Angled multimeter probes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angled multimeter probes

Good day folks. Here's something which I'd find incredibly handy but can't seem to find for the life of me: multimeter probes which have their tips bent pretty close to 90 degrees to allow for easier working under a magnifier. Louis Rossmann seems to have these but I can't tell what they are or if they're actually something homebrew. Maybe there's some really fancy technical term for them that I don't know and that's why I haven't been able to find any, so perhaps someone can set me straight on that.

I was actually thinking of making my own: I have some probe handles (just the plastic+wire part) which came with an assortment of tips and connectors and these screw onto the end of the plastic handles which take a standard M3 thread. I was thinking of fashioning some tips out of something like paper clips or other thin yet stiff metal which can be bent rather easily but actually retains its shape afterwards. It'd then be relatively easy to terminate these with a lug through which I'd pass a short M3 bolt to attach to the end of the plastic part. I'd then sharpen the tips up a bit and there's that. Trouble is I'm not sure if they'd actually STAY sharp overtime, as paper clips are relatively flimsy metal...that's one thing I've noticed with most of my tips: they dull rather quickly, but that could be normal and I'm expecting too much of them, so I occasionally have to take them to a piece of sandpaper or even a grinding stone to get them looking decent again. Any thoughts ? Cheers.
    Wattevah...

Re: Angled multimeter probes

rossman is using tip extensions you find on ali-express - he bent them himself.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      rossman is using tip extensions you find on ali-express - he bent them himself.
      I have those too. Those caps that slip over the end of the probes. The reason I haven't tried bending them is because my dad believed they'd snap when doing so, since they're made of steel and would have to be heated up first. I think I'll go for it - YOLO
      Wattevah...

Comment

steel bends, brass does not.
        spring-steel also does not.
        but heat is a good idea - if it wont melt the plastic

Comment

Went ahead and tried it, mostly on a whim upon getting out of bed today Grabbed it with a pair of pliers and in about 5 seconds I got what I wanted So it can be done. Cheers.
          Attached Files
          Wattevah...

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
            Went ahead and tried it, mostly on a whim upon getting out of bed today Grabbed it with a pair of pliers and in about 5 seconds I got what I wanted So it can be done. Cheers.

Comment

rossmann is now using these - gotta get a pair!
              https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Prac...848907433.html

Comment

Have them - 3 sets in fact
                Wattevah...

Comment

wfh good catch, was using my own custom made ones using very thin syringe needles.
                  Got to buy!

Comment

My super pros at work also struggle with all sorts of ghetto solutions like that instead of getting proper stuff...their probes are like 10 years old, patched and taped over and over again...never have I seen so much ignorance in once place as in this joint >_>
                    Wattevah...

Comment

I like these :
                      https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Car-Mult...UAAOSw4~1cc0B7

Easy to bend at 90 for 3 mm or so.

Comment

Working...
                      X