Hard Drive Not Spinning and Not Detected By PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Drive Not Spinning and Not Detected By PC

I have a hard drive when which has 5 and 12V present when I dismount the board from the enclosure (plates), but when I put the board on top of the drive, the 5, 12V disappear. I measured the spindle motor contacts for continuity and all contacts give me a short. my question is is the spindle motor suppose to be like that
    Attached Files

Re: Hard Drive Not Spinning and Not Detected By PC

Exact resistance?
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
      Exact resistance?
      My mistake, the 5, and 12V are present when I connect the enclosure. But the plates are not spinning... I wanted to edit original post but I can't. What does that mean that the spinner is bad? I don't hear the needle moving either

Comment

Test voltage on the 3 parts circled in the attached picture

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/TVS_diode_FAQ.html
        Attached Files
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post

these are my measurements:
          small resistor at bottom of picture: 5V on both ends
          middle size resistor (on top of small one): 5V on lower end of pic (no voltage on other side)
          diode on top of picture: no voltage on either end

thanks for help

Comment

Originally posted by Zentech View Post
            these are my measurements:
            small resistor at bottom of picture: 5V on both ends
            middle size resistor (on top of small one): 5V on lower end of pic (no voltage on other side)
            diode on top of picture: no voltage on either end

thanks for help
            Test the top part first (TVS diode) using the instructions in the link i posted . 5/ How do I test a TVS diode?
            If it tests ok replace the middle part.Can you see the marking on top if it ,and do you have any donor PCB`s hanging around
            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Test the top part first (TVS diode) using the instructions in the link i posted . 5/ How do I test a TVS diode?
              If it tests ok replace the middle part.Can you see the marking on top if it ,and do you have any donor PCB`s hanging around
              I did an in circuit test of Resistance of both diods:
              both tested pretty much identical: reverse 10K, forward 0.8K ~ 1K.

my question is should I have a voltage on one side of the diode. B/c I don't so that means the diode is probably bad. My question is why is not shorted to ground. I tested continuity and it is not giving me a short. I read the article you posted and the symptoms are identical. When I pressed the power button, it will not turn on the laptop.
              ps: my meter doesn't have scale for measuring resistance

Comment

They seem ok .Its the fuse thats gone.Some resistance measurements would be good ,what model is your meter,post a picture of it.
                Last edited by SMDFlea; 06-09-2021, 01:44 PM.

Comment

They seem ok .Its the fuse thats gone.Some resistance measurements would be good ,what model is your meter,post a picture of it.
                  Where's the fuse on the picture? Is the big component next to the diodes?.. I purchase another board, replace the bios and recovered the data... thanks to all, but I still will like to salvage the board. I lift both diodes from the board and the 5V still no show.

Comment

Where's the fuse on the picture? Is the big component next to the diodes?.. I purchase another board, replace the bios and recovered the data... thanks to all, but I still will like to salvage the board. I lift both diodes from the board and the 5V still no show.
                    The fuse is the middle part.

Comment

From the article at post #4

7/ What other protection devices does a HDD have?

Some drives (eg 2.5" laptop HDDs) will have a 2A or 4A fuse, others will have a polyswitch, and still others (eg Western Digital) will have a zero-ohm resistor. Some Seagate models will have an inductor in series with the TVS diode, but their function is to filter out high frequency noise, not to provide protection. Unfortunately these inductors are not fusible, so they tend to burn up rather than fail gracefully, leaving a charred mess on the PCB.

Comment

Is the fuse the one in the middle?... if so, I believe is open. I get infinite resistance and no voltage on the other side. I thought it was the diodes, so I remove them. Where can I get these diodes from? and find the value?
                        thanks

Comment

Is the fuse the one in the middle?... if so, I believe is open. I get infinite resistance and no voltage on the other side. I thought it was the diodes, so I remove them. Where can I get these diodes from? and find the value?
                          thanks
                          Read through the thread again...

From post #6 Test the top part first (TVS diode) using the instructions in the link i posted . 5/ How do I test a TVS diode?

From post #8 They seem ok .Its the fuse thats gone.Some resistance measurements would be good ,what model is your meter,post a picture of it.

From post #10 The fuse is the middle part.

So what have you done with the TVS diodes ? ,thrown them away ?

Comment

So what have you done with the TVS diodes ? ,thrown them away ?
                            I have one, the other one, broke from the heat... the one I have says A7 on top. Is there a way to know the type of diode it is?

Also how do I know the right resistance of the fuse? I'm trying not to unsolder the fuse on the good board, as that one is already working fine.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Zentech; 06-16-2021, 12:08 PM.

Comment

I have one, the other one, broke from the heat... the one I have says A7 on top. Is there a way to know the type of diode it is?

Also how do I know the right resistance of the fuse? I'm trying not to unsolder the fuse on the good board, as that one is already working fine.
                              With A7 marking code its probably just a normal diode rather than TVS. The fuse looks like its marked N , if its size is 0603 - https://www.littelfuse.com/products/...fuses/441.aspx
                              Or 1206 - .You should find all the parts on ebay/aliexpress .

Last edited by SMDFlea; 06-16-2021, 02:21 PM.

Comment

With A7 marking code its probably just a normal diode rather than TVS. The fuse looks like its marked N , if its size is 0603 - [url]https://www.littelfu
                                You should find all the parts on ebay/aliexpress .
                                Are you saying any diode will do? is it a zener diode or what kind of diode should I buy? there are hundreds of them...

Comment

Working...
                                X