Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: printer sent a bunch of e-mails!

Originally posted by rhomanski View Post
    That's what zerox was bitching about, the paper. I told them it's the same paper I got 10,000 pages out of the first printer so how could that suddenly cause the toner to come off and the paper to stick after a few hundred sheets on all the rest. I still switched from Georgia Pacific to Hammermill which was $10 more a box with no change. Still messed up at about the same number of sheets. The Hammermill is labeled "Copy" 99.99% jam free! It should be with the ink jet. Zerox said I had to use laser jet paper and not even one labeled for both. I told them I'd have to mail order it, Wal Mart doesn't carry it around here.
    We're using Georgia Pacific in our Brother laser right now with no problems. I know they had some firmware a while back that was supposed to help prevent paper jams or something. Maybe we just haven't printed enough yet or maybe we just got lucky and got a good printer.
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Honestly I think the design life is around 10,000 sheets for a printer. Brother made me ship four printers back to them and then finally sent me a new one which got me past the warranty period. Zerox told me it was new but it obviously wasn't. The first one was new and I got about 10,000 pages out of it. The next 5 they sent obviously were wore out like the one I wore out. I used Georgia Pacific in mine for 10,000 pages with no problem. They were just looking for an excuse instead of honoring the warranty in the right way. So, no more zerox for me.
      sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Sorry but I had to laugh at the stuff your printer did with your email account! Wonder what the firmware designers were thinking to make it do that.

Yeah HP Laserjet 4 / 5s were really solid, I regret getting rid of mine. I use a 1010 now, it's 13 years old and well, it works - on its second toner cartridge, no heavy use here.

Comment

Originally posted by dan8139 View Post
          Sorry but I had to laugh at the stuff your printer did with your email account! Wonder what the firmware designers were thinking to make it do that.

Yeah HP Laserjet 4 / 5s were really solid, I regret getting rid of mine. I use a 1010 now, it's 13 years old and well, it works - on its second toner cartridge, no heavy use here.
          Yea same here, both the laughing part and getting rid of my HP LaserJet 4
          I bought a HP color LaserJet 2605DN many years ago.
          It developed a problem with the toner though, it made stripes on the paper
          I replaced all toners but this time used aftermarket, they worked for a while but now again got the stripes on the paper.
          Should not have used aftermarket toner, I opened it to have a look and toner has leaked out of the cassettes
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I don't want to sound like a "Brothers" defender although i prefer them over hps , but this problem can be from a malfunction in the digital board , or a random stuck in "Menu"and "Minus plus" buttons " , as send by E-mail is one option in the menu .
            Origin of the problem could be a spillage of something on the buttons .

Comment

Originally posted by dan8139 View Post
              I think the idea is we setup an e-mail address specifically for the printer and any e-mail that gets sent to it gets printed. That way, maybe we can do some fax-to-pc thing or something weird like that, you know? The problem was trying to cancel the freaking thing. It's impossible! And Brother's tech support is extremely lacking.

I don't know how many times I had to ask the same question, is there away to clear the print jobs (empty the print queue) from the printer itself, without using a PC? And I don't know how many freaking times they sent me a link on how to clear the print queue using Windows control panel!

I tried explaining it so many ways and it was just impossible. Finally, they said we're sorry you can't print from Windows. At this point, we'd like you to call in for support. And I'm thinking what?! Where the heck did you guys get the idea I cannot print from Windows?? It's like they're not even reading what I'm writing!!!!

I just gave up on the tech support and figure if there's away, I'll never know it. Hitting the red X wasn't doing it. Normally, that's how you cancel A job. Not all of them, but one of them. I tried, many times to hit that...I even tried holding it down. On their older printers, I guess you just hold down the Go button for 4 seconds or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                Yea same here, both the laughing part and getting rid of my HP LaserJet 4
                I bought a HP color LaserJet 2605DN many years ago.
                It developed a problem with the toner though, it made stripes on the paper
                I replaced all toners but this time used aftermarket, they worked for a while but now again got the stripes on the paper.
                Should not have used aftermarket toner, I opened it to have a look and toner has leaked out of the cassettes
                I don't remember a lot about lasers and how they work and stuff, but could it have been something besides the toner? Ie, the drum, the fuser (I think that's what they're called), etc?

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                  I don't want to sound like a "Brothers" defender although i prefer them over hps , but this problem can be from a malfunction in the digital board , or a random stuck in "Menu"and "Minus plus" buttons " , as send by E-mail is one option in the menu .
                  Origin of the problem could be a spillage of something on the buttons .
                  I don't think so. I know the feature you're talking about and that's what I was trying to set up. One of those scan a document into your e-mail application as a file attachment thing. But the problem was the opposite. In the printer's web server interface, there's an option to setup all the various e-mail stuff. I mistakenly thought I needed to fill in all the settings, including the POP3 settings.

