Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.6G /root/strace.sec_adv file.

Hello,

I'm running CentOS 6.8 Final on one of my Linux boxes. I have remote access, not physical. It's installed in Virtuozzo (it's a virtual private server).

I just noticed a 1.6GB file, /root/strace.sec_adv and I'm curious as to what it might be. man strace shows strace is a utility to trace system calls and signals. I believe I've used strace before, on another Linux box, to debug what was causing a segfault in an application. Turns out the segfault then was caused by a file handle being closed after it was already closed.

I'm thinking maybe this file was somehow generated by a program that crashed? Perhaps the system is setup in such a way where when a program crashes, it rights a strace.whatever file, kind of like those Windows dump logs or whatever they're called.

Does anyone know what might have caused this file to be created, what the file actually is, etc? I've tried opening it in nano, but as you could imagine, opening a 1.6GB text file in nano remotely doesn't work so well.

So, I cat the contents and pipe it to more.
    Code:
    cat /root/strace.sec_adv | more

10803 execve("/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/check_security_advice_changes", ["/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/check_security_advice_changes"], [/* 27 vars */]) = 0
    10803 brk(0)                   = 0x1252000
    10803 mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x7f7cf1743000
    10803 access("/etc/ld.so.preload", R_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    10803 open("/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/522/lib64/tls/x86_64/libgdbm.so.2", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    There's a whole bunch of no such file or directory messages on the first screen.

The files aren't there, that's for sure. But I don't think they're supposed to be anymore. I have a /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/522/lib64/perl5/5.22.1 directory but only the perl5 directory is in the /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/522/lib64 directory.

Right now, I'm more interested in trying to figure out how this file got here and what happened. There's been a lot of updates for cPanel lately and they've been restructuring things a bit. I'm thinking maybe a program got updated to point stuff to the new location but the old program was still running and never got killed. Then perhaps it tried accessing the libraries and crashed. What do you guys think?

Thanks.
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Re: 1.6G /root/strace.sec_adv file.

could have been a hack attempt - someone tried to envoke GDB

you dont do that after something fails, you have to envoke it first and then call the suspect executeable.

so what you have here, is someone or something tried to envoke a debug enviroment - possibly to try to hack around or through something.

the good news is the files where not present or atleast in the expected place.
    unless the rest of the log is attempts to execute the same file from hundreds of different paths!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      could have been a hack attempt - someone tried to envoke GDB

you dont do that after something fails, you have to envoke it first and then call the suspect executeable.

so what you have here, is someone or something tried to envoke a debug enviroment - possibly to try to hack around or through something.

the good news is the files where not present or atleast in the expected place.
      unless the rest of the log is attempts to execute the same file from hundreds of different paths!
      I looked a bit further into the file, I do not think it was a hacking attempt Stj. The libgdbm library did get loaded. It seems whatever program was running tried various places, looking for the library, before finding it at /usr/lib64/libgdbm.so.2

I see a bunch of different calls like that. Then, after the file / library is successfully found, the strace file shows the contents of the file. It's displayed like this:
      Code:
      10803 read(3, "\177ELF\2\1\1\0\0\0....
      After the libraries get loaded, I see /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/check_security_advice_changes got read.

This is a script that should be executed fairly often, to check basic security things (for example, is symlink protection enabled, is clamav installed and enabled, etc).

I know that script had issues and wasn't working properly. cPanel was aware of it and recently released a supposed fix for it. Updates generally don't come often, but we've had quite a few cPanel updates lately. One was released and the very next day, another one released. I'm guessing one of the updates might have broken something and perhaps they fixed it the next day.

There's been 7 updates to cPanel since July 25th (the day the file was created). The first update after the file was created was July 26th.

The changelog shows what they fixed and for the release on July 26th, one is sticking out to me:

Code:
      Implemented case CPANEL-7613: Temporary Tweak Setting to enable security advisor notices.
      So, I know for certain cPanel knew there was something wrong with that script. I reported it myself to them and they said they were already aware of it and expecting a fix. I'm guessing perhaps their fix didn't work as expected? It seems on 08/08/2016, they released another fix for that script.

I wish I could open the file to view near the end. I tail it but there's not enough information displayed. I try opening it with nano and nano just dies because of the file size and the limited amount of RAM I have. Downloading the file locally will take a very long time.

