Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer jobs that are like kicking yourself in nuts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer jobs that are like kicking yourself in nuts.

Well a few weeks ago I got a iBook G3 900 14 inch off ebay for cheap, had a issue with the backlight going out then finally wouldn't come on at all. I read it could be a GPU or inverter cable issue.

Before taking the whole unit apart I tried to swap a good known screen and inverter to no avail so I ordered the inverter/reed switch cable assembly and put it in today. took me 1hr and 45 mins.

This job is like kicking yourself in your own balls it sucked so bad, but every screw went back in the same spot and its working great as we speak.

Heres a guide showing the 60 or so easy steps.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iBook+G...placement/4201
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Re: Computer jobs that are like kicking yourself in nuts.

Even worse than that is decrapifying a laptop that came with w10, and trying to find w7 drivers for it. Gotten a few of those......it sucks. Unless I really know the person, I turn them away anymore.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

lol
      i tell them to contact microsoft for product support!

only thing i do with windows is remove it.

Comment

Yeah windows 7 seems really hard to get to work on a newer machine, my ryzen rig in my sig had 7 but I kept having driver issues and I had to install a 3rd party util so I would get updates as Microsoft wouldn't allow updates for 7 on Ryzen hardware, ran it that way for a good year, then I wanted a NVME drive and I didn't want to deal with all the trouble of installing 7 on that so 10 it is, I don't love 10 but it seems to be a necessary evil if running a new machine.
        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

fool

Comment

Repairs for other people suck for me. They blame me and then tell me that I don't know what I'm doing.

Laptop repairs suck because it's hard to find good parts. I got a lot of used, broken, and badly repaired junk that was sold as new.

If you want specific difficult repairs, I never fixed anything on my old Gateway Solo 2500. Most repairs are a pain in the ass, especially with the brittle 20-year-old plastic.

Comment

iMac and apple laptop repairs in general. Consumer laptop motherboard/LCD screen work (lots of screws and flimsy plastic). Supmermicro backplane cables/connectors (ship in a bottle kind of mess). Big motherboards in small cases (guilty!).
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

For laptops... if it's _not_ a Dell Latitdue, I don't touch it anymore. I make very few exceptions and always with a disclaimer that something could always go wrong in my hands (hence, if you don't feel comfortable with me working on it, then don't give it to me.)

Modern laptops are too flimsy to work on. And often even if you replace a defective part (say a bad LCD hinge or whatever), the problem eventually comes back. Modern laptops have simply become too thin for their own good. And with Windows 10... can't really do much to fix if it's messed up. Just backup and reinstall, let user muck it up again, then repeat ad-infinitum. With XP, 7, and even Vista, at least you can turn off certain services and things in the OS to make it more secure. In 10, the next major update can sometimes undo pretty much everything. It's like pissing in the wind - never know when it will come back and hit you in the face.

If I ever put Windows 10 on a PC for myself, it would probably be either only for gaming or light browsing. No personal data on it, ever. I actually kind of do that now with my gaming PC anyways: due to some "free" (and even paid) games having EULAs that pretty much state they can take entire "snapshots" of your memory for purposes of checking for cheaters, I don't keep anything important on those PCs. What if I had a browser open with some personal info on it, and a game took a memory dump of my PC and then sent it to whoever it does - that's a security risk right there! Thus, I always keep my game PCs and work PCs separate now. They are next to each other physically, but separate.
                Last edited by momaka; 04-28-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I've been asked more and more if I take in phones & tablets for repair..... Instant NO!!
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    I've been asked more and more if I take in phones & tablets for repair..... Instant NO!!