POP3 is for receiving e-mail, not sending it. And when I configured it, the printer did what it was supposed to do, it connected to my POP3 server and started downloading the e-mails. The issue was not being able to stop it!!! I don't think there's a setting anywhere, at least not one that I could find, that would turn it off. It's either always on and it polls (check every x amount of seconds) or it's off. Once it started, I couldn't stop it. Even after clearing the settings. I think this is a firmware bug. Once the POP3 settings are clear, it shouldn't try to connect anymore. But I think what happened, it went a bit like this:

1) I entered POP3 settings
                  2) The printer successfully connects to gmail and downloads a chunk of my e-mails.
                  3) I realize what's going on and clear the POP3 settings.
                  4) The printer, because it had already started, didn't stop. Clearing the POP3 settings should have aborted the 2) step here but it didn't. Once it started, it just wouldn't stop.

Trying to talk to Brother about it, freaking nightmare. I was thinking maybe it's a language problem. Maybe the e-mail tech support aren't people who understand English very well and maybe they just don't fully understand what I'm saying. Or!!! Maybe Brother hires a call center and they don't actually know anything about the printers. They just search for the problem in some database and point people to links that tell them how to fix shit. My exact problem might not have been in their database so they just found something that kinda matched and was like here, there ya go!

Also, I agree, even though I had this mishap, I think these Brother printers are a lot better than the HP's I've used. I was a huge HP fan and when we were looking for a laser / LED, I came here asking about HP. When i knew them (HP 4 / HP 5's), they were real good. Their inkjets aren't the greatest. We got a Photosmart C5280 All-in-One. It's probably one of their last okay printers. We paid way too much and it's not worth what we paid, but it's still an alright printer. I am glad I went with this Brother LED. If I had a chance to do it again, I would. There's a few things I don't really like about it though. The paper tray feels a bit cheap. I wish we could use two paper types at once. You know, put one type of paper in a tray and another higher quality paper in another tray. But eh, that's something we can live with. Also, I think it should have came with the larger tray and they should just do away with the smaller trays. They make one that can hold 500 sheets. That'd be perfect. We'll buy it eventually.
                  Last edited by Spork Schivago; 07-18-2016, 12:27 PM. Reason: added content.

Comment

the laser draws the image onto the drum.
                    the drum then picks up the toner using static and presses it onto the paper - also charged.
                    then the paper goes into the fuser assembly consisting of a pair of rollers - top one is teflon coated, lower one is heated.
                    the toner contains thermal glue - so it sticks to the paper.

if the toner is rubbing off the paper then the fuser unit is bad or the power going to it is bad.
                    they are simple things, the lower roller is hollow and contains a mains powered halogen lamp.

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                      Also, I think it should have came with the larger tray and they should just do away with the smaller trays. They make one that can hold 500 sheets. That'd be perfect. We'll buy it eventually.
                      they make models with multiple trays, or larger trays.
                      but they cost a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        the laser draws the image onto the drum.
                        the drum then picks up the toner using static and presses it onto the paper - also charged.
                        then the paper goes into the fuser assembly consisting of a pair of rollers - top one is teflon coated, lower one is heated.
                        the toner contains thermal glue - so it sticks to the paper.

if the toner is rubbing off the paper then the fuser unit is bad or the power going to it is bad.
                        they are simple things, the lower roller is hollow and contains a mains powered halogen lamp.
                        Thanks for the refresher! If I still worked in the corporate environment, I bet I'd be knowing this stuff like the back of my hand.

I checked on the price of the 500 sheet paper tray for my printer. Damn! Around 200$ for a freaking tray! And repair kits are a bit pricey too. Basically just rollers, toner collection trays, etc.

Comment

they make models with multiple trays, or larger trays.
                          but they cost a lot more.
                          For lasers? I thought all of them would have come with them! I think there might be a second tray somewheres around here. I want to say I remember seeing an option of printing from one of two trays but not too sure. I don't physically see a place to put another sheet of paper. Maybe it's inside the main paper tray. You know, like some have a spot for small paper (for little pictures) and then a place for normal 8.5 x 11.

Comment

a lot of brother printers have a fold-down trapdoor on the rear for manual sheet feed for thick paper or card that could be miss-refered to as a tray maybe.

Comment

a lot of brother printers have a fold-down trapdoor on the rear for manual sheet feed for thick paper or card that could be miss-refered to as a tray maybe.
                              Or to clear jammed paper , you missed that ,lol .

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                                I don't think so. I know the feature you're talking about and that's what I was trying to set up. One of those scan a document into your e-mail application as a file attachment thing. But the problem was the opposite. In the printer's web server interface, there's an option to setup all the various e-mail stuff. I mistakenly thought I needed to fill in all the settings, including the POP3 settings.

