$5 goodwill tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $5 goodwill tower

The cards are not "falling" into each other, so to speak, they're just becoming slightly loose even when firmly seated because Dell didn't use screws.

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
      Not good- if cards shift and pins/lands bridge, you're gonna have fireworks!
      Yeah, I personally despise the Dell clam shell cases. Had quite a few that I couldn't open because their mechanism got stuck due being handled just a little more roughly in an office environment.
      The again, I never liked Dell cases, much less their SFF ovens. HP and other major OEMs were in a similar boat. Anyone remember the HP Pavilion and Dell cases from the Pentium 3 era? Those had so much unnecessarily plastic on them. Whoever "designed" them was an idiot.
      The HP/Compaq Evo and other P4 towers were decent, though. Good amount of ventilation holes and generally well-built.

Comment

^
        Agreed. I've also had to work on those clamshell cases, mostly on Hell Dementia 8300 and similar tower PCs. I've had several with hardware issues where I struggled to get them open.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I also abhor that they used plastic vents/grates at the back of those old Dell Dimension 8xxx towers. They're easy to bend permanently and that may potentially harm upon the passage of air. That, or it's very cheap metal. I also don't like how you have to turn the case over in order to open it.
          Last edited by Wester547; 09-17-2012, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X