1.8GHZ northwood celeron vs. coppermine 1GHZ PIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.8GHZ northwood celeron vs. coppermine 1GHZ PIII

Have two MATX boards lying around, the Socket 370 one is still in use, but I've considered replacing it with the socket 478, due to the newer processor and double the RAM (512MB maxed out vs. 1GB). However, I don't know if it's even a worthwhile upgrade considering the processor. Any ideas?

Re: 1.8GHZ northwood celeron vs. coppermine 1GHZ PIII

The northwood will edge out the coppermine in certain things, and it also depends on which chipset the coppermine uses.

A 1.4ghz Tualatin PIII will crush a 1.8 celeron northwood.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

find a better cpu somewhere for the 478. then you will have some fun.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Chipset for the coppermine is the 810, and the 478 motherboard is an imperial GLVE . Also, the processor may be a Willamette, not sure though. EDIT: Also can't tell the max CPU for this thing, the upgraders site is worded confusingly.

Comment

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...cname=bph07813

Processor family P4 and Celeron (Willamette, Northwood)
          Maximum approved processor 2.5 GHz Intel Pentium 4
          Chipset name 845GL
          Memory type DDR
          Memory speed PC2100/PC1600
          Memory sockets 2 DIMMs (184 Pin)
          Maximum memory 2 GB (HP and Compaq recommend 1 GB)

Comment

Awesome. Think I'll be going with the P4 board then. Should I be worried about the Sam Young caps? The VRM and such use Rubycon and UCC. Oh, and there's two lone G-Luxons by the memory slots. This machine has been on this Earth for about 7 or 8 years now in an mATX case, should I be worried?

Comment

That documentation is old.
              Takes to 2.80 GHz P4 w/512k cache and 400MHz FSB.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by cheese007 View Post
                Awesome. Think I'll be going with the P4 board then. Should I be worried about the Sam Young caps? The VRM and such use Rubycon and UCC. Oh, and there's two lone G-Luxons by the memory slots. This machine has been on this Earth for about 7 or 8 years now in an mATX case, should I be worried?
                perhaps... my dad's hp evo d530 ran a p4 HT 478... it fried some teapos so bad both the vents and the bungs were domed!
                sigpic

Comment

Chipset for the coppermine is the 810, and the 478 motherboard is an imperial GLVE . Also, the processor may be a Willamette, not sure though. EDIT: Also can't tell the max CPU for this thing, the upgraders site is worded confusingly.
                  Ugh Wilamette. But then again, ugh, 810 chipset...

I think the speed will be about the same. The inefficiency of the Netburst will counter the low memory bandwidth of the i810. I would be thinking about longevity here.

As for the caps... Definately change them. I found a Soltek (Now defunct) SL-848P a while back and the VRM caps were good, but all the caps on the motherboard were garbage. I replaced them all with Sanyos and my system has been rock stable since day one. The 848P is the single-channel version of the 865p. I DO indeed find it slower than the 865p eventhough most reviewers at the time claimed otherwise.

I don't bother with anything less than 848/865 other than to scavenge caps from them if they're good... With one exception... I do keep an ECS P4ITA (Socket 423 - Rambus) for the coolness factor. The thing is littered with G-LUXON caps.
                  Last edited by mockingbird; 08-15-2010, 10:12 PM.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                    I do keep an ECS P4ITA (Socket 423 - Rambus) for the coolness factor. The thing is littered with G-LUXON caps.
                    you know that is one character away from PITA? which is 423+ rambus in a nutshell.

i guess ecs was honest...
                    sigpic

Comment

Beh... Rambus was high-frequency, high-latency ram. Was it a terrible product? No. People liked to villanize them because they popped out from nowhere and hijacked the "neutral" JEDEC specifications.

Where was the JEDEC when a few businessmen were hoarding all the EDO ram in 1995? Do you forget when 1mb of ram suddenly skyrocketed to $50!???

Comment

That's because at the time something like 80% of the world's RAM came from one factory and it had a big-ass fire.

JEDEC has been around since 1947.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

Or rather the glue used in assembling the chip packages.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

The Sam Young and G-Luxon need to go.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                              ......... The thing is littered with G-LUXON caps.
                              Do you wear eye protection when you fire it up?

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                Do you wear eye protection when you fire it up?
                                the board will live up to it's name if you face away from it... PITA!
                                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                  the board will live up to it's name if you face away from it... PITA!
                                  I LOL:ed

But seriously, P4? Kill it with fire!
                                  Okok, so maybe the S370 system is slower
                                  But for only a few bucks you can probably find a nicer AMD system of the same vintage on eBay, or later rev Intel (meaning not Netburst arcitecture, but Core) also for really cheap...
                                  I mean if you are anyway thinking of getting a new(er) CPU....
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                    That documentation is old.
                                    Takes to 2.80 GHz P4 w/512k cache and 400MHz FSB.
                                    Will it need BIOS update? Found one rather cheap on ePay along with the low profile heatsink needed to get it to fit in an XE783 case. And will certainly replace the caps at some point.
                                    EDIT: Also, anyone have some DDR RAM they don't want? :P

Comment

Yes you want the latest BIOS to be sure support for newer CPUs and RAM SPD's is in the code.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Actually Imperial GLVE was an OEM board for both HP and eMachines and they blow caps all the time.
                                        Significant market for them in people wanting identical replacement boards.
                                        It's hit-miss but at times a re-capped one will sell for a lot more than it's real worth and enough to pay for a better board.
                                        Just have to sell when no one else has any for sale.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X