Sony KDL-37XBR6 Black Screen :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-37XBR6 Black Screen :(

I have a Sony KDL-37XBR6 that recently went black! I can see some lighting at the top in the back, but front stays black. Only thing I noticed is there is a very faint light that comes on then goes off after a couple of seconds.

Also, if I press on the front screen, I can see a small white light. It also appears to be stuck on one channel as I can't lower or raise both the channel buttons or the volume button. It does have volume, but only at one level. I'd like to fix it myself, rather then trashing it.

Can anyone advise me what I can do to get it back working properly? Would really appreciate it!!

Thanks,

John G

Re: Sony KDL-37XBR6 Black Screen

You can start by providing good clear pictures of the whole backside of the TV showing all the boards so we can see what we are dealing with.
    Do you have tools and what is your skill level?
    What is your country AC Voltage?
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
      You can start by providing good clear pictures of the whole backside of the TV showing all the boards so we can see what we are dealing with.
      Do you have tools and what is your skill level?
      What is your country AC Voltage?
      Hi Budm! Thanks for your reply!

Yes I have some skill level with very basic electronic knowledge. I can remove the screws on the back and take a photo and upload it. I should have all the tools to do this. Looks like mainly Phillips screw heads.

The voltage here is 115-120V.

I'll try and upload some photos as soon as I can.

Thanks again bro!

Comment

Hello again

I finally took the back panel off to get photos of the inside.
        It looks to me like they have 4 pcb's that connects one to the other.

I had to take 3 separate photos as it's fairly wide for my iPhone.

The first photo is the back left side, middle, and the right side.
        Attached Files

Comment

Here are some more photos of the individual components. Perhaps this will help more!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Gammaray; 08-07-2018, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaray View Post
              Here are some more photos of the individual components. Perhaps this will help more!
              Try dis-connecting one at a time the 2 blue ribbon connector from T-CON board to the panel and power-up the TV. Update here the results.
              Last edited by sidds; 08-07-2018, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sidds View Post
                Try dis-connecting one at a time the 2 blue ribbon connector from T-CON board to the panel and power-up the TV. Update here the results.
                Hi sidds, I did like you said and removed each ribbon connector one at a time, turned the power button on, but nothing.

I notice when I plug the cord in the A/C outlet, that the main power supply board makes a click noise, then when unplugged it makes the same click noise. I assume that this is normal?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

With the lvds cable connected to the T-con board do you have any voltage on both sides of the small fuse on the t-con board? It should be around 12 volts. The fuse is just to the right of the lvds cable and is marked 3A

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaray View Post
                    Hi sidds, I did like you said and removed each ribbon connector one at a time, turned the power button on, but nothing.

I notice when I plug the cord in the A/C outlet, that the main power supply board makes a click noise, then when unplugged it makes the same click noise. I assume that this is normal?

Thanks for your help!
                    BUT I notice in the posted picture with blue cables that the cable on the other side of the tcon is disconnected... it needs to be connected during the test where you disconnect the blue cables one at a time.
                    Last edited by budwich; 08-08-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                      With the lvds cable connected to the T-con board do you have any voltage on both sides of the small fuse on the t-con board? It should be around 12 volts. The fuse is just to the right of the lvds cable and is marked 3A
                      Hi RJ, Thanks for the info. I will try and get a measurement tomorrow, and post it here. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                        BUT I notice in the posted picture with blue cables that the cable on the other side of the tcon is disconnected... it needs to be connected during the test where you disconnect the blue cables one at a time.
                        Hi bud, yes the cable was connected back when I tried disconnecting the 2 ribbon cables one by one. When disconnecting the left blue cable, I turned the power on, and nothing on the front screen. Then I plugged it back in and did the same to the right cable, still nothing on front screen.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                          I did measure each side of that resistor, but nothing! Using my Fluke DMM, I used the ground on the pcb and checked both sides of the resistor for voltage, but nothing! I can see where they have some small copper circular contacts that I tried to see if they have voltage, and there was voltage on the few I checked. Should I measure everyone and report back what they are?

Thanks again!

Comment

Bump

Comment

you need to check the voltages associated with the power board ... they should be written near the connectors in question. Note that, some voltages only appear briefly during startup when the set doesn't complete the startup successfully so you have to monitor those right away during power up / on.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                you need to check the voltages associated with the power board ... they should be written near the connectors in question. Note that, some voltages only appear briefly during startup when the set doesn't complete the startup successfully so you have to monitor those right away during power up / on.
                                Are you talking about measuring the DC voltage that comes from the power board that connects to the main board/ video board?

Comment

It appears that the issue is a high probability of being the main/video board. The one for my TV is a hard to get part! I may just end up trashing it! Or maybe I can list the good parts for sale on ebay! I can promise that I will never buy a SONY again!

Comment

Can you give the voltage readings at the connector along with pin number, pin name, Standby ON, Standby Off
                                    Example
                                    Pin No.......Name.........Standby ON..........Standby Off
                                    Pin 1.........12V...............0.0V.................11.9V
                                    Pin 2........
                                    etc.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by dick_barton; 08-11-2018, 01:47 PM.
                                    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
                                      Can you give the voltage readings at the connector along with pin number, pin name, Standby ON, Standby Off
                                      Example
                                      Pin No.......Name.........Standby ON..........Standby Off
                                      Pin 1.........12V...............0.0V.................11.9V
                                      Pin 2........
                                      etc.
                                      Hi, I will try and get those voltages when I get a chance. I take it that I can use any of the ground terminals on that connector to get the voltage readings?

Thanks!

Comment

OK, I unplugged the harness/wires from the power supply board and plugged in the main AC plug. I get no voltage readings on the 13 pins that are there! Am I doing this correctly? Not sure if I have to leave that connector plugged on the PSB? I also noticed that there was no clicking noise when AC is plugged in and also unplugged! It does make this clicking noise when everything is connected.

Comment

Working...
                                        X