Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Desktop Motherboards, Graphics Cards, and PC Peripherals
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
New Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
City & State: Linden, NJ
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 13
Default Sun Fire X2200 M2

So I got a Sun X2200 M2 a month ago, and did my usual run of redoing the thermal compound on it, de-dustifying it, etc. and have been successfully running it for a month on and off, and more-so after finding and updating the BIOS and ELOM firmware on it.

So a couple weeks ago, I pulled the second CPU's heatsink and re-repasted it since it was running warmer than the other CPU. (doing this solved the problem.) while doing this, I saw something I didn't see before... one of the capacitors next to the CPU socket UNDER the heatsink had pooped its pants! when I saw it, it made me think of my recent bout with my Ultra 10... which had a few that did the same thing. all the other capacitors on the board (attached) look fairly clean. and yes, that is 64GB of RAM in there as well.

I picked up a lot of 10 of them off eBay because I'm broke and couldn't locate proper replacements on mouser or digikey for the life of me. I got some Panasonic FL 4v 680uF, same voltage and rating. however, today I learned they're new-old-stock from 2005, november and december. serves me right.

I have some friends coming from Ohio in a few days and one of them is bringing an ESR meter for testing them all... but I really want to just get the darn thing replaced and done with. my goal is to put this in a rack in California owned by my friend in a Datacenter where he will likely pay almost nothing more to have it in there-- and in which case would be good for me!

My question is, do I go ahead and do the deed of replacing them outright or do I wait for an ESR meter to become available to me to test them out first?
I'll be gone in Ohio for the next week after that and would rather have a fully 100% server than one with a blown cap on one of the CPUs. Also, do I use one of the older ones, or one of the newest of the lot of them? in practice I understand it's sketchy to use old-stock caps from talking with people that've done electronics repair for a living, but supposedly okay in some sort of way if the cap tests out good... so I'm not too fazed by them being NOS to an extent.

TL;DR bad cap in sun amd64 1U server, no replacements on Digikey/Mouser, got replacements from eBay because I'm broke, found out they're legit 10 year-old NOS, do I wait for my friends with an ESR meter to test them or do I just go ahead and wing it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20150918_006(1).jpg (1.68 MB, 18 views)

Last edited by Sudos; 10-06-2015 at 09:43 PM..
Sudos is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump Technical Forums 2003 - 2020
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 AM.
Did you find this forum helpful?