Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Component blow up, Asus GL704

Hi,

I have a laptop that stopped working, it dont turn on, I removed the battery and plugged the charger still not power On but I have led charge indicator on and after sometimes it start blinking, bcz missing the battery, but if i connect the battery and plug the charger I have nothing (no led on)

after I tried to force power on button for 50sec press, I heard a spark inside, open the pc and inspected it found a component blow up with black fume traces.

that component is connected to the pin 1,2,3 and 4 of the LVDS connector.

as there is no schematic or boardview of this motherboard I checked other asus motherboard I fond something similar on the GL702 (pics Attached).

the component could be a ferrite bead 0603 120Ohm/3A, but could be other thing?

if its a ferrite what is the safest characteristic to test?

PS: please go easy on me im new in this field which I discover and am loving it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ZoOLf; 04-20-2021, 05:51 AM. Reason: duplicated photo

Re: Component blow up, Asus GL704

Any idea, what if i short it with a wire?

Comment

Is one of the pads a ground? If yes probably a capacitor. If no maybe resistor or fuse.

I would not short it as you could make it unrepairable, have you tried to power up without it?
      Last edited by Scotchmist; 04-21-2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotchmist View Post
        Is one of the pads a ground? If yes probably a capacitor. If no maybe resistor or fuse.

I would not short it as you could make it unrepairable, have you tried to power up without it?
        No one of the pads are grounded, and yes i did try power up without it still nothings,

Comment

The side connected to the smd labeled "P" will be a polyfuse, I suspect the small component that blew could be a small inductor and there could be a short in the lvds line or panel/t-con
          Which side, in the picture, of the blown component has the short?
          Last edited by R_J; 04-21-2021, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
            Which side, in the picture, of the blown component has the short?
            Sorry but what do you mean by this?

Comment

Originally posted by ZoOLf View Post
              No one of the pads are grounded, and yes i did try power up without it still nothings,
              What do YOU mean by THIS? one of the pads are grounded... Which pad?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by R_J; 04-22-2021, 11:01 AM.

Comment

What do you mean by THIS? one of the pads are grounded... Which pad?
                I meant that both are NOT grounded

Comment

I meant that both are NOT grounded
                  So one IS GROUNDED? It should NOT be grounded, that's why the component blew up.

Comment

So one IS GROUNDED? It should NOT be grounded, that's why the component blew up.
                    No, i said that both are NOT grounded, none of the pad is connected to the ground.
                    When i test continuity with ground both pad shows OL in multimeter

Comment

Ok, If none of the pads of the blown component are shorted to ground, it could be that the part was a small inductor, and could be replaced with a jumper wire. Do you have voltage on one of the pads when you power it ON?
                      Have you checked for a short with the LVDS cable plugged into the board?
                      Last edited by R_J; 04-22-2021, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Ok, If none of the pads of the blown component are shorted to ground, it could be that the part was a small inductor, and could be replaced with a jumper wire. Do you have voltage on one of the pads when you power it ON?
                        Have you checked for a short with the LVDS cable plugged into the board?
                        The laptop does not power on, but when plug in the charger i have 19.v on one of the pad. (The one with P 1524 component)
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by ZoOLf; 04-22-2021, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Another question, is it normal to have 22v in gate on one of the mosfet when the battery is connected? ( Laptop still dont power On)

Comment

From which mosfets are you speaking about?

It seems your Main Power Rail is fine, because 19V is reaching the Display Circuit. The LVDS Connector at least Looks burnt at Pin4, so could be either an (internal) shorted Connector, Wire or Converter attached to the internal Display. So do Not Plug the Display as Long as this components aren't troubleshooted and Connect Only to external Display.

And let the battery unplugged for the Moment. There May be an additional issue at the Charging Circuit.
                            Last edited by Sephir0th; 04-24-2021, 02:14 AM.
                            FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Sephir0th View Post
                              From which mosfets are you speaking about.
                              This mosfet

Here some mesurement without battery

Please not that the laptop was not working before that component blows up

Also on the pin 8 of bios chip i have only 1.8v, dono if its relevant but in some repaire guide they say it must be 3.3v ...
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ZoOLf; 04-24-2021, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Also on the pin 8 of bios chip i have only 1.8v, dono if its relevant but in some repaire guide they say it must be 3.3v ...
                                Share the top marking of the SPI flash and from where can i Source the Repair Guide?
                                FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Share the top marking of the SPI flash and from where can i Source the Repair Guide?

I checked some repaire video on youtube the guy who own
                                  Electronics repair school chanel he start always by checking the pin 8 if it has the 3.3v before considering the Super I/O is shorted ...
                                  Attached Files

Comment

This IC works with 1.8V, so nothing to worry about and you still didn't answered from where to Source the Repair Guide or did you mean the Videos from Sorin...
                                    Note that there are important difference on some Boards, so there is No way to troubleshoot without using the brain.

Check Voltage of all coils before and after Power Button pressed. Check also RĂ©sistance to ground of all coils, of course with all Power removed.

Edit: Share the results written near the coils on a Pic you took from the motherboard
                                    Last edited by Sephir0th; 04-24-2021, 07:49 AM.
                                    FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

This IC works with 1.8V, so nothing to worry about and you still didn't answered from where to Source the Repair Guide or did you mean the Videos from Sorin...
                                      Note that there are important difference on some Boards, so there is No way to troubleshoot without using the brain.

Check Voltage of all coils before and after Power Button pressed. Check also RĂ©sistance to ground of all coils, of course with all Power removed.

Edit: Share the results written near the coils on a Pic you took from the motherboard

Voltage when button power pressed is a bit tricky will try it.
                                      Edit: nothing changes when power button pressed.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by ZoOLf; 04-24-2021, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Edit: Let me Check your readings

You forgot the Coils on the left Side of CPU & GPU and also the two coils at the lower right of the GPU
                                        Last edited by Sephir0th; 04-24-2021, 08:54 AM.
                                        FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Working...
                                        X