*&^%ing wall-warts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*&^%ing wall-warts

So my wireless access point has been crapping out off and on lately, mainly because a house guest was torrenting a few gigs of movies
    So every time my wife's internet dissapears I tell her to power reset it and it's good again. So houseguests leave and all is well 'till I get a call "the internet is down" Me: "power cycle the access point"
    Nope, still down. I connect to my Linux server from work and do some pings.
    Interesting. All wired devicdes downstairs are up, all wireless devices, and all upstairs wired devices are down..
    "I'll fix it when I get home"

I come home, sure enough the upstairs Netgear gigabit switch is toast.
    I replace it with a spare 100megabit one and call it a day.

Checking it tonight, the 12v SMPS wall wart is putting out 3v when plugged in to the switch. Inspection of the switch shows nothing obvious, so I crack open the wall wart. Bloated Capxon 470@25.
    I replace it, and test. Dead. Hmm..
    Get out the loupe, yep, damaged it while cracking it open, or while pulling the bad cap off. A surface mount transistor has shifted ripping a trace. No where near the cap, and not soldering damage, more like I whacked it on somthing. D'oh!

Too tired and blind to do it tonight, will try tomorrow with glasses and light.

Netgear has been my go-to consumer brand since Linksys has always had a high failure rate and Dlink is catching up. Shame a decent unit was crippled by a crap wall-wart. I should pre-emptively fix the downstairs switch I guess.

Maybe I should just power them from a hard drive connecor in the computers...
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Re: *&^%ing wall-warts

Originally posted by smason View Post
    Maybe I should just power them from a hard drive connecor in the computers...
    I like it.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Thats what I do. I have a old external sata (no, not e-sata) pci-slot cover. You plug a molex connector into it and two sata cables from your motherboard. It has a female molex connector on the back. Snipped a molex connector off a junker psu and wired 12v right into my old 3com switch.

Comment

This is a necro thread but my power supply on the GS116 netgear switch also crapped out after a couple of years.

My replacement is now 4 years old and I'm wondering if I should replace it preemtively

Comment

Originally posted by kleung View Post
          This is a necro thread but my power supply on the GS116 netgear switch also crapped out after a couple of years.

My replacement is now 4 years old and I'm wondering if I should replace it preemtively
          I replace my router caps every 2 years. I write the date of last replacement on the bottom of the router. Power supplies get replaced when the routers start getting random reboots every 2-3 years. Lately, I double the amps on the replacement power supply, and they seem to last longer.

I think the oldest router I have in service is 8-9 years old. It's now too slow to by my main router, but it works just fine as as access point for my garage.

Comment

Working...
          X