Microsoft Surface RT 32G does not power up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Surface RT 32G does not power up

I got this unit (original surface rt) without any operational history. It fails to power up. Cosmetically, the unit does not have much / any wear signs. The original power adapter light illuminates when connected (doesn't necessarily mean much as it lights even with the battery disconnected from the connector). The power pins show 12v on both output pins. Opened up the unit and checked the battery. Initially, it was showing only 7v (battery rated at 7.4v). Cleaned and reseated the cabling. Left it plugged into ac over night. The battery now shows 7.8v which seems to indicate some form of charge. The result is still the same, no start up. I have tried holding down the power button for 10 sec and then release followed by a tap on the button to attempt a restart up. Nothing. I have tried a few others suggestions that I have found on the net (holding down the volume up or down key with power button, three quick taps on volume up / down, etc).

Was wondering if anyone here has any experiences dealing with these "old" pieces of "technology"? One other thing, I should note is that I plugged into the usb port with a cable to try charging another device from it as I expect that most computer usb ports can / are power charging capable. Nada. I have not dug into the port area yet to see if anything is amiss.

Thanks for any help / guidance to give this thing one last "breath of operational life".

Re: Microsoft Surface RT 32G does not power up

have you found any shorted component on the board?
    If you want to repair this device, you must check the components on its board.

Comment

I don't actually know what I am looking for at this point. Every thing is pretty small.

I noticed a little red light that comes on the mother board when the power button is tapped / pushed and appears to stay on although I haven't sat around watching and waiting on it. The light goes out if the power button is held down for a while ... 5 or more seconds maybe. Almost appears to be some sort of power indicator but it can't be seen from the outside base case (it is blocked by a metal tab of the case) so it is something else.
      Any one know what it indicates?
      Attached Files

Comment

you have to measure voltage on a number of key points of the mainboard. then you can conclude something about this mainboard. To find the key points, you need the schematics file of this mainboard. I hope it be available.

Comment

I haven't been able to track any thing down in terms of schematics... :-(

Unlike TV stuff, there doesn't appear to be a lot of label voltages presented. I have been trying to trace the USB area since I know that 5v should appear there. It doesn't at this point. I have seen / found a place for 5v in the area but it doesn't make it across a very very small SMD component which I don't know what it is / could be.
          I don't see any "fuse type" labeling. I am thinking perhaps some form of "0 ohm" resistor. This would only be related to the USB area which I would think should not impact the system starting up.

Comment

I probably should have titled this as "does not boot up / display anything". I think the red light is a "power on indicator"... why they put it in the back and not viewable without taking off the back cover.

Anyway, I haven't made much progress. As mentioned, was checking around things in the usb area since the usb isn't getting 5v when the red light is lit on the mother board.
            Attached is a photo of the area. The IC controlling 5v to the hdmi area / connector has 5v out while the one for the usb has 0v. Not sure what the IC C5UA is... some sort of switched power regulator?
            Attached Files

Comment

this is the right way you have chosen to discover the problem: finding the voltage rails which are missing.
              the 5v line probably has a control signal that allows it to flow toward the USB port. So, the missing 5v on the USB port may be due to lack of the control signal. that means C5UA may be healthy but does not receive the correct control signal.
              I guess the problem originates from a big IC in the middle area of the mainboard.

Comment

can't find what the "c5ua" device is to see if I could locate a spec sheet ... :-( However, playing with powering, I observed some "interesting events" with the little red light on the motherboard. Basically, if you "tap" the power button ("one press"), the light comes on immediately and stays on "forever" (a very long time... over night if plugged in). If it is on with just the battery, it stay on for a long time... but eventually runs the battery down to about 7v and turns off sometimes during that time.

If you hold the power button for 10 seconds ish, it turns off the light which appears to be a "shutdown mode". With the light on, I let the tablet sit for a bit to see if I could detect any heating to indicate something was running... nada, nothing hot anywhere.
                Then while I was pushing on the "cans" (emi covers of the motherboard), I could cause the red light to come on and also turnoff. I could isolate a bit of the "sensitive can area" in a few areas versus areas which did nothing. Maybe a possible poor connection some where or maybe a cracked track. The press was flexing the motherboard a bit also.

Dumb question, how do you remove the "cans" / covers on the motherboard to look at things under them?

Comment

there are videos on youtube on how to remove the metal covers.
                  Last edited by caspian; 09-04-2019, 02:08 AM.

Comment

I'm guessing they are soldered to the PCB.

Comment

:-( I am doubting that I will be successful at removing these.

Comment

good news. After some more careful looking and strategic prying, I was able to remove the can covers. the bad / good news is I don't see any obvious issues (marks, components, track damage). No obvious labelled points that would help direct investigation without a schematic. :-(

Comment

attached is a picture of the "left side" of the motherboard (end toward the ethernet and ac adapter connector....both just outside of the picture).

closer look appears to show a potential issue with two components associated with the "can section" of the main processor (I think). One of the components in question has no voltage on either side (label could indicate some sort of diode).

Further the "can section" on the far left has no voltages present on any "touchable" smd contact points. Without a schematic, not much else come to mind at this point.
                          Attached Files

Comment

It appears that the components that I was looking at in the previous post are probably ok as the "markings" are probably some form of "component paint". So I need to look around more.

The "can area" that has little / no voltages is the wireless connectivity area. I guess that may be valid if wireless is turnoff.... maybe.
                            Last edited by budwich; 09-04-2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I semi "threw in the towel" and picked up a used MB. The replacement powers up fine and the tablet is functional. Overall, it probably isn't worth the "investment" as MS abandoned this product but some learning is better than nothing and saving a compute device from the trash for a "few more days" gives some good feelings.

In terms of the little red light on the MB. My findings are the light goes solid with power up, after a few seconds (maybe 4-5), it starts to flash as the operating system boots up, than after another 4-5 seconds the screen lights up and the system begins running. Its too bad that MS didn't see fit to provide some form of light indicate externally so that a user could at least tell the system is trying to start / has some form of powering.... all to save a few pennies.
                              Last edited by budwich; 09-24-2019, 05:05 PM.

Comment

looking for recovery file for microsoft rt 32gb

Comment

Originally posted by dustman2 View Post
                                  looking for recovery file for microsoft rt 32gb
                                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...25&postcount=2

All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Working...
                                  X