Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*long read*I really hate my p5n-d board.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*long read*I really hate my p5n-d board.

This board is a piece of shit.

Specs:
    asus p5n-d
    Intel C2Q Q8300
    2x 1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 5-5-5-12-2T 1.9v
    2x 2GB Corsair XMS DDR2-800 5-5-5-18-2T 1.85v
    2x EVGA GTX260 in SLI
    1x Corsair TX750 PSU
    2x 500GB 7200RPM Seagate drives in raid0

I'm overclocking my Q8300 to stress my SLI setup. I noticed in Grand Theft Auto 4 if I reduce CPU intensive options my GPU Utilization goes up about 15%-20% more, *currently 65%* on both cards. My thinking is my CPU is the bottleneck.

Well I can't get past 2.8 from 2.5, and it will post at 3ghz but hang. I read online that Q8300 is a crappy OC'er but should be able to do 3ghz on stock voltage on a decent board.

I messed with all the voltages trying to hit 3ghz and this is what I found out about my board. It's a piece of shit.

This board has so many quirks and issues, it's not even funny.

First off I was not able to run dual channel under normal stock operation when I first got this board. The northbridge would overheat and crash or lock up the system. I fixed this issue by adding a high performance delta 60mm fan to the northbridge.

Now the other issues I've had these past 5 days.

It will not post if I raise the voltage to certain values.
    For example:

At 2.8ghz the northbridge will run stable at 1.24 but if I raise it to 1.28 the system will not post. If I raise the voltage again to 1.32-6 it boots fine, after 1.36 then no post til 1.4 and so on.

Same with HT voltage and SB voltage, atleast SB voltage works fine til 1.58 then the computer reboots and screams ram problem.

At 3ghz, I raised NB/HT voltages to 1.34 which made the computer post then hang at cpu-id/memcheck. I raised it a little higher, no post until I hit 1.56 and it still does the same thing.

anyways
    I tried Vcore from 1.3 to 1.55 didn't make a difference.

I even went past 1600FSB to 1633, and it post but hang.

Another issue I'm having is if I set the FSB to like 1400, 1500, 1600 it will not post, but if I do 1399, 1499, 1599 or 1401, 1501, 1601 it will post.

Well I gave up and accepted the 2.8 and it runs stable *as in I ran prime95 26 hours straight and it passed memtest* if I have my memory in single channel mode. Then I started thinking about running dual channel and even overclocking that. Well the board didn't like that and kept throwing errors in memtest.

I removed the 2x1GB sticks and ran the 4GB sticks which worked fine. Played with the timings, got it down to 4-4-4-12-1T but kept throwing errors in prime95, raise the voltage from 1.85 to 2.2v that didn't make a difference. Meanwhile the system will randomly not post if reset, and give mobo errors that "Bios boot block not found attempting to boot from cd."

I said "fuck it!" and change the timings and fsb of ram back to stock while keeping FSB of cpu to 2.8ghz. It still throws errors in prime95 but yet no errors in memtest, yet Firefox and other applications crashing like a mofo.

Now I'm just like fuck it! I returned everything to stock except for the 4-4-4-12-1T and the computer runs fine and ran prime95 the past hour fine where as before it would throw an error in 2 minutes.

Incase of anyone wondering I did reduce the LDT multiplier during all this from 5x to 2x which seem to help some what.

During all this I managed to boot into windows and run GTA4 a few times and it did confirm my suspicions that my CPU was the bottleneck but also my ram not running in dual channel. I managed to hit 90% GPU utilization on both cards before the game crashed.

I don't know what to blame the 750i chipset or asus for a broken bios?

Re: *long read*I really hate my p5n-d board.

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
    This board is a piece of shit.

Specs:
    asus p5n-d....
    That's all we needed to know.... Try a Gigabyte next time.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

asus mobo with nvidia chipset?
      omg.. worst.possible.combination.evaaarrrr.

Comment

This board uses a known defective nVidia Chipset. In your case, it sounds like yours is failing. You can get an equivalently classed Inte Chipset board for less than $50 these days.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
          This board uses a known defective nVidia Chipset. In your case, it sounds like yours is failing. You can get an equivalently classed Inte Chipset board for less than $50 these days.
          minus SLI certification crap, which is probably the reason why he bought it.
          Still.. I'd prefer any intel P3x/P4x based board over nvidia chipset based ones..

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
            asus mobo with nvidia chipset?
            omg.. worst.possible.combination.evaaarrrr.
            You want to see what's really fucked up?

Let's slap two chips under one propriety heatsink. I can't purchase any after market cooler for this northbridge.

ASUS engineering at it's best.

edit:
            Originally posted by Scenic
            minus SLI certification crap, which is probably the reason why he bought it.
            Still.. I'd prefer any intel P3x/P4x based board over nvidia chipset based ones..
            It was more like, I killed my asrock board and needed a drop in replacement. SLI was an after thought, then sparky here on the forums had gtx260 core 216 card that match specs with my current one and I wanted to try out sli so I bought it.
            Last edited by Mad_Professor; 01-02-2012, 05:56 PM.

Comment

as for the heatsink BS, they did the same thing on the Asus AT3N7A-I mini-ITX board with an Atom 330 and the nvidia ION chipset/graphics.
              http://www.pcmasters.de/fileadmin/ne...s_AT3N7A-I.jpg

got mine for 1/5th (or less) of the normal price because the heatsink was missing.. yeah.. will not do something like this again..

http://bambooz.pytalhost.net/badcaps/at3n7a-i.jpg

To get this set up properly, I'd have to get a thick alumin(i)um or even copper plate cut to size and drilled, then somehow mount heatsinks on top of that and somehow mount the whole disaster on the board. There's absolutely no standard in this, so looking for aftermarket stuff is a total waste of time. Thanks Asus. Will avoid you guys at any cost.
              Last edited by Scenic; 01-02-2012, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Would you complain about a heatsink in a plasma TV?

It's a heatsink on a computer part that's never advertised it as removable - honestly don't see the expectation that it should be removable justified.

It's a custom design, which may have been chosen like that to cut down on material or weight, or to provide a better cooling (larger surface) or whatever - it's their choice, nobody forced you guys to pick those boards.

I really don't know what to say... nobody guaranteed you any standard size of heatsinks and I dare you to show me a PC standard restricting manufacturers to certain sizes of heatsinks. Where would be now if all manufacturers would have stuck to various kinds of sockets or slots, simply because people "expect" that?

as for getting back on topic ... it's the nvidia chipset. nothing more to say. throw it in the trash.

Comment

yeah, my last computer was a P5N-D /w a E6750. I put a GTX 285 in there and indeed, the bottleneck was the CPU. Modren games use A LOT of CPU, that puts the core series through its paces. Part of the reason here might be the fact the cpu has no memory controller, its using a northbridge memory controller, which is an nvidia chip, taking up a bit of bandwidth for PCI-E transfers (especially considering its SLI 8x/8x). You have to consider you're running a new generation game on a platform built 3+ years ago, even with a new generation video card, the MB and CPU are generations old

get something AM3, DDR3, maybe i7 if you have the $$$$$. Hell an I5 2500k sandy beats the shit out of core chips
                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                  X