Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hacking the Uni-T UT210E

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
    HA ! I managed to get it going using an EEPROM I ripped from a TV board. It's THIS thing...apparently there WERE some differences between the one I got new and these ones. I'll start messing with it soon. Right now I just quickly wrote the original code back to it just to test it.
    stj had already pointed out the your mistake...

Originally posted by stj View Post
    bad move.

24c00 upto atleast 24c08 is 8bit, but at some point they switched to 16bit!

See the attached picture for differences in device addressing between 8 bits vs. 16 bits arrangement

IMO the hookup is nothing but trouble
    From the picture on your 1st post not only you have plenty of spare space as well as the e2prom header!
    Use the header, add another header for the remaining e2prom pins (SDA, SDL & WP do not seem to be connected to the existing header),
    and insert a micro-switch in series with the power e2prom pin (so you won’t have to hold the processor in reset / halt state while programming the e2prom).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by megaraider; 04-18-2018, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Think I'll solder it back in anyway since I'm done messing with the code for now. It's all hardware now I think
      Wattevah...

Comment

did you change the timers for power-off and backlight? i hope so!

Comment

No I didn't...don't mind the auto power off and I never use the backlight. What was the issue with the auto power off that everybody was complaining about ? I can't remember. Was it too short or too long ?
          Wattevah...

Comment

I'm ready to try the button. First, dumb question: what's the pinout for this chip ? Where does the numbering start ? The datasheet doesn't quite make it obvious. Which one is pin 1 ? Red arrow or blue arrow ? Logic would dictate it's the blue arrow because of the way the text is oriented. So apparently, for MAX/MIN, I should connect pin 23 to pin 26, which should be on the side that's mostly unconnected on the right, towards those header holes. Assuming it operates like the select button, I'd connect it (tap the button) once to enter MAX, then again to enter MIN and again to exit, at least that's what I read and what the meters which have the function normally do.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Dannyx; 04-19-2018, 03:17 AM. Reason: Added picture
            Wattevah...

Comment

I'm ready to try the button. First, dumb question: what's the pinout for this chip?
              This picture answer your question plus all you need for in circuit e2prom programming.
              Attached Files

Comment

yea, pin1 is where it says "c3"

timers are too short - that's the timer issue.
                Last edited by stj; 04-21-2018, 03:24 AM.

Comment

No need for the arduino - I have a programmer which I used and it's working now as I've said. It was the wrong IC (despite both being 24c02). Ok, so I got the pinout down too...moving on
                  Wattevah...

Comment

No need for the arduino (...)
                    In circuit eeprom programming not restricted to arduino
                    you can do it with the programmer you're using and avoid the hookup mess in any future mods if need

Comment

I avoided that because I thought it'd interfere with the main IC...at least that's what I read somewhere...not necessarily true.
                      Wattevah...

Comment

I avoided that because I thought it'd interfere with the main IC...at least that's what I read somewhere...not necessarily true.
                        That's why you also need to connect the RESET line (pin 55) to ground (GND) while in circuit eeprom programming and thereby eliminating any interference

Comment

Just soldered some thin pieces of wire to pins 23 and 26. However nothing's happening...either I'm doing something wrong or it's not that simple...I doubt all it took was a missing button after all

I believe THIS is the russian site you guys were mentioning. I came across it even before attempting this, but they didn't make it very clear how they managed to add the extra buttons. They just show some pictures of it working. Another thing is that my meter doesn't have the 0660 IC in it, but rather a 1106EN which MAY be different in some way...couldn't find a datasheet for this exact one. I also noticed in the datasheet for the 0660 that there's two different schematics: one on page 17 and the other on page 18. The first one shows the pins for the MAX/MIN button connected just as suggested so far: pins 23 and 26, however the other page shows them as 41-44...which one is it ? The bottom of the page says for FIG and DIE respectively...what is that ? My limited knowledge would tell me that "DIE" refers to those chip "blobs" some meters have, whereas FIG is the QFP package ? :| Just a hunch...

There's another thing I noticed: page 8 of the datasheet under MAX/MIN states the following: press after entering MANUAL mode to activate MAX/MIN bla bla...or at least that's what I could make out from the fairly broken English there, so if that's the case, I'll also have to add the RANGE button to switch it from AUTO to MANUAL and THEN press the MAX/MIN button....UUUUGH
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Dannyx; 04-23-2018, 02:26 AM. Reason: Added link
                          Wattevah...

Comment

that's the forum, if you look there for references to the zotek 101/102 or the aneng 8002 you will find a lot more info.
                            it uses the same chip and was the meter that got all this hacking started.

Comment

Yeah but the majority of people don't care about that feature....I seem to be the only one who's been dying for one but never seemed to get it on any meter...is it really that difficult ?

Funny, this thread has showed up as the first result on google during a couple of my search sessions.....doesn't look good so far. Don't think it can be done, at least not on this meter, since I've seen talks and even pics of other hacked ones on the first page of that Kazus forum.
                              Last edited by Dannyx; 04-23-2018, 03:49 AM.
                              Wattevah...

Comment

Dannyx, did you manage to hack MIN MAX in the end?

Comment

Originally posted by bobale View Post
                                  Dannyx, did you manage to hack MIN MAX in the end?
                                  No and I gave up on the idea since. I got a couple of meters in the meantime which have the feature out of the box...
                                  Wattevah...

Comment

Ok, never mind then

Comment

maybe it has to be enabled in the eeprom.
                                      unfortunatly i never found any link between the buttons and eeprom in the datasheet - i wanted to enable the serial port!

Comment

I've been looking to buy UT210E for years now, and I've finally bought one yesterday. I've never gave it second thought about MIN/MAX, but just now I've realised that it is quite useful function, so I've Googled far and wide about enabling it, but came up short. This thread is the only place I've managed to find where somebody is trying to enable MINMAX.

Comment

to use min/max on a meter you first need to enable manual ranging - not autoranging.
                                          maybe that's the issue?

Comment

Working...
                                          X