Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panasonic TH-42PY80 plasma dead (no standby LED and no 15v)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic TH-42PY80 plasma dead (no standby LED and no 15v)

Good day folks. I fixed this plasma once before, but now the guy came back with it for a different issue: it wouldn't turn on AT ALL. While it had the 10-blink error code the first time which was due to a faulty ceramic cap on MC301, now it doesn't do anything....not even a standby light. The schematic PDF is too large to upload, so feel free to get it here if you want to lend a hand.

D551 gives me the 5v standby alright. I took out the power supply and jump-started it by bridging pins 8 and 10 on P12 (page 33) and then also pins 5 and 6 on P7 (bottom of the same page). This simulates the power button at the front being pressed and the TV being turned on. The relays do close and stay closed, I get 400v on the main input caps, 5v on the appropriate pins of P25, but NOT 15v. This opens up two issues:

1. Why, despite getting 5v stand-by and the supply being "willing" to turn on, I get no standby LED with the 10 blink SOS code ? Could be a dead A-board (logic control board) ? If so, it would make pushing on with the repairs fruitless because even if I fix the supply, it's highly unlikely I'll be able to fix the A-board

2. Why doesn't the 15v rail come on as well ? The thing is C352 DOES have 15v on it, so the SMPS operates, but those 15v don't make it to the connector. Having a look on page 33 shows 15v goes through Q351 which is in turn controlled by MC352, which is further controlled by MC701, so one of these components is faulty.

Any thoughts ? Cheers and thanks.
    Attached Files
    Wattevah...

Re: Panasonic TH-42PY80 plasma dead (no standby LED and no 15v)

Something related to MC701 appears to be the issue, since it's not issuing some of the control commands like 15V_ON on pin 13 (page 41) and 5Vc_ON on pin 28 (for MC451), which might explain why I get no "main" 5v either which further explains the lack of error codes...
    MC701...any thoughts ?
    Wattevah...

Comment

I made another discovery: VSUS is not coming on either, so it could be another cause why MC701 is not switching on the rest of the supplies - it's expecting VSUS to come on before anything else...just a thought
      Wattevah...

Comment

VSUS will only be present after 15V is on.
        You probably have an AC detect fault, try locating the AC detect board.
        I was only able to fix this fault by using an AC detect module from a scrap board.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I do believe the A board (logic board) is faulty because it should at least light the LED and give an error code, given that 5vsb is present.
          Wattevah...

Comment

Perhaps so but I recall that there is supposed to be a 15V standby as well. however I am not certain. Maybe check voltage regulators/DC-DC on main board.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Sadly I had to let it go because I no longer have the space required to work on more than 1 tv at a time, especially one this big, so I just flagged it as a dead A board.
              Still, I don't think there's a 15v STB as well - highly doubt that and checking the schematics confirm that. I did a very brief check of the A-board and one of the DC-DC converters that converts those 5vSB to 3.3v had a shorted cap on it - removed it, I got the correct 3.3v but no change whatsoever. Something else may be dead further down the path...
              Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
              X