KY or LXY of United Chemi-Con

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KY or LXY of United Chemi-Con

I have to replace some caps on my motherboard.
    They are 1500uf 10v 10Wide x 20Long 105degrees C made by Sam Young.

I have my choice to replace them with United Chemi-Con KY series 1500uf 10v 10Wide x 25 Long 105 degrees C

Or

United Chemi-Con LXY series 1500uf 10v 10Wide x 30Long 105degrees C.

The KY series are rated Endurance with ripple current: 4000 to 10,000 hours at 105degrees C. The LXY series are rated Endurance with ripple current: 2000 to 8000 hours at 105degrees C.

What would be the best, last the longest?
    I have heard that the ones with the longer cases last longer, but the shorter KY series are rated better than the longer LXY series. The KY series were cheaper than the LXY series at DigiKey. If they are better, why would they be cheaper?

BTW, I have no restrictions on the length, either size will fit.

Re: KY or LXY of United Chemi-Con

same with panasonic at digikey. FM better than FC and cheaper.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Do you think I would better better off to use the KY series?

Comment

hmmm what you think guys?

http://www.chemi-con.co.jp/cgi-bin/C...cgi?pdfname=ky
        http://www.chemi-con.co.jp/cgi-bin/C...gi?pdfname=lxy
        Attached Files

Comment

Go for the KY if they are cheaper than LXZ, like willawake said the Panasonic FM are both cheaper and better than FC, it's the same with KY vs LXY.
          The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

The two series use somewhat different electrolyte technology. KY is lower Z, rated for higher ripple current, and longer life. I'd go with the KY and suggest smiling as you write the check.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

hahaha i like it how you both arrived at the same answer via assumption/science respectively

it is curious that LXY is available in minimum 10v whilst KY gives the usual mobo required 6.3v. it is like they werent designing for that.

Comment

KY, they must slip in the holes a little easier...

OOPs, I thought it was open mic night..

lol

MD
                Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

The KY has lower ESR and higher ripple current, but the endurance is comparable (6000 hours vs. 5000 for the LXY) for the 10 mm diameter. I'd agree that the KY is better for motherboard use.

Comment

I was commenting to a co-worker yesterday about the cultural thingy wrt the KY series name. I think the LXV and LXZ series cover a wider range than the LXY.
                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Thanks for all your advice.
                      I done my first recap job and installed 11 1500uf 10v 10mm x 25mm KY series of United Chemi-con caps on a dead motherboard, and have brought it back to life. So far so good everything is running great.

I do however think I may need to replace a power mosfet that I know got hot by the looks of the board. But I have posted that at https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Comment

Sorry here is a better url
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1304

Comment

Working...
                        X