Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russound CAA66 - Very soft volume

Hi guys

I have a Russound CAA66 Controller Amplifier installed in my house. It worked very well until one good morning. It still kind of works, but the volume is very low. You can hear the source, but it is to soft. You also can't increase the volume.

I also observed that when you try to increase the volume on the panels, it does show the volume going up, but the Sound still stays soft. It's as if the Amplifier is in "limp mode"

I removed all speakers and inputs/panels leaving only one set of speakers and pane, same result.

Do someone have some ideas. Thank you

Re: Russound CAA66 - Very soft volume

I would check the programmed settings, there are volumes for each zone/room. Are they all low volume?

I'm not sure if you have an auxilliary power amplifier(s) on Zone 1 or Zone 2 which could act as master volume setting(s). Those power amps themselves probably have their own volume controls too, so those might be muted or set low.

Kind of have to know what stuff is connected to it. It (CAA66) looks like a basic volume control, muting seems to mute completely, if it was on or the doorbell/paging trigger stuck on there would be no sound.

CAA66 manual

Comment

Currently the setup is as follows:
      Technics Radio is source
      6 x KPL-LCD Keypads
      6 x zones

Nothing else is connected to the Russound, I've checked for mute on the Technics, I also tested with another source. It might be in the settings, it's just strange that it worked one day, and the next it 's not. You can hear what song is playing, it's just to soft. When you try to up the volume on the Keypad, the Keypad shows the volume going up, but it doesn't get louder
      Last edited by henryvrensburg; 11-23-2018, 07:30 PM.

Comment

I would compare other zones, it might be a (blown) shorted speaker or speaker wiring. Once, I had a contractor put a nail thought a cable and short it out.
        It was hard to find because the speakers can be wired in parallel.

If you have a multimeter, you can measure ohms on each zone's speaker (at the Russound terminals). I'm not sure how many amplifier channels are in it, it must be six, so are they all quiet?
        If the speakers test OK then the settings might be scrambled or the CAA66 has a hardware problem. Someone might have had a party and changed settings.

Otherwise, I'd contact Russound for suggestions.

Comment

All channels got he same volume level.

Thank you Redwire, I'll test the Speaker ohms for each zone and post again.

Thanks again

Comment

Hey guys

I tested the resistance between points on the speaker cables. All tested round about the same. The speaker cables have 4 cables, red, black, white and light green. Between the red and black measures around 8,2 ohms and between white and green the same. Some speakers are a bit less at 7,3 or 7,8 ohms. I opened the cover of the Unit, checked all CAPS or regulators etc. Could see no visible damage.

I thinking of connecting just one panel, one speaker and one remote controller, the try again with one source.

Any other ideas

Comment

try it with minimum requirements as in inputs and outputs . if no joy try different input source to rule out that .if no good try factory reset if it has one .

Comment

Working...
              X