Comment

I'm thinking maybe the sec_adv extension might be referring to security advisor...The strace is just filled with the check_security_advice_changes and every library or script or executable that got called from check_security_advice_changes it looks like. I see one error a lot here:
        Code:
        10803 ioctl(9, SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE or SNDRV_TIMER_IOCTL_NEXT_DEVICE or TCGETS, 0x7fffaa07fcf0) = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
        Perhaps this is why the strace file was created? I've reached out to cPanel. Perhaps they can provide a little more insight. I don't ever remember the Linux kernel creating strace files when a program crashes or anything. Maybe they got some weird setting that creates these files if something crashes?

Comment

July 26th was when I realized modsecurity2 was no longer installed or enabled. To this date, cPanel wasn't able to figure out how it got uninstalled. They escalated my ticket, because if this was a bug, it could have very huge implications. In the end, they said from the best of their knowledge, my server wasn't compromised. I don't think it was but maybe this is related. Before that, I made the switch from EasyApache3 to EasyApache4 and there were issues. Things didn't go the way they should have. Maybe this file was created during the EasyApache3 to EasyApache4 migration.

Comment

i find it strange and very wrong that stuff like GDB is even installed on a webserver.

it's only needed by developers.
            i hope that does not mean GCC is also present!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              i find it strange and very wrong that stuff like GDB is even installed on a webserver.

it's only needed by developers.
              i hope that does not mean GCC is also present!
              Although there is a webserver running on my server, it's mainly used for development purposes at this point in time. I have gcc installed but disabled for everyone besides root. Only root can execute gcc at this point in time. I see gdb is from the base repository. Perhaps it comes by default? I'm guessing someone compiled stuff with debugging information in tack and never stripped the libraries / files. This allows debugging to be possible.

There are things that do worry me a bit. chkrootkit displays hidden files in the /proc directory. They don't start with a .

I don't know how this is done without modifying the file system. Maybe it's something to do with the virtual environment? chkrootkit believes it's lkm. rkhunter doesn't think so though.

Here's an example:
              Code:
              ./chkproc -v
              PID  706(/proc/706): not in readdir output
              PID  706: not in ps output

ls -ld /proc/706*
              /bin/ls: cannot access /proc/706*: No such file or directory

ls -ld /proc/706
              dr-xr-xr-x 7 root root 0 Aug 11 21:51 /proc/706/

ps aux | grep 706
              root  1555 0.0 0.0 103308  868  pts/0  S+  21:58  0:00 grep --color=yes 706

cat /proc/706/cmdline
              /sbin/rsylogd-i/var/run/syslogd.pid-c5

ps aux|grep -i rsyslogd
              root [B]705[/B] 0.0 0.0  249084  1468 ?   Sl  21:50  0:00 /sbin/rsyslogd -i /var/run/syslogd.pid -c 5

cat /proc/705/cmdline
              /sbin/rsyslogd-i/var/run/syslogd.pid-c5

stat /proc/706
               File: `/proc/706'
               Size: 0        Blocks: 0     IO Block: 1024  directory
              Device: 4ch/76d Inode: 1902207342 Links: 7
              Access: (0555/dr-xr-xr-x)  Uid: (  0/  root)   Gid: (   0/   root)
              Access: 2016-08-11 21:51:22.029777867 -0400
              Modify: 2016-08-11 21:51:22.029777867 -0400
              Change: 2016-08-11 21:51:22.029777867 -0400
              I just restarted the server before posting this, hence the new file times.

There's a whole bunch of these hidden proc entries. They never showed up until last night, to my knowledge. chkproc never showed anything until it e-mailed me last night. They're all either rsyslogd, mysql (MariaDB), named, or nscd.

Soooo, rkhunter doesn't detect anything but chkrootkit does. We all know chkrootkit doesn't do a very good job of detecting lkm and rkhunter does a much better job, so I think we can assume these are false positives. But why can't I see them under the /proc directory, yet I can access them if I provide a full path name?

How much do you know about Linux and programming Stj? I'm thinking perhaps the main binary (let's say rsyslogd for instance) executes and then it spawns. When it spawns, does the child process show up visible under the /proc directory or no? Rebooting didn't fix the issue.

Comment

I forgot /proc wasn't a real filesystem, but rather a virtual filesystem that exists in memory. I'm wondering what changed that created these files. Last thing I remember doing to the server was enabling the named caching service...there's been a few updates the past few days, maybe one of them changed something.

