Cheap meters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheap meters.

yea, that pissed me off because i only had the 8002 for a week when that got posted about!

the hackability is good on those meters though - i change the time to power-off and fix the backlight on them.

Comment

Saw Dave's review on the AN8008. The missing mA range is the only negative i'd give it for the price range. Accuracy is quite amazing. If you are only going to use it on low voltage stuff, it is definitely worth the money.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

The ZT109/AN8008 is pretty good deal for 9,999 counts, but not for mains-voltages use. It has some tiny 3.6x10mm fuses rated 250VAC and not sand-filled, not even 3mm gap. But benchwork it does pretty good.

I think you can enable the missing mA ranges, thermocouple etc. in the EEPROM.
        I should try it but too lazy.

Comment

but not for mains-voltages use
          complete bullshit - mostly spread by davey fans who never looked at a meter schematic or manual.

the 8001/2/8 are fine for mains.
          the gaps are good, the soldering is clean and the probes are o.k.

the fuses are ONLY used for current mode, and the manual clearly states 36v DC or 25v AC is the safe maximum for current mode.

just like people bitching about the ut61e having 250v fuses - well it clearly states 250v on the front.
          if your going to ignore the manual then natural selection will come into play!

Comment

These cheap chinese multimeters have fake regulatory claims, so the question is- what voltage are they safe at?
            It's good to know, as some are a garbage build with flux, solder gobs, bad PCB layout, crap probes etc.

I do high-voltage 400-600VDC measurements... should I use this meter for that, or PFC circuits- as many hobbyists do here.

Agree davey is about Cat. III for electricians on HV panels etc. and the meter's Cat. III/600V and Cat.II/1,000V claim is fake.

I looked at the PCB and it has a few spots with narrow gaps. One trace bypass the V fuse entirely, eek.
            Yes $25 multimeter build quality is good and gaps seem ~1.5mm so OK for Cat. II and home use to 300V but the 250V fuses are too tiny. Fuses are also needed for voltage mode.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by redwire; 07-21-2017, 03:13 PM. Reason: noticed trace before fuse

Comment

but the fuses wont blow in voltage-mode because there is nothing in the meter to create a load.

Comment

If you are on anything other than Volts, i.e. ohms, and apply voltage, the meter's input clamp/TVS turns on. Or you grossly overvoltage the input and breakdown occurs. Then the meter unintentionally creates a load.

I should have been clearer about "voltage mode", meaning anything other than measuring current.
                I thought it best to have a fuse blow instead of PCB traces or parts burning up.

But Fluke 87 has no second fuse, they use a spark-gap, two PTC's, fusible resistor there. Hmm.

On the AN8002/8008 the second 200mA fuse seems to protect the uA function only, and I thought it would save the tiny PTC and pulse out function etc.

I'm just saying this second fuse could be expected to interrupt high fault, same as the current-shunt fuse.

I've attached typical DMM input stage section, sans main input fuse. Not sure how the pulse out is protected.
                Attached Files

Comment

I do not see any protection for V/Ohm unless J1A is installed, it looks like jumper.
                  Never stop learning
                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

J references are contact-pairs on the rotary switch

Comment

So it does not look like it has any protection in Volt mode at all.
                      Never stop learning
                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I looked into it more, and multimeters don't have a fuse on the voltage (non current) mode input, because this is also the ohms, continuity, diode-test input and the fuse's resistance gets in the way.
                        All you see is HV resistors and PTC to protect the ohms current-source.

These cheap chinese multimeters, most have very poor spacings, so an arc or breakdown would have nothing to limit the fault.

I know people shouldn't be using these "at high voltage" but the bogus labels say 600V or 1000V.

Comment

They will do 1000V. But it's CAT II at best. If you are an electrician doing industrial or powerline stuff, you buy a meter that has passed regulatory agency testing. The Chinese meters are OK for hobby use. But i wouldn't try them on, say, a high power tube amplifier with HT supply higher than 200 volts.

I located my new 830B and have a 20MP camera at my disposal (Lumia 930 ). Want me to tear it down for you guys? It will be stripped down anyway as i want to build it into a power supply - was cheaper and faster than waiting for a panel meter from China.
                          Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 07-23-2017, 11:16 AM.
                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

i imagine it takes up a little more space than a panel meter from china!

Comment

830B multimeter selling for $USD 3.79 well that's pretty cheap. DT830B as a kit for more dollars.
                              They seem to use the 'ol 7106 A/D IC.

I got one to carry around in the car, but it uses those crap 12V A23 batteries.
                              Glued a 9V battery outside it, lol

Comment

Those FWP Hazard Fraught Tools meters look like 830B's...

Though the HFT models do use PP3 batteries...?!

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                                  I think I bought an 830 kit eons ago as a gift, and it actually had a true 7106 DIP40 in it. Now we get these die bonded to PCB crap :-(

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                                    830B multimeter selling for $USD 3.79 well that's pretty cheap.
                                    They can be found for under $2.

Comment

I have a small pile of the FWP (Free With Purchase (coupon)) Hazard Fraught Tools meters. They are indeed made cheap.

I have one meter that uses the A23, but it's not an 830 clone... and yes I hate the A23 - doesn't last long and hard to get cheaply...

Attached is one variant of the HFT meter - that has a backlight...

And speaking of pointless repairs, I did try to "repair" this meter multiple times - fixing broken probes, fixing the common connector and melting the case, and ... replacing the battery ... when all of these could have been "fixed" buy getting another free unit (This is my garage/automotive repair meter that I toss around...)
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by eccerr0r; 07-24-2017, 01:04 PM.

Comment

funny label on the battery. "(c) 2012 Sunbeam Products Inc"

i'd swear PP3 battery's have been around much longer than 2012!!
                                        are they really claiming copywrite over it??

Comment

I think they're copyrighting the label design - not the battery. The label, which just like any artwork, can be copyrighted...

Comment

Working...
                                          X