Gigabyte 7VAX repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte 7VAX repair

I have a gigabyte 7vax that was in use for just over a year.
    It had 4 1500uf 6.3v GSC capacitors around the cpu socket, 2 of these bubbled and leaked. The system was completely unstable, blue screening and rebooting constantly.

It has been replaced so I just wanted to play around with it after reading a bit about replacing caps.
    I dug out my trusty soldering wand, (just a plug in always on cheapy with a huge tip!), and pulled out a dead MSI board with failed capacitors around the dimm slots. It had 5 Nichicon 4700uf 6.3v capacitors, these were silver aluminum looking, no color at all and fairly large, I removed these and noticed they would not fit in one location do to size contraints. So I found a dead intel board i dug out of a dell. It had 3 Rubycon 3300uf 6.3v capacitors that I could put to use.

I removed all 4 GSC caps from my play board, only 2 of which were bad, but figured what the hell, might as well try it right the first time.

I installed 2 Rubycon 3300uf 6.3v caps in the location right behind the printer port, fit perfect. I installed the remaining Rubycon at the other location, then for the 4th cap at the second location i used one of the big 4700uf Nichicons.

Setup board with a 700 duron (no biggy if i fried it), installed winxp, ran prime 95 for about 30 min, worked great.

Pulled out a AIUHB 2100+, installed, ran prime 95 for 2 hours, worked great. Turned up the front side bus to 166, nice overclock, ran prime95 for about 6 hours this afternoon, worked perