Insignia 32" LCD TV Model# NS-32LCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Insignia 32" LCD TV Model# NS-32LCD

Ok, well, now another question. How do I konw what kind of fuse it is? It is a pale blue/turqouise teal color, but I don't see any writing on it. Also, I hope I didn't cause it to fail, cuz a few days back when I was testing something else, I accidently shorted something with the probe only for an instant. That point I was testing did still have voltage afterwards the same as before I made the spark... :/ I'm also going to test for voltage ripple with the dc points with my DMM in AC mode. A friend said if there was more than 1/3V that the caps could be failing. I'll test that today as well.

Comment

ok, well, after further inspection, I plugged in the power supply, and now none of my 24V pins work... I must have blown the fuse. I'll replace that and see what happens next. Argh! Dumb mistake.

Comment

Do the leads of the fuse go through the board?,or are they on the surface?Do you have the fuse out?Can you post a picture?There should be something written on it,unless it burnt bad enough that the writing is gone.You said earlier that the fuse passed the continuity test,but now it doesn't?So the board has three fuses total?The fuse might have been good before you shorted it out,and not part of the original problem,unless it was the main fuse that you just shorted out.Thank You very much!
        Tyler

Comment

Yes the leads go through it. It is light blue and has 5A on it and an H with a circle around it. So, I get that its a 5amp fuse, but what voltage should I get? Yes there are 3 fuses, the main one that is removable by the power wires 120V the FU502, this blue one, and FU503 is green. There is not a great picture of it because of its placement, but I circled it on the board, at least as much as you could see...
          Attached Files

Comment

The ones I looked up only gave a choice of 125,and 250 volts for a 5A fuse with the leads that go through the board.Did you get a chance to replace the main fuse you shorted,and get it back to the way it was?Thank You very much!

Tyler

Comment

No, I need the little blue fuse to make it work. Where were you looking? I'll probably go to Fry's tomorrow and see if they have one. What happens if I install a 125 and it needs 250 or vice versa?

Comment

I was looking them up on Digikey.I could be wrong,but I would say that you should be fine with either one,as long as you get the same amperage.If you look at your main fuse,it says 250V,but you are plugging it into 125V.You did mention you lost voltage on your 24V pins.Did you get them working again?I'm thinking that you might have shorted something else out while you were testing like you said,and that the little blue 5A fuse was your original problem.Thank You very much!
                Tyler

Comment

Hi all. I too have the same problem with my 32in lcd tv. I read everything and looked at the pictures provided. The difference is that i have 1 power board and 1 logic board. The pics here shows 2 logic boards. Whats the difference in the TV's i have the same model number and the year is 2007. i replaced 3 caps and the tv worked for a while, then i had to keep pressing the on button until it finally came on. The same with the remote. (having to push the on button until the tv comes on). I'm at a road block. Power is everywhere.

Comment

What kind of caps did you replace, and what did you replace them with exactly? Manufacturer, series, capacitance, voltage... Everyone on here will need/want to know that. Also, mine has a logic board, and a tuner board. The logic board is the top one, the tuner board is the bottom one. Please post pics of ur tv with the back off, and the power supply also. There are links to posting pics on this thread back in the first page.

FYI, I have orded a couple different parts that should be here Saturday. Capacitors, fuses, well, I guess thats it... But this is to get my power supply working again to see if the logic board is working. I'm hoping to get BACK to square one, as I may have messed it up worse. OR found what was wrong... Not quite sure on that one.

What it sounds like (and mind you I'm a tinkerer, not an expert at all or experienced beyond some of these repairs I've become a part of) but IF you are holding your power button down, it COULD be that the start up capacitor (the little one by the big one, actully, there may be 2 on this power supply, I've ordered 2 for both) is failing, and not filling to it capacitance value, therefore not giving enough power to what ever main circuit its feeding to get it to turn on without holding the power button and forcing the flow to continue until the main fills up enough to run the tv... Just a thought.

Of course, it could be simpler, that your remote batteries are dying and that the power switch on the tv is wearing out... I'm sure you've checked the batteries though.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I've took everything apart and i noticed that i have 24v from the power cord to the fuse fu501 and about 6v at fu502. I have no fu503. when i connect the cables up completely to the logic board, i loose all power to fu502 fuse. ( pulling my hair out at this point) lol. so i started disconnecting each cable one at a time until i have power again to fu502. All cables have to be disconnected from the logic board inorder to get power back to the fu502 fuse. I'm wondering if i either have to hold the on switch inorder to complete the circuit or the logic board is bad. I will post pics asap.

