Intel / Gateway no power - HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel / Gateway no power - HELP!

I have an XP Pro Gateway desktop model PERFORMANCE P4-1500, Serial Number 0023861326 with a Gateway / Intel Monterrey 4000762 motherboard which will not power up - NO fans, no post, nothing except the green light on the board. The desktop was given to me as it now is. I have replaced the power supply, the power button, the CPU, the CPU fan, and the motherboard, all with the same results.

Help please!

Re: Intel / Gateway no power - HELP!

Are the replacements known to be good? Any that may be suspect? The processor would be key. What Processors are you trying?

No fans is sus. Usually means no 12volt supply, which in turn usually means power supply is not turning on. Can you measure voltages on the hard drive power connector? Black to red = 5 volts and black to yellow = 12 volt

Have you swapped memory or graphics?
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
    Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
    160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
    Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
    160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
    Samsung 18x DVD writer
    Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
    33 way card reader
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
    17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
    HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

This unit was given to me. I have no other memory to swap -- just the one pair. I do have four RAM slot fillers. I have swapped graphics cards with same results. Two different CPU's on two different boards with same results. Two different HD's with same results. Both HD's and both AGP graphics cards are known good by me. I believe that both CPU's are 1.6 -- one is the original on the original board. 2nd board and CPU purchased on eBay and it is guaranteed but I can't prove it is good or bad. Using a power tester that loads the PS, all voltages are good on both power supplies and both turn on as they should. {-5, +5, +12, -12, +5VSB, and +3.3}

Comment

I am puzzled. You state there is no power and no fans operating on the motherboard, except the 5Volt standby, yet in this post you say power supplies turn on with correct voltages. I presume they are being tested outside the computer. If this is the case either your motherboards are not working or the front panel switch connector (blue and white pair) are not plugged into the correct two pins on the front panel headers on the motherboard.
        Last edited by davmax; 11-18-2007, 10:14 PM.
        Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
        Samsung 18x DVD writer
        33 way card reader
        Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

Sorry, I was testing the power supplys outside of the pc with a power supply tester and determined that all voltages are good and that they turn on as they should. The front panel wires will only plug in one way to the motherboard because of a keyed 16 pin connector (5 wires connected) but just in case, I used a different two pin power switch and plugged it into the mb. The pc did not turn on. Is it possible that the RAM is bad since that is the only common item between the two malfunctioning mb's? If it is bad, could the RAM prevent the mb from powering up and allowing the power supply to turn on? With both motherboards (using ALL different components except RAM), when I press the power button, the light on the front panel turns on (yellow) but that is my only action.

Will this mb function with no RAM -- i.e. with just the four continuity modules? Could one or more of the continuity modules be bad?

Comment

Not sure about your particular main board but the power supply should start without any memory. Just verified that on a spare computer. Usually PS will start and a post error code will be displayed or heard for the missing memory. Seems like the main boards are not functioning. Double check your PS ON switch is actually effective on the right pins and check the voltage on the PS_ON pin (green) on the main PS connector when inserted into the main board. Before pressing the ON button there should be a voltage > 3 volts usually 5 volts. When button is pressed this should drop to zero.
            Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
            Samsung 18x DVD writer
            33 way card reader
            Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

Had a thought. Have you checked for a break in the wiring from the front panel switch? Check the operation of the switch with a continuity tester connected to the sockets that plug on to the main board.
              Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
              Samsung 18x DVD writer
              33 way card reader
              Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

Working...
              X