POP3 is for receiving e-mail, not sending it. And when I configured it, the printer did what it was supposed to do, it connected to my POP3 server and started downloading the e-mails. The issue was not being able to stop it!!! I don't think there's a setting anywhere, at least not one that I could find, that would turn it off. It's either always on and it polls (check every x amount of seconds) or it's off. Once it started, I couldn't stop it. Even after clearing the settings. I think this is a firmware bug. Once the POP3 settings are clear, it shouldn't try to connect anymore. But I think what happened, it went a bit like this:

1) I entered POP3 settings
                                2) The printer successfully connects to gmail and downloads a chunk of my e-mails.
                                3) I realize what's going on and clear the POP3 settings.
                                4) The printer, because it had already started, didn't stop. Clearing the POP3 settings should have aborted the 2) step here but it didn't. Once it started, it just wouldn't stop.

Trying to talk to Brother about it, freaking nightmare. I was thinking maybe it's a language problem. Maybe the e-mail tech support aren't people who understand English very well and maybe they just don't fully understand what I'm saying. Or!!! Maybe Brother hires a call center and they don't actually know anything about the printers. They just search for the problem in some database and point people to links that tell them how to fix shit. My exact problem might not have been in their database so they just found something that kinda matched and was like here, there ya go!

Also, I agree, even though I had this mishap, I think these Brother printers are a lot better than the HP's I've used. I was a huge HP fan and when we were looking for a laser / LED, I came here asking about HP. When i knew them (HP 4 / HP 5's), they were real good. Their inkjets aren't the greatest. We got a Photosmart C5280 All-in-One. It's probably one of their last okay printers. We paid way too much and it's not worth what we paid, but it's still an alright printer. I am glad I went with this Brother LED. If I had a chance to do it again, I would. There's a few things I don't really like about it though. The paper tray feels a bit cheap. I wish we could use two paper types at once. You know, put one type of paper in a tray and another higher quality paper in another tray. But eh, that's something we can live with. Also, I think it should have came with the larger tray and they should just do away with the smaller trays. They make one that can hold 500 sheets. That'd be perfect. We'll buy it eventually.
                                One sure way to affirm it's a bug and not a random button stuck or spillage is to repeat the experiment , lol , but let me assure you in any case , i feel sympathy to your worries about sending the old Emails for clients and i'm trying to help..

Are you by the way a heavy smoker or your Jess ? ..Nicotine vapors can do lot of damage and can infiltrate anything .
                                Last edited by jiroy; 07-19-2016, 12:04 AM.

Comment

By the way I prefer Brother's because in their inkjets i can lock their color sensors by blinding the Color cartridges , leaving printing for only black and white . that's all . All new brands are very weak and poor design , like anything else . Just check the connectors gold coating on any item in any kind of Electronics .

Comment

are you talking about that section of the cartridge with a float in it? what do you do - pvc tape?

Comment

are you talking about that section of the cartridge with a float in it? what do you do - pvc tape?
                                      Yes . A very very elastic tape can do the job . Printer won't detect it from the first time and ask to replace cartridges , i replace it and control center show them full color .

Comment

I thought that back door was just for clearing paper jams and the paper would print out there, I didn't realize that could be an input. We found a door in the front like that as well, above the paper tray. I thought that was an input, but nope, it's an output.

It'd be nice if the back was an input, then maybe this printer supports poster printing. That's something I really want. I want to make custom labels for these old radio shack cabinets I bought when they were going out of business. I got four of them. They were pricey. I wish I had gotten all 8 now. They're cool. They got these pull out drawers and inside, this bins so I can put all kinds of components, like resistors, capacitors, etc. The front of the drawers have a slot for a giant label that says what's in the drawers. Some guy on-line bought the same stuff and was using his drawers for lego's or something. He sold me all his labels for 20$. I think that was a great deal.

But now, I think it'd be nice if I could just print custom ones. There's certain things I'll never have, like those old school light bulbs for cars. I use LEDs for just about everything. Also, their capacitor selection wasn't the best. I probably have caps that don't "fit" in their categories.

The labels are a bit thicker, cardboard like. I bet I can open the front of the LED printer and open the back door. I can put a long blank thick label in the back and it'd print out the front, without bending it much. That'd be great!!!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                                          One sure way to affirm it's a bug and not a random button stuck or spillage is to repeat the experiment , lol , but let me assure you in any case , i feel sympathy to your worries about sending the old Emails for clients and i'm trying to help..

Are you by the way a heavy smoker or your Jess ? ..Nicotine vapors can do lot of damage and can infiltrate anything .
                                          Thanks for the information. It'll be hard to replicate without causing the same issues. I will have to do it just right. I mean, I can let it connect back to my mail server and download a billion e-mails and send confirmation messages to everyone again (I can't seem to find the option to turn off those confirmation messages). Or, I can setup a new mail account but I'd have to make sure it has enough e-mails, like 100 or so. Maybe I can write a simple bash script or something that loops 100 times and just sends me e-mails to the new e-mail account.

I used to smoke but never inside because I know the damage it causes to PCs. Jess has never smoked. I gave it up, with the help of the good people here at BadCaps.net, a while back. I got great support and advice and it wasn't nearly as hard as I was expecting. I think that's because of the support network I had here.

Comment

Working...
                                          X