Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LED Circuit Aluminum Base

Originally posted by Retro-Hipster View Post
    Ah, nice! As for the brightness issue there, that is likely to happen if you don't have any current limiting in series with your power supply. LED's will essentially grab all the current they can once they start conducting.

If you have a 100ohm resistor, try sticking that in circuit with that 6v power supply and that should make it much less bright.
    Tks Retro success!! I removed all the LED of one board and replaced the damaged one on each of the other boards with a good one These two boards now light up. Now I have to find some replacements?? I would really like to buy 3 quality modules??
    Last edited by davg; 05-08-2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Cree J series 6V 200mA 3030 should work, Cathode is big pad.
      https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...4ff3bb7beb.pdf
      Or find something similar with 200mA rating or more.
      Never stop learning
      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Nice! I love it when stuff get's fixed. Oh, and, I'd advise against running those panels for any length of time with the one panel out.. I'm sure that is why they died in the first place. lol

But yes, Cree = quality for sure.

“Men always seem to think about their
        past before they die, as though they were
        frantically searching for proof that they
        truly lived.”
        – Jet (Cowboy Bebop) -

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
          Cree J series 6V 200mA 3030 should work, Cathode is big pad.
          https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...4ff3bb7beb.pdf
          Or find something similar with 200mA rating or more.
          Tks Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Retro-Hipster View Post
            Nice! I love it when stuff get's fixed. Oh, and, I'd advise against running those panels for any length of time with the one panel out.. I'm sure that is why they died in the first place. lol

But yes, Cree = quality for sure.
            I hear you Tks Retro

Comment

I have these SM LED's on order off eBay (may be a long wait out of China) They are available from DigiKey and Mouser but the cost is much higher. Mouser is .104 each but their shipping is a min 20.00 unless you spend over 100.00 and DigiKey is .78 each for the low quantities. I can get then off eBay ($17.00 C for 100) (not Cree) I think that will be fine for this project my challenge here was to gain knowledge and thanks to all who responded that was accomplished. First time ever removing and re-soldering surface mount LED components. I wouldn't even pretend to know how that circuit works?? but that's OK thanks to the great help on here.
              Last edited by davg; 05-10-2019, 06:39 AM.

Comment

The important part of all of this is you gain some information on how to troubleshoot your problem with your LED yard light knowledge is powerful

When I troubleshoot something that I have not worked on before I google the part numbers and try to understand how this circuit is suppose to work and then I have a game plan on how to fix it

Just be careful when you buy LED modules from China there quality is not always good do a burn in test on a LED module over night with the voltage and current that the LED module will see what you are going to interest with is two things one how warm does this module get and if the color change when it becomes warm and if your current goes up
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-10-2019, 08:43 AM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply
                1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Ah, something else that I would recommend davg sir, would be to look at getting some buck/boost modules. It's not a true replacement for a bench power supply, but having some means of taking some wall plug power supply (like your 6v one) and slowly ramp up the voltage until it connects can be really powerful. For instance, in this situation, if you had an ok boost converter you could test 2 or 3 leds at a time and slowly ramp up the voltage until they started to light. By doing that, you could see how well matched the new LED's are with the old ones. The reason for finding out if they are well matched is really well explained by Mr Big Clive in this video if I'm not mistaken, but I haven't watched it in quite a while. ^^;; (I'm at work, so watching youtube isn't so good. lol) In reality, the LED's simply won't be matched because they are going to be from a separate batch/manefacturer and that can't be helped, but still might be interesting information to you.

But yes, something like this could really help you out! It is a buck boost converter and would let you use your 6v wall adapter (something like a 12v 2a adapter is more preferable) as both a current limited and voltage limited supply from 0.5v-30v.
                  https://www.amazon.com/Converter-DRO...gateway&sr=8-5
                  I think they also sell this with an acrylic case, but just beware of the difference between a buck, a boost, and a buck/boost converter if you buy one. (Buck steps voltage down, Boost steps voltage up, and buck boost does both.)

“Men always seem to think about their
                  past before they die, as though they were
                  frantically searching for proof that they
                  truly lived.”
                  – Jet (Cowboy Bebop) -

Comment

I second this
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply
                    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Thanks guys appreciate your input will have a look at that buck/boost converter

Comment

Working...
                      X