Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung NP530U3C-A01RU (Lotus13-R Rev: 1.3.). Spontaneously shutdowns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung NP530U3C-A01RU (Lotus13-R Rev: 1.3.). Spontaneously shutdowns.

Ultrabook Samsung NP530U3C-A01RU (Lotus13-R Rev: 1.3.)
    PCB: N Y BA41-02022A.
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies Ltd. P15AAJ, 23.07.2015. Macronix MX25L6406E 3,3V. 8-SOP (200mil). JEDEC ID 0xC22017h.
    Platform: Chief River. (Ivy Bridge + HM76 chipset (formerly Panther Point.))
    CPU: Intel i5-3317U (Ivy Bridge) 3rd Generation Intel Core i5 Processors 2x1,7GHz
    Chipset: HM76 Express (formerly Panther Point)
    SSD: 128GB Samsung MZ7PC128HAFU-000KN
    IME FW: v.8.0.10.1464
    Windows 10 Pro Builds 19043.1110

About a year agos, the laptop began spontaneously shutdowns. Not BSOD - it just stupidly turns off as if the Power button was pressed.
    In EventViewer before and after shutdown - there are no suspicious messages - only post-statement of the fact such as EventID 41 “The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. " and EventID 6008 “The previous system shutdown at 17:01:29 on 20.01.2021 was unexpected.”.
    Laptop can work for a day without shutting down, or it may shut down 3-4 times a day, or even immediately after the start. I immediately turn it on - everything is fine - it starts and works.
    What was done by me:

1. All voltages all chains have been tested with a digital oscilloscope for ripple and noise. All is clear.
    2. The PCB was examined under a microscope. There are no cracks or signs of tarnishing from local overheating.
    3. I checked the Power button - everything is fine.
    4. The blower was replaced with a new one (although there were no claims to the old one).
    5. Heat pipe (Samsung partnumber A62-00673A) has been tested for functionality by immersing the heatsink in boiling water. The heat is instantly (<1sec.) transferred to the heat pipe condencer and burns the fingers, which indirectly testifies to the normal functioning of the heat pipe.
    6. Thermal grease on the processor and PCH was replaced with a new Kryonaut Ultra (Thermal conductivity 12.5 W/mK, Thermal resistance 0.0032 K/W) even though the old grease was not dry.
    7. I measured the temperatures of all the most loaded PCB elements with a pyrometer - nothing extraordinary. The hottest was PCH. On the surface of the chip 60-63°C.
    Measurements were made during the run with the most stressful tests "CPU Extreme" (1 hour) and "Intel's Linpak" (1 hour) in OCCT Stress Test. The laptop has never turned off. The temperature hovered around a maximum of 75-80 degrees on all sensors (Core0, Core 1, CPU Package, CPU IA Cores, CPU GPT Cores )
    8. I did a clean install Windows 10 v.1607 Build 143932.447 on a pure, GParted-formated SSD.
    v.1607 is the highest version supported by Samsung for NP530U3C in the proprietary Samsung update utility where is strongly recommended in addition to Intel Management Engine Interface driver v. 11.0.0.1157, install also Intel Management Engine Components v.11.0.0.1158.
    "The Intel ME interface driver is the program responsible for the operation of the system motherboards heat control module. It is recommended to install the Intel ME interface driver to ensure stability and improve system performance.".
    9. I tried fix the maximum processor frequency to 12000-1600MHz vs. 1700MHz Max. for my Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3317U in Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\My Power plan\Change advanced power settings\Processosor power management.

None of the above helped. The subj continues spontaneously shutdowns.

I got to the point that through the corna's me_cleaner.py script, I cut off from the BIOS all modules and partitions related to the Intel Management Engine, except for those that are necessary for a normal system start, and that didn't help either - the subj continues spontaneously shutdowns.

I will be glad to hear any suggestions and hints.
    TIA.
    Last edited by smarty; 07-27-2021, 09:11 AM.
Working...
X