02:59 PM.
    Cheers, Janos

Comment

Try a factory reset, if no change try firmware update/reapply.
      Last edited by nomoresonys; 06-19-2018, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Check the cable connections between the boards also check the lvds cable connections. If the tv comes on and is working, try tapping the boards with something. I use the plastic handle on a screwdriver.
        You can also try tapping the back (not front) of the panel.
        6 blinks primary fault is panel, but it could be a backlight issue, I have seen intermitint led's and sometimes its the connectors on the strips that can go bad.
        And shopjimmy is out of the strips, likely a common problem.
        Last edited by R_J; 06-19-2018, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Hi Janos, thanks for replying.

a. indeed the manual you posted says that the LCD panel is the most likely culprit when we have 6 blinks. But the manual I posted, on page 19, considers only the BAXL and the LD as possible sources of the problem.

b. It still turns off even when I get in service mode.

Thank you much
          Loukas

Comment

Thanks R_J. If the LEDs are the problem, is there a service manual on how to disassemble the panel to get to the strips? The service manual Janos posted mentions (page 20) the "LCD Panels Service Manual", but I haven't been able to find it for this particular TV model. Any pointers on how to disassemble?

Thanks

Comment

nomoresonys: (I like your display name...)

I tried the factory reset: no change to the problem.

I had the latest firmware. I hesitate to reapply it, in case the TV turns off before the firmware is applied. I am not sure whether it can enter protection mode while the firmware is updated.

Thanks

Comment

Not likely, the manufactures don't provide that kind of information. there are some videos on lcd disassmbly, they usually are not to difficult, but BE CAREFULL, the lcd panel itself is very fragile, its about as thick as 2 credit cards, and pay attention to the diffuser sheets between the lcd and the led's, keep them together and make sure they go back the same way.
                If any of the leds are bad. try and get strips, changing individual leds is a pain in the ass.

Comment

While in service menu, can you get enough time to enter the error code list? I believe, sonys has that. Maybe that would give us some useful information, before we go in and test everything.
                  I don't know, if anyone has suggested yet, try to cool specific parts of the TV and see if it stays on longer. For example, first the TCON, then make a test. Then the mainboard, then test again. This is carried out the easiest way if you have canned air at home, turn it upside down and spray on the board from 15-20cm. It will cool it down very quickly. After these tests we can move on with other ideas.
                  R_J: With all due respect, as OP said in the first or second comment, he has picture and sound, so the TV works good for a short period of time. This should not be a cable connection problem.
                  Cheers, Janos

Comment

With all due respect, I guess you have never seen an intermitint connection in a piece of electronics.

Comment

Originally posted by loukastx View Post
                      nomoresonys: (I like your display name...)

I tried the factory reset: no change to the problem.

I had the latest firmware. I hesitate to reapply it, in case the TV turns off before the firmware is applied. I am not sure whether it can enter protection mode while the firmware is updated.

Thanks
                      I see, it probably is a panel or led issue, I like to try the reset n firmware just in case, becuz they don't cost anything.

Comment

Funny, I have the exact same model with the EXACT same problem, It's not the BAXL or LDHM as I just replaced both of them. lol, It was worth a shot.

Comment

" Sometimes, it will power down after a few minutes, and yet other times, it'll stay on for hours." Seems like a bad/weak capacitor.

Comment

Well, I just open handed whacked both upper back top corners and it's up and running. Contact oxidation? Bad LED?

Comment

Shopjimmy is out of the led strips but they have a picture. Looks like the strips plug into a center board that then connects to the led drive voltage.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by R_J; 06-20-2018, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                Shopjimmy is out of the led strips but they have a picture. Looks like the strips plug into a center board that then connects to the led drive voltage.
                                Well, I just re-seated all the LED strips and connectors and put back it together.
                                There is 5 A Strips and 5 B Strips and they connect to a board in the center. The board in the center has 2 connectors on it from the LDHM. So far so Good but time will tell....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KDL-40RM10B...MAAOSwzppZ9pAG
                                Last edited by Rvang; 06-20-2018, 09:18 PM. Reason: Link

Comment

Good to here, I guess you did'nt notice anything obvious ie: cold solder on one of the plugs. let us know if it keeps working
                                  Last edited by R_J; 06-20-2018, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Did you take the picture showing how the LED strips are connected to the junction board?
                                    There are 10 strips but only 6 connectors for the LED strips on that junction board.
                                    Never stop learning
                                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

That picture I posted was from shopjimmy, his may have looked like this
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by R_J; 06-20-2018, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks RJ, I saw only one junction board at SJ, but it actually has two junction board so now that makes sense. I have one to work on this week end.
                                        Never stop learning
                                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                                        X