Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hakko FR301 and FX600 decent for motherboard recapping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hakko FR301 and FX600 decent for motherboard recapping?

Hey all,

It's been a long time since I last worked with any motherboard-type PCB (original XBOXs), but I am looking at a stack of DFI nF4s I'd like to recap.

My most recent soldering has just been mechanical keyboards and PC fan-controllers with a cheapo soldering iron (UY CHAN TS100). I'm wondering if a Hakko FX600 is a better choice?
    I also need a desoldering gun, the Hakko FR301 looks pretty decent - does anyone have experience with that model and motherboards here?

Any other suggestions (preferably <$500 for both, but there's some wiggle room)?

Thanks!

Re: Hakko FR301 and FX600 decent for motherboard recapping?

I personally do have this brand of Desoldiering Gun so I can not comment on this unit

Here is my two cents worth on this question

I have a few of these and for most part they work good for about half the price

https://www.mpja.com/Desoldering-Sta...info/19034+TL/

But I do have a few suggestions for you if you buy one of these units

First one is to recap the switching power supply unknown brand of capacitors used

Second get a spare gun ( if heating or temperature sensor goes bad ) you do get long life from them

Third get spare tips ( do not last very long if you pry with the tip )

Forth get spare filters for the gun ( get dirty very quickly )

One very important note clean soldering gun tubing often this is a must or you can have the flux clog the tubing and then you have to take a 1/16” drill bit to drill it open again this is a pain in the a** to do with out damaging the tubing

I have a unit that is very similar to this unit and for most part it works very well
    but do buy a spare heater element for it they will just stop working all sudden

https://www.mpja.com/Temperature-Con...info/32580+TL/

I will add one more comment to what STJ has below if you are going to this type of work you will need to also get a temperature controlled hot air gun this will come in very handy

https://www.mpja.com/Hot-Air-Rework-...tinfo/34737+TL

This unit works very well it has very nice air flow and the control for the the pump is very smooth
    The temperature controller works very well

I do have one complaint about it and it is that it does not have a cool down mode meaning that it does not turn off the heater and just blow cool air

You can fix this problem if you want to and it just find the temperature sensor wires and put a switch on it and that solves this problem
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-21-2019, 01:28 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

i actually doubt any desoldering station will work for a motherboard without extra heat from an air-station, the hollow tips cant transfer enough heat to the board.

Comment

There is a correction in what I had said earlier

“You can fix this problem if you want to and it just find the temperature sensor wires and put a switch on it and that solves this problem”

It should have said the following

You have find the temperature sensor controller output to the optic sensor input

If you buy one and you do the modification let know and I will take mine apart to show you which wire that you put the switch on
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-21-2019, 05:05 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

If you have a budget of around $500 plus a little wiggle room, then I would choose second hand Pace over Hakko every single day. When I was originally setting up my workshop my choices were between Metcal, Pace and Weller I got lucky on a couple of clearance sales and ended up going with Pace.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

I am a little hesitant about potentially modifying my own equipment, but I guess it's no different from any other electronics work I suppose.

Which particular Pace station/iron would you choose over the Hakko gun?

This video led me to believe I may not need to pre-heat/heat the motherboard:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vY3DgUbtSM

I guess the only way to find out is to try... good thing I have plenty of busted boards to practice on.

Comment

Something along the lines of a Sensa-temp MBT 250 soldering station and Pace SX 80 Endura de-soldering hand-piece. The MBT 250 soldering station is three channel which gives you plenty of scope for expansion later.

Comment

Working...
              X