Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cap. plague in Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cap. plague in Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400?

Originally posted by josipk View Post
    Does anybody recognize the characteristics of schottky diode 34 30 on the picture (red arrow)? How could I test it?
    May be this diode is the solution of reversed polarity problem on Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400?
    Is that diode shorted?

Comment

it could be a 6.2v zener

Comment

Thank you, in the mean time I found the pdf in attach.
        I could test it only on the circuit, on both directions is 0,035 V with diode tester VC303.
        Attached Files

Comment

I've unsolded and tested it with VC303:
          - diode test shows 195 (forward) and 1 (reverse)
          - position 2000 k Ohm shows 106 (forward) and 932 (reverse) Ohm

Comment

Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400, as said before in the posts inoperative because of accidentialy reversed polarity.
            Does somebody have the same scanner with mechanical issue and with good electronic components? I'd buy it. I'd also buy only the main electronic plate of scanner.
            Rgds, Josip

Comment

Got scanner with good plate and now it works ok.

Comment

I'm also trying to repair a Dimage Elite 5400 II (the new model, the one with a LED light not CFL)

I found a 7812 chip that looks like a 12V voltage regulator, but the output is only 2.2V, even when lifting the output from the PCB (I was checking to see if the problem was with the regulator or the circuit following it). See picture attached.

While I find strange that the scanner uses a 12V rail, I cannot see what else that SMD chip could be if not a 7812 voltage regulator. The right pins are connected to GND and +23V, and the output is a lower voltage (albeit the wrong one). I don't think any 78xx chip outputs 2.2V, and even if it were, would not be market 7812, methinks... still I'm concerned about just putting 12V on a board. Any idea?

If anyone reads this and happens to have time to open theirs, could you measure the voltage out from the 7812?

Also, I lost the Dimage scan CD. I do have the driver, just not the scanning software. And, yes, I know I can use VueScan, but it's an extra $90 and I want to try also the original software. Please ping me if you are willing to share a copy of the CD (upload to Onedrive or Google drive)
                Attached Files

Comment

Answering my own post: after looking at a few similar CCD datasheets (couldn't find one that looked exactly like mine), I realized that most CCDs for scanners are indeed powered with 12V. Replacing the 7812 seems to solve all problem, luckily there doesn't seem to be lasting damage.

For what is worth, I'm pretty sure that 6 fast flashes / pulses / blinks of the LED on a Minolta DImage Scan Elite 5400 II mean that the firmware found a CCD imager issue during self test (that explains why it happens right after the LED is pulsed)

Adding here for posterity, just in case anyone else happens to search for the same problem in the future

I'm still looking for the original CD, btw, if anyone would be so kind to share
                  Last edited by robca; 06-12-2019, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Maybe you want this setup utility for Dimage Scan Elite 5400II
                    It doesn't work with Dimage 5400 (first version).

It works perfectly with Windows XP mode on Windows 7 64...

Glad if it can help you

Bertrand
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BGUERBET View Post
                      Maybe you want this setup utility for Dimage Scan Elite 5400II
                      It doesn't work with Dimage 5400 (first version).

It works perfectly with Windows XP mode on Windows 7 64...

Glad if it can help you

Bertrand
                      Apologies, I see this only now. Thanks so much, really appreciated

In the end, though, I realized that the Konica Minolta website does indeed have the full set of utilities and the scanner program. The download was so small (~6 Mb) that I assumed it contained only the driver, but does include everything (ah, the good old times when a complete program could fit on a few floppy disks

I managed to scan ~2,700 slides with the original program, on the latest Windows 10 (just needs the right driver, but the Minolta driver is not a binary, simply a configuration for the Windows built in scanning interface). Amazing how well such an old XP program is working on Win10 X64

Comment

Working...
                      X