Same here. I don't touch these - no exceptions this time at all. For modern laptops, you could convince me if you really really really tried hard. Phones and tablets - NO.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post

...For modern laptops, you could convince me if you really really really tried hard.
                      Same.....for example, THIS THREAD.....this is a good friend of mine who has done a lot of favors for me....I really couldn't tell him no...but it was a frackin' headache!!
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Same.....for example, THIS THREAD.....this is a good friend of mine who has done a lot of favors for me....I really couldn't tell him no...but it was a frackin' headache!!
                        Thankfully, the friend that I "can't refuse" uses ToughBooks (no comment). They, at least, have the saving grace of coming apart with screws -- gazillions of them!

As for "PCs", my preference is for server-class machines -- they usually aren't pressed for space and are designed to make servicing (esp FRUs) relatively easy.

[Old Mac's -- 68040's -- were delightfully easy to service, too!]

Comment

I'll work on them if it's family (like the time I Mobo swapped a chromebook for my cousin, which is kinda a tablet?) or if it's something I've bought for cheap. But otherwise, not my thing. I have a coworker who's into servicing iPhones (and makes good side money doing it) so I never get asked, knock on wood.
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

That's what I looked like, when certain people tried to force me to live or even spend a single night in a dumpy house! (Back in 2016)

Especially houses with shit electrical stuff and of course, a foundation wall that was broken to hell, probably contributing to many house problems!
                            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 04-29-2019, 07:14 PM.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

btw,
                              on android devices, ADB should be enabled as soon as they come out of the box.
                              then if the screen gets smashed or anything, as long as it boots the contents can still be downloaded.
                              if ADB is off then you are probably SOL.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                btw,
                                then if the screen gets smashed or anything, as long as it boots the contents can still be downloaded.
                                QFT

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 with a dead touchscreen/digitizer. It boots just fine, but I can't do fuckall with it. Need to save up the money to get the equipment to yank the NAND out of it and dump it to my computer.
                                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  btw,
                                  There's a reason it's disabled out of the box, security. There are a plethora of ways to backup without leaving a gaping hole.

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                  QFT

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 with a dead touchscreen/digitizer. It boots just fine, but I can't do fuckall with it. Need to save up the money to get the equipment to yank the NAND out of it and dump it to my computer.
                                  If the phone is fine and it's just your screen that's bust, buy yourself a MHL adapter with HDMI and USB, plug in a mouse and TV and you're good to retrieve whatever.

Comment

Phones and tablets - NO.
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOO5ZVm2EN0

Feel better now?
                                    Like using a sledgehammer to crack a peanut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqW4djlQUoE

Plasti-Dell at 0:56

I had one of those POSes. To be fair, after de-vista'ing, not as much of a POS til it fell apart.
                                    I baseball-batted it, right thru the LCD!
                                    EOLed the RAM & CPU in muriatic acid+vinegar.

"pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                    Originally posted by shango066
                                    All style and no substance.
                                    Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Yeah i remember someone asked me to repair a newer HP Pavillion laptop cause the battery wasn't holding a charge.

Unfortunately i couldn't find the battery to remove it,turns out the battery was inside. I did manage to replace the battery by taking the bottom piece apart and the battery has to be removed with a screwdriver i did find the battery had bulged a bit. I had some trouble unscrewing it but managed to replace it, i prefer laptops that have batteries easy to replace like my Dell Latitude D630, not having to take apart the laptop just to replace a battery.
                                      Last edited by coreAngel; 05-13-2019, 04:38 PM.
                                      Yes i love Nichicon MUSE Audio Capacitors...they would look awesome all over any motherboard

Comment

Originally posted by coreAngel View Post
                                        Yeah i remember someone asked me to repair a newer HP Pavillion laptop cause the battery wasn't holding a charge.

Unfortunately i couldn't find the battery to remove it,turns out the battery was inside. I did manage to replace the battery by taking the bottom piece apart and the battery has to be removed with a screwdriver i did find the battery had bulged a bit. I had some trouble unscrewing it but managed to replace it, i prefer laptops that have batteries easy to replace like my Dell Latitude D630, not having to take apart the laptop just to replace a battery.
                                        How about an iphone....I hear-tell that people love changing batteries on those...
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                        X