Fake Panasonic cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake Panasonic cap?

Few days ago I replaced 5 capacitors on an industrial board.

One was completely bulged.

They were Panasonic FK type... but I suspect they were fake because the vent was not the classical T.

I post here some photos to have your opinion.

I was surprise because they were mounted on an UPS of a well known Italian company... and I can't believe they buy fake components.

Ciao
    Gianni
    Attached Files
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
    H. J. Brown

Re: Fake Panasonic cap?

It looks fake to me. Some of Panasonic's high voltage caps have an X-shaped vent, but I think a cap that size would have the T vent. The bottom seal and printing are definitely wrong.

Comment

Fake for sure...

No T vent, and I've never seen Panasonic caps with that seal.
      Print is off and there's no stamped date/lot code.

Looks like some "Hermei" or similar trash...
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
      Originally posted by shango066
      All style and no substance.
      Originally posted by smashstuff30
      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

100% fake.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

wrong colour anyway, FK series have a purple sleeve with gold print - not black.

Comment

Thanks to all for confirm my suspect.

I really don't understand why a well known company use fake components... and I'm not speaking of consumer appliances but industrial/professional products.

Regards
            Gianni
            "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
            H. J. Brown

Comment

You should e-mail them and ask.
              Perhaps they have bought the caps and not knowing they where fakes?
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

tell the company the serial number of the unit ..it might be a fake unit ..it does happen .

Comment

Two employers ago I worked for a largish maker of motor controllers. Generally, the company bought only from component manufacturers and authorized distributors. But every once in a while there were brief shortages of a particular part - none available, except from the "gray market" of non-authorized distributors. Perhaps that is what happened in this case.

Our practice, in situations like the above, was to obtain samples of the gray-market parts and have them verified by the component engineering people (of whom I was one). In one case the counterfeit caps were so bad that I didn't even need to open the bag of parts - the sleeve was the wrong color. In another case, some gray-market power MOSFETs, not only were we able to detect that they were fake, but we could tell what they actually were (a good part, but not as good as what they supposedly were).
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Well, I have informed my friend that asked me to replace capacitors, but I don't think he will proceed to inform the UPS maker.

The UPS has worked fine for 8 years and was still working when my friend saw the bulged capacitor.
                    He asked me to replace capacitors because usually the company doesn't do this kind of service... they prefer to sell a new board and it costs some hundred euro.

PeteS in CA probably you work for a serious and professional company, this is not the same with this UPS maker.

Ciao
                    Gianni
                    H. J. Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Gianni View Post
                      a serious and professional company, this is not the same with this UPS maker...

Ciao
                      Gianni
                      Who likely sourced a "standard" design someplace, and had it branded/customized with their name. Or was semi-legit, and the fake parts got subbed in after the initial samples/prototypes arrived and were approved.
                      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                      Originally posted by shango066
                      All style and no substance.
                      Originally posted by smashstuff30
                      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

8 years is pretty good .. expensive batteries should have put you off by then ..

Comment

Working...
                        X