PC Chips M726MRT - G-Luxon caps bad with no visual signs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Chips M726MRT - G-Luxon caps bad with no visual signs

Just recapped PC Chips M726MRT board that had weird issues. It ran fine with PII 450 but not with PIII 450 - it failed during Prime95 after a couple of minutes (either with error or even with BSOD). The weird thing is that it worked fine with PIII 550 (non-E).
    There were 6 G-Luxon 1500uF/6.3V LZ series caps (black with brown/gold printing) near Slot 1. They looked fine, no bulging or leaking. But I replaced them anyway (two Nichicons and 4 OSTs - I don't have anything more suitable now...). It seems to run fine with PIII 450 now
    The VRM runs pretty hot under heavy load - it's that one with 34063 controller, one MOSFET and double schottky diode.
    Last edited by Rainbow; 07-19-2006, 12:09 PM.

Re: PC Chips M726MRT - G-Luxon caps bad with no visual signs

That sounds great, any chance of pictures?

It's nice to hear a retro board getting a second chance at life, even if it is PC Chips
    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

I've got complete package (except the original box) - the board, all the cables (COM, LPT,
      sound, ATX form card), even the modem, manual and CD.
      Nichicons:

OSTs:

Overall look:

In the box with ATX form card and modem:
      Attached Files

Comment

What an interesting flexible dual-processor (interface) board, you certainly scored well with that one, if the VRM's getting hot @ load might it be prudent to affix a passive heatsink (of appropriate size) to it?

Thanks for the pic's I'd never seen an OST before (trendy purple)
        Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Working...
        X