X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help I need a new computer.

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
    to be fair win 7 is pretty fast .
    The only problem I have with Windows 7 is that it will be end of support (i.e. patches) in January 2020 as per

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...cle-fact-sheet

That is why I run Windows 10 just for the tax software program. I get support/patches until 2025.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

the patches are only fresh backdoors and advertising mechanisms though.

Comment

It is great that all you guys are smart enough to build computers and use Linux but I am not able to.

I wish I knew an honest computer builder in Birmingham but I don’t.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by ron350 View Post
          It is great that all you guys are smart enough to build computers and use Linux but I am not able to.
          Ron, you already stated you do not want to build. That is fine, just get one of the reburbs from Newegg with Windows pre-loaded and you are good to go for $200 USD. Done deal.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Try to get something with an SSD, it will make a big difference in terms of how fast it feels.

Really any i5 or i7 computer with 8GB+ RAM will be fine for 5+ years. You don't need anything that costs near $1K you could build a sweet gaming rig or workstation for that price.

Comment

hey Ron,
              you could build / re-build a pc.
              and you could use Linux - or setup a dual-o.s. machine.

because you have a forum of experts to help you learn.
              that's the true power of the net, not facefuck / twatter etc.

Comment

Something like this, maybe with a bigger SSD ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optipl...o/112319089921
                Money left for any sized graphics card you like, not that it would need one for your use.

Comment

Thanks for the offer of help STJ.

I don’t have much of a memory any more so every thing has to be on paper. That is why I like tutorials with pictures that I can print and follow directions. That is one of the reasons I need a computer that can handle utube or videos because there are not many tutorials left.

I have never had a new computer before they have all been hand me downs with problems that can’t be fixed without the restoration disks.

Comment

as far as tutorials

that's true - atleast on english web pages.
                    most of the good stuff is in russian - so you need a translator.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                      I download youtube videos first, then watch them offline using vlc. My Internet speed is only 5 Mbps.
                      5 mbps is bad, If you like HD streaming like i do,100mbps is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
                        5 mbps is bad, If you like HD streaming like i do,100mbps is a must.
                        That's a bit pushing it - While I agree anything under 10Mbps is garbage, I think above 30Mbps or so it's a point of diminishing returns. Not that I don't love my 170Mbps Comcast connection

Comment

OK I never got around to buying a newer computer but like the looks of these two.
                          I like the HP 8300 because of the taller tower but it might be older than the Dell 7010?

HP Elite 8300 Tower i5 3.2Ghz 8GB ram 2TB HD $257. sold by Staples.
                          The link has the wrong tower picture.
                          https://www.staples.com/refurbished-...roduct_2445854

Dell Optiplex 7010 Tower i5 3.4Ghz 8GB ram 1 TG HDD $271. sold by Staples.

https://www.staples.com/Refurbished-...0JPw&gclsrc=ds
                          Attached Files

Comment

OK I never got around to buying a newer computer but like the looks of these two.
                            I like the HP 8300 because of the taller tower but it might be older than the Dell 7010?

HP Elite 8300 Tower i5 3.2Ghz 8GB ram 2TB HD $257. sold by Staples.
                            The link has the wrong tower picture.
                            https://www.staples.com/refurbished-...roduct_2445854

Dell Optiplex 7010 Tower i5 3.4Ghz 8GB ram 1 TG HDD $271. sold by Staples.

https://www.staples.com/Refurbished-...0JPw&gclsrc=ds
                            Age wise they are pretty similar (3rd. gen Core-Ix), but one big advantage of the Dell is that the OptiPlex 7010 series still took standard ATX (24 Pin + 4Pin) PSUs (at least in the mini-towers, I believe this was the last series of OptiPlex to use standard PSUs, newer OptiPlexes also use proprietary PSUs) while the HP uses proprietary connectors which will limit your PSU upgrade/replacement options (there are some adaptors on eBay, etc. and I'm sure something could be "hacked together" as well, but it won't just be a simple "drop in" to replace the PSU with a non-HP unit).

Dell 7010 PSU:

HP 8300 PSU:

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                              My Internet speed is only 5 Mbps.
                              Sounds like rural DSL... (If that's the download)
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                That's a bit pushing it - While I agree anything under 10Mbps is garbage, I think above 30Mbps or so it's a point of diminishing returns. Not that I don't love my 170Mbps Comcast connection
                                And I thought it was bad when I last had Comcast, my upload plunged from 11 Mb to 6 Mb very recently, before moving on February 24, 2018!
                                My VTel FTTH was ready on February 24, 2018, before I even got my PC hooked up there!

(And before I moved, when in Bellows Falls, Vermont, my download plunged from at least roughly 240 Mb to only 120 Mb!)
                                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-11-2018, 04:47 PM.
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Dmill89.thanks for going to the trouble to post the pictures.

I remember reading an Amazon review of the HP 8300 tower and they said every thing was proprietary. I guess that means all the parts even memory sticks have to come from HP?

HP elite 8300 PDF service guide which I am unable download over 100 pages.
                                  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03612798

Dell Optiplex 7010 PDF technical guidebook

Comment

I remember reading an Amazon review of the HP 8300 tower and they said every thing was proprietary. I guess that means all the parts even memory sticks have to come from HP?

HP elite 8300 PDF service guide which I am unable download over 100 pages.
                                    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03612798

Dell Optiplex 7010 PDF technical guidebook
                                    Really? Reminds me of old skool Compaq desktops...
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

The memory and expansion slots should be standard (not sure how "picky" the board may be with memory, but the slots themselves are standard). The PSU and Motherboard are both proprietary as is the entire power harness, you may have noted the PSU only has connectors for the motherboard, the harness for the drives plugs into the motherboard (but the drive-end connectors are standard SATA).

Really? Reminds me of old skool Compaq desktops...
                                      They used the same basic tower design for about a decade, but around the time of the 1st. gen core Ix series switched to proprietary components.
                                      Last edited by dmill89; 03-11-2018, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                        And I thought it was bad when I last had Comcast, my upload plunged from 11 Mb to 6 Mb very recently, before moving on February 24, 2018!
                                        My VTel FTTH was ready on February 24, 2018, before I even got my PC hooked up there!

(And before I moved, when in Bellows Falls, Vermont, my download plunged from at least roughly 240 Mb to only 120 Mb!)
                                        Here i am in the slow lane...
                                        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I have a few dozen "retired" machines in my shop that would be more than suitable for this use.

Comment

Working...
                                          X