2004 Biostar m7ncg400 new caps no post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2004 Biostar m7ncg400 new caps no post

Hi All, I'm fairly new here but have some experience recapping over the years. I found this forum a couple of weeks ago and consider it very informative.
    My problem is I replaced the caps on this board. It was running xp pro and was showing symptoms of failing ie couldn't run over 133mhz fsb (266). Messages indicating bad writes to hd, freezes requiring reboot, other errata. I decided to dedicate it to home theater after replacing the caps. So here I am with a no post.
    Every cap pad has a + on the side away from the band, they are well marked so I feel confident they are installed correctly.
    I'm curious about the small OST caps that I replaced. If I didn't match them with a correct ripple would it necessarily put the board in a no start situation?
    Power supply doesn't start, I push the on button and all is silent.
    Any ideas? Here's what I replaced and what I replaced with.

ripple uF ripple
    4 UCC KZG 2800mA 6.3v 3300 Nichicon HZ 4690mA
    3 UCC KZG 2550mA 16v 1500 Panasonic FR 2470mA
    12 OST RLG 480mA 10v 1000 Panasonic FR 1240mA
    12 OST RSM 62mA 16 v 100 Nichicon UPW 290mA
    2 OST RMH 45mA 25v 22 Nichicon UHC 350mA

I thought all of these were better or within +/-20% so I would be OK. Anyway I'm stuck. Thanks for any help yoiu guys might have

Re: 2004 Biostar m7ncg400 new caps no post

if it worked at all before the recap then its an error during the work.look it over again.

Comment

Is this failing to start in the case or on the workbench?

If in the case, you might have missed trimming some cap legs.

I am assuming this is an Asus board with the "backwards" orientation of the caps. For all except Asus the stripe on the cap should align with the shaded area on the board. Asus is the reverse.

Otherwise you probably have an open circuit, one of your joints didn't flow properly.

I would resolder every cap you installed with your soldering iron and fresh solder. Do any of the joints look bad? doesn't take much to get a no-contact situation.

Comment

If the power supply worked before, but does nothing now - I would suspect the power switch on the front panel is wired wrong.

Do you have another mother board you can check the power supply with, just to assure proper operation.

Try removing the mother board from the case and see if it will post outside of the case. Sometimes an improperly aligned mother board will short to the stand-offs and give you a no go situation.
        Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Thanks to you guys for the replys.
          I walked away for a couple days to re-address with a new start, clear head etc.
          I wondered originally if the caps I used as replacements where well enough within spec to not be a problem. I've pretty well convinced myself that the cap specs are OK.
          To answer some of the questions.
          I checked all the standoffs, does the same thing in case and on bench.
          Power supply doesn't start when connected to the board, in case or benched.
          With a jumper PS starts and tests OK with no load.
          With the PS connected to the board and jumpered the board doesn't burn and the processor fan runs, (with on switch jumped, ps jumped and speaker connected).
          Each pin at PS connector tests correct voltage while connested to the board.
          I believe the Biostar has a normal cap layout, that is not reversed (that I am aware of). I'm sure I checked them when I removed them, each round is marked as Neg with a Pos (plus sign) on the other side outside the round.
          What I have done:
          Replaced each of the power caps KZGs back to the board, no effect, ^ not the problem, put the new ones back on.
          Replaced the 10v 1000uF caps wi the originals, little smoothers, all over the board no effect, ^not the problem, put the new ones back on.
          Put the sucker under a mag glass to check for solder slop. washed it twice with methanol toothbrush, to remove flux it looks good.
          It's probably something simple I either doen't know about that's fundamental or somthing I've missed while previewing the board for wokmanship errors.
          There were a couple real little 25v 20uf caps that I got pretty hot when installing. Could I have killed one of them I wonder. Anyway that's my next step check out the remaining caps.
          Thanks
          Dave

Comment

yeah thats a great board, i got a refurb m7ncg400 off newegg 4 years ago for 19 bucks, one of the audio channels burnt out, but other then that its a great board and a good overclocker
            My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Working...
            X