Pioneer VSX-920 receiver shutting off after 1 minute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pioneer VSX-920 receiver shutting off after 1 minute

Good day folks. I'm not an audio guy, so I'd like some ideas on this Pioneer VSX-920 AV receiver which shuts off after about 1 minute after startup. The display comes on, everything works, but the set turns off after said time. I am also unable to perform a reset by holding down the "band" button along with the power button - nothing happens. According to the manual, it's supposed to power on and display "Reset?" but it doesn't. Same goes for other button combinations I've come across on the internet, like the ones to display the error codes or force a startup. They don't work either, so it could be a "logic" side issue rather than a "power" side issue.

I must admit I haven't taken any in-depth measurements, so for now the discussion is going to be rather generic about what could actually cause this. Failed output transistor ? Bad capacitor ? Bad main board (this was my colleague's suggestion, after encountering a similar unit in the past). I've also had a look through the VSX-1020 service manual since it provides more info on some of the service key commands you can perform and the units are similar, but the file is too large to upload so you can search for that yourself, though it's not that relevant.

Any thoughts from people more vexed in the field of audio amps would be greatly appreciated (I'm more of a TV guy and only know some basics about amps)...perhaps someone knows this to be a common fault with Pioneers or something. Cheers and thanks.
    Attached Files
    Wattevah...

Re: Pioneer VSX-920 receiver shutting off after 1 minute

During Standby mode, simultaneously press and hold the [PRESET –] and [STANDBY/ON] keys for 2 seconds to
    enter this mode.
    The display will return to the normal indication when no key operation is performed for 5 seconds

Pressing ENTER key will step through screens

Reset mode to clear errors
    During Standby mode, simultaneously press and hold the [STANDARD SURROUND] and [STANDBY/ON] keys
    for 10 seconds to enter this mode.
    The display will return to the normal indication when no key operation is performed for 5 seconds.
    Press ENTER to clear error codes
    Last edited by R_J; 11-13-2018, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I believe I tried that and it's not happening - some internal error or something going on....will try it again tomorrow, maybe it's different for the 920 model....
      Wattevah...

Comment

The manual for the vsx-920-k should be used with the VSX-820-k manual I would check the dc offset at ALL speaker outputs, maybe one is off and causing the shut down?
        It could be anything with these amps
        Last edited by R_J; 11-13-2018, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
          It could be anything with these amps
          True that. Strange that it happens after roughly one minute every time...could be temperature-related
          Wattevah...

Comment

I contacted a local forum as well and some chap there described a problem very similar to mine: amp runs a couple of minutes then freezes and restarts. He narrowed it down to a bad "DSP", which I believe involves the main board itself since you're NOT replacing just an IC on that, that's for sure...
            Wattevah...

Comment

I actually managed to reset the amp and access some of its service menus this morning. Turns out it's somewhere between the 820 and 1020 in terms of key combinations, like so:
              -ENTER and MULTIZONE ON/OFF enters the error count menu where I got DC: 002, OL: 001 and 000 for everything else. I also reset these counters while I was in here and they didn't move up even after the unit power cycled as described, so this is similar to the VSX 1020
              -holding ENTER while powering up the unit enters the "reset" menu. There's also another option in there "D. SAFETY" which is set to OFF and I don't know what it does so I left it like that. I did the reset here as well but didn't change anything.
              -TUNE UP while powering on the unit displays the different versions (again, as described in the 1020 manual): DSP 1.001, MAIN 1.007, SUB 1.207.
              It seems to remember its settings now though, because I noticed before the first reset, the volume would default to -35db or something, but now it stays where I put it because I turned it all the way down as the manual says to do and it remained like that.
              It also freezes in these service menus because I was cycling through the options and all of a sudden it got stuck, so it's most definitely not a power issue I'd say.
              Last edited by Dannyx; 11-14-2018, 01:14 AM.
              Wattevah...

Comment

After it locked up while cycling through the menu's did you re-check if there were any errors in the log again? ie DC: xxx or OL: xxx

Comment

I briefly mentioned this, though I admit not very clearly, in my previous post - no, it doesn't register anything even when it power cycles: still 000 all around.
                  Wattevah...

Comment

Check if the dsp, cpu, ram, rom etc ICs have good power supply.

by the way it is very good that all components remeber their versions.
                    Last edited by madan1; 11-14-2018, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I tried a firmware upload via USB provided by someone on a local forum and it shuts off during the install. Thankfully it didn't brick it, but didn't solve the issue either. Still no errors recorded.
                      Wattevah...

Comment

If you have a thermocouple it would be good to check the temperature of all the ic's and heatsinks and report them here.
                        Also you should check voltages when it's working and when it locks up to see if there is any difference.

Drack.
                        Last edited by Drack; 11-23-2018, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Yes I do have a thermocouple but I've returned the unit long ago. Nothing seemed to get abnormally hot to the touch though. Forgot to update the post, but after doing some digging it turns out this is a common fault with this units and it only gets worse to the point where the firmware displays 0000 or something like that. They're not repairable though, so the only solution is a board swap, at least not repairable for us average-joes who lack the hardware and software solutions.
                          Wattevah...

Comment

Oh okay, sad to hear that it's not repairable.

Comment

Working...
                            X