Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony ZS-S2ip boombox no sound

Hello

I have a sony zs-s2ip boombox that has no sound output at all. I tried all the functions ipod, radio and cd and none of these will output sound. I plugged in headphones and I get no sound either just a faint buzz. It appears this problem is common as I saw someone on amazon complain of the same problem with this equipment. What tools can I use to diagnose this? How can I diagnose this problem? I opened the boombox up and the motherboard capacitors look good. Your help is appreciated. Thanks

Re: Sony ZS-S2ip boombox no sound

The buzzing noise could be caused by a filter cap that has failed or is too small or a component that has failed shorted and is overloading the power supply. This boombox appears to be similar to the CFD-S01, but with an iPod dock instead of the tape deck. I would guess that the input switcher or volume control IC could have failed or a component has failed in the bass boost circuit.

Comment

How can I check if the volume control has failed?what tools do I need to find out if the volume control ic or if a component in the bass boost circuit has failed?

Comment

It looks like this boombox has an auxiliary input (a black jack on the right side of the case). If it exists, does it work? If it works, the problem is limited to the input switcher and the circuits on three of its four inputs.

You should first check for bad solder joints. These will appear to have a dark ring around the component lead. If you see any, remove the solder and apply fresh solder. Sony devices usually have terrible soldering.

If that does not help, you can use another amplifier to find where the audio signal is lost. Look up the part numbers on the ICs to determine which are in the audio signal path, then connect the amplifier's input to the audio pins on the ICs. Connect a capacitor between the chip and the amplifier to prevent any DC voltage from entering the amp.

Look at this post to see the insides of the CFD-S01. The audio circuit should be very similar to what is in your boombox. The second picture shows the volume control (IC302), the main amplifier (IC303), and the Mega Bass circuit (the group of components between the two). The input switcher was on a separate board in this boombox and used a different chip than yours because mine has a tape deck and the input switcher IC had a built-in tape preamp.
        Last edited by lti; 12-22-2011, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X