Comment

Here are the pics, the caps i replaced were 470ul 35w
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by davidlm1967 View Post
                          Here are the pics, the caps i replaced were 470ul 35w
                          What brand/make/series did you use for replacement caps?

Also, this could be a long shot, but there seems to be a lot of suspect solder joints? I circled what looks suspect in your picture, but you have the best view.
                          Attached Files
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

When you said you had to push the power button until it came on,did you mean you had to turn the TV on,and off before you got a picture,or just pushing the button until the TV would respond to the button pressing?
                            At first I thought maybe the power button might be stuck down,which it still could be,but after looking at the power board picture,I would soon bet your problem is the large 450V 150UF capacitor.In the picture it looks like the top is rounded up,and I bet if you remove it,you will see that the bottom if rounded out as well.I hope this helps.Thank You very much!
                            Tyler

Comment

Yeah, this doesn't look like the inside of my TV at all... Do you have the NS-32LCD or NS-LCD32? The power supply in yours looks like the one that came with the LCD32 or a replacement version for mine. And yes, it does seem like the tuner board/logic board is combined in your tv. Sorry this post doesn't have anything helpful other than, these are definitely different tv's, or different variation of the same tv. I think mine may be dated 2006, but I don't remember.

Comment

The caps that i used were brought from radio shack 470uf electroytic cap, 3w vdc max, -40 to + 85c, tolerance +- 20%, lead spacing 5.0mm.
                                And i had to keep pushing the on botton until the light turned green, thats when it would come on. Now the light comes on for a split second and thats it, nothing. Yes i will replace this cap. it's looks bubbled actually i didn't even notice it until you pointed me to that. Thanks for the help and i will post when i have completed this step. David

Comment

Also, those caps may not be acceptable. They are only rated for 85c, and from everything I've read, you need 105c caps, and furthermore, I've heard the ones from Radio Shack aren't good enough, so its possible those have failed again. Something about being low ESR and they aren't or something. Someone will comment on that I'm sure. Were they blue? I have a LCD monitor I'm working on also in this forum that was recapped with blue Xicons from Radio Shack and it failed again. (however after recapping it still isn't working yet, so they may not be the culprit...) The other ones from Radio shack have a green radioactive symbol on them, I've heard those are better, but maybe still not up to the quality and demands of these devices... Again, this is all hearsay, I'll submit to the experienced ones on this thread to confirm/deny what I've said.

Comment

awww man, thanks for the heads up. I will order the caps with 105c from a company other than radio shack. I will let you know what happenes when they come in .
                                    dave

Comment

awww man, thanks for the heads up. I will order the caps with 105c from a company other than radio shack. I will let you know what happenes when they come in .
                                      dave
                                      Since no one has chimed in, folks here are picky about their caps choices. The favoured 3 are Rubycon, United Chemicon and Panasonic. See

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

You want low ESR caps.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

update. I just checked out my logic board where i replaced 3 of the caps. and all the caps on this board the readings are as follows.... 470uf, 35v, 85degree , 1000uf 35v 85degree c. theses are the orginal caps on this board. So i'm guess that insignia installed these caps rated at 85c instead of 105c. I order the 150uf 450v 105c cap for the power board, which the orginal is bubbled up a bit and it's reading is 150uf 450v and "105c" so should all the caps on both boards be rated at 105c instead of 85c. Is this a possible mistake?

Comment

update. I just checked out my logic board where i replaced 3 of the caps. and all the caps on this board the readings are as follows.... 470uf, 35v, 85degree , 1000uf 35v 85degree c. theses are the orginal caps on this board.
                                          Insignia sounds like Best Buy's in-house brand. I know Insignia sells at a discount compared to name brands like Panasonic, LG, Samsung, etc.

So in order to sell at a lower price, I'm speculating that you use lower priced components like 85C caps.

I read somewhere that for every 10C increase in temp, it halves the life of the cap. Conversely, for every 10C decrease, it doubles the life of the cap.

Depending on how many caps are used and what price, Insignia may be able to shave $$$ off their design by using lower rated temp caps. The suspicious minded will think it is because then the store can sell the extended warranty and such.
                                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X