Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OC'ing a motherboard from 1998(sarcastic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OC'ing a motherboard from 1998(sarcastic)

Well hello, look what i found: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/612/geforce-210-pci

Apparently nvidia made a GT210 that plugs into a PCI (yes, not PCI Express!) slot. I'm sure you can still find that in stock somewhere.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

https://www.pericom.com/products/pcie-pci-bridges/

PCI-e x1 to PCI / PCI-X bridge chips ... $10 a pop...

You could grab something like a RX 460 and run it on pci and it would probably work acceptable (for 2D and video playback, for 3D the bandwidth would suck), if you could get a 64bit windows work on those systems because AMD only makes 64bit drivers for these new cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
        Well hello, look what i found: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/612/geforce-210-pci

Apparently nvidia made a GT210 that plugs into a PCI (yes, not PCI Express!) slot. I'm sure you can still find that in stock somewhere.
        Nice catch . I have lot of Intel 946gz boards with no AGP slot that can be revived now . I'll equip them with Core2 duo instead of Dual core , and their price will be fairly regained . Thanks .

Comment

There is also the GeForce 9500 on PCI, that may be easier to find and cheaper. Edit: Also a "HD5450 PCI Edition". That gives you quite a few options now.
          Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 10-12-2016, 01:20 AM.
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

There is also the GeForce 9500 on PCI, that may be easier to find and cheaper. Edit: Also a "HD5450 PCI Edition". That gives you quite a few options now.
            Most of my clients are either P.E.S. addicted , or professionals in Video editing and they always want the best for less (usually the less goes for me of course ) , so in price vs performance , GT 210 is better . You know how much today's software eating bits ..

Comment

I think the HD5450 beats it though.

Comment

I think the HD5450 beats it though.
                It could be , but Ati graphic cards are not an optimal option for me . I'm living in a ME country where temperatures can reach 35c in summer and at least for 7 months , especially in Beirut where heat and high moister are a real problem . Heat is our primary enemy , and this where Ati always failed to notice . Toshiba for an example , have made laptops and put this logo on " Approved for ME" . Ati didn't ..

Comment

The 5450, even passively cooled, does not get excessively hot.

Comment

The 5450, even passively cooled, does not get excessively hot.
                    Well man , I have some monsters clients who live on fans eating , believe me .. I trust cooling , but i don't trust my clients , hehe . They are very experts in destroying things .

Comment

Well i know someone who has a computer where the hen come in the house and lay eggs in it.

Comment

Well i know someone who has a computer where the hen come in the house and lay eggs in it.
                        Yes , that's what i'm talking about . One customer opened his case thinking it will be cooler and a mouse nested on the graphic card , lol .. Another one , when bored from games , usually hit the box hardly so he can get another ones .. Real monsters , lol ..

Comment

Man, '98 was nearly the best time for me. 3dFX Voodoo with Matrox Mystique and running Q3. Best LAN-Party's ever. Great moments. Anyone woh remembers Roger Wilco and Gamespy? Dude, why have good times always have to end :p

Comment

For me, 1998 in gaming was Tekken 2 and Mario Kart 64.

1998 in computers I would rather forget, my Packard Bell 3166D (bought for me in late 1997) is literally a doorstop today. Originally a Pentium 166 with 16MB RAM and Windows 95, it was retired in 2001 after being overclocked at 200 MHz with 32MB RAM and Windows 98 SE (eventually I got a real Pentium 200 chip to put in there). The Aztech Labs ISA sound/modem card was terrible (based on a SB Pro which could only play one sound at a time, and the 56K modem connected at 45333 bps at best), and the 2MB S3 ViRGE (onboard video) was worse than terrible. I even had to replace the power supply early in its life as it barely lasted two years, had to borrow a PSU from an old 486 I found just to get it working - it still has the same PSU today.

Comment

Working...
                            X