Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

using a 5v spi programmer for 3v bios chip question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using a 5v spi programmer for 3v bios chip question.

this is a little after the fact but i was wondering if it's something i should be concerned about using one of those cheap $10-$15 CH341a SOIC8 spi programmers found on amazon to flash a 3.3v bios chip?

the programmer is advertised as 3.3v but actually show as 5v on a meter. i only ask because recently i used one to pull my legion 5i laptop bios > mod > flash back to rom, the first time i did this worked no problem but when i went to do it again a day later after some changes the laptop wouldnt post (just power light on 5-10 seconds and then off 5-10 seconds and on an infinite loop until battery is pulled).

so i tried again but noticed the SPI programmer also didnt work (on any chip), this has me thinking both the programmer and the laptop stopped working at the same time. i ordered a new functioning programmer+clip but even my original bios backup will not boot, same power loop issue. the flash finishes and verifies
    Last edited by dglt; 10-13-2020, 10:40 AM.

Re: using a 5v spi programmer for 3v bios chip question.

most flash chips have 5v tolerant inputs, but the output is only 3v, so while your unlikely to damage the chip you may have a chance of errors.

be carefull btw, some newer laptops are now using 1.8v flash chips!!

Comment

Originally posted by dglt View Post
      this is a little after the fact but i was wondering if it's something i should be concerned about using one of those cheap $10-$15 CH341a SOIC8 spi programmers found on amazon to flash a 3.3v bios chip?

the programmer is advertised as 3.3v but actually show as 5v on a meter. i only ask because recently i used one to pull my legion 5i laptop bios > mod > flash back to rom, the first time i did this worked no problem but when i went to do it again a day later after some changes the laptop wouldnt post (just power light on 5-10 seconds and then off 5-10 seconds and on an infinite loop until battery is pulled).

so i tried again but noticed the SPI programmer also didnt work (on any chip), this has me thinking both the programmer and the laptop stopped working at the same time. i ordered a new functioning programmer+clip but even my original bios backup will not boot, same power loop issue. the flash finishes and verifies
      Search through the forum you`ll find lots of info about the CH341A . There is a 5V to 3.3V mod you can do ,and theres alternative software such as AsProgrammer,NeoProgrammer,Colibri and flashrom .
      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

10-15$ on Amazon?? fuck Amazon.
        you can get them for 2-3$ on ebay ./ aliexpress

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          10-15$ on Amazon?? fuck Amazon.
          you can get them for 2-3$ on ebay ./ aliexpress
          It must be the black and gold-plated version at that price. Amazon do have a good return policy.
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
            It must be the black and gold-plated version at that price. Amazon do have a good return policy.
            thanks everyone for the replies, yeah they both are the black/gold iirc. i have the 1.8v adapter that came with the second one, i was just trying to understand if its possible that i burnt something out on that last flash before it broke. on the backside of the board i found 1 mosfet that looked like it had a hazy film over it and another chip im told is what handles power delivery but i couldnt find online so please excuse the lack of a better term(i'll attach a photo showing both)

that "power delivery" chip instantly gets burning hot as soon as battery, ac, or both are plugged in and before even trying to turn it on.

am i right to assume there is a short somewhere causing this?

https://imgur.com/a/NKvkuNz
            Last edited by dglt; 10-13-2020, 03:28 PM.

Comment

It can usually be adapted by making a resistive divider. Although a zanner resistance divider would be better to be safer.

Comment

Working...
              X