Comment

I see in the MariaDB database's myhostname.mydomain.com.err file,

Code:
                  [Note] /usr/sbin/mysql (mysqld 10.1.16-MariaDB) starting as process 951 ...
                  [Note] InnoDB: Using mutexes to ref count buffer pool pages
                  I google mutexes and see:
                  Code:
                  In computer programming, a mutex (mutual exclusion object) is a program object that is created so that multiple program thread can take turns sharing the same resource, such as access to a file.
                  I'm thinking this explains the "hidden" directories in the /proc directory. I think they're just mutexes that are created for multi-core CPUs. What do you guys think? I'd like to think if something bad was going on, those hidden directories cmdline files would show something besides mysql, nscd, named and rsyslogd running. MariaDB is still listening just on the local loopback. As far as I can tell, no one has gotten in. No new usernames, password authentication for ssh is disabled, the Apache webserver's page hasn't changed, nothing new in the docroot directory, no suspicious programs running. I think I'm good.

Comment

you could try to procdump 706 as an elf binary - then look at it with a hex editor.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Stj,

I cloned the github repository for Skpd and it didn't work. All the auxv are out of range. Quickly looking at the source code, I see a comment right before the check. It says // check that it is a valid PHDR.

I'm guessing because these processes don't show up under programs like top or ps aux, chances are good programs like skpd won't work. I've contacted MariaDB and I've asked them to see if they know why their database engine might be creating hidden directories under the /proc filesystem. They called back when I wasn't here and left a message saying to call them back. I'm getting ready to do that.

I'll keep ya posted.

Comment

if skpd cant catch it then it's shadowing or detaching itself to avoid strace.
                        this is only done for software protection - either by company's or by hackers trying to hide themselves.

Comment

Okay, I've just got off the phone with the MariaDB person who called. Unfortunately, he was just a sales person but he said he'll pass my question along to one of the technical support people and they will call me back on Monday.

So, I created a very simple C program that creates a few threads and "pauses" waiting for me to hit enter. I have it setup to create two threads and then use a getchar() waiting for user input, after printing a message to the screen.

I run ./chkproc -v again, but I'm now using a modified version. My modified version doesn't just show the hidden procs, but it also displays the contents of /proc/<hidden_proc>/cmdline.

And guess what? Sure enough, my threads program is listed twice as a hidden process.

Code:
                          ./threads
                          Hello from thr_func, thread id: 0
                          Hello from thr_func, thread id: 1
                          <waiting for me to hit enter>

<from another shell>
                          ps aux |grep -i thread
                          USER   PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY   STAT START  TIME COMMAND
                          root    2  0.0  0.0    0   0 ?    S  Aug11  0:00 [kthreadd/79271]
                          root  21861  0.0  0.0  26716  588 pts/1  Sl+ 13:51  0:00 ./threads
                          root  21962  0.0  0.0  103312  1004 pts/0  S+  13:53  0:00 grep --color=yes -i thread
                          Then, I run my modified chkproc version:
                          Code:
                          ./mychkproc -v
                          (lots of hidden processes)
                          (last two entries)
                          PID 21862 (/proc/21862): not in readdir output
                          PID 21862: not in ps output
                          cat /proc/21862/cmdline
                          ./threads

PID 21863(/proc/21863): not in readdir output
                          PID 21863: not in ps output
                          cat /proc/21863/cmdline
                          ./threads

You have   75 process hidden for readdir command
                          You have   75 process hidden for ps command
                          I wonder if there's away by reading something in the /proc/<pid> directory to tell if the program is a thread, so I can modify chkproc's source code to ignore threaded processes. It'd be nice to be able to find the parent PID as well, so I can display a message saying hey, we found a few threads, these are the parent PIDs for them.

Comment

I think the /proc/<pid>/stat file gives me the information I need. Here's a snippet of the file:

Code:
                            cat /proc/21862/stat
                            21862 (threads) S 5529 21861 5498 34817 21861....
                            It looks like the second entry in that file tells me the program name and the 5th and 8th entries in that file tells me the parent process...

If I look at the parent processed /proc directory, there's a task sub-directory. If I go in there, I see the parent AND child PIDs.

Comment

Working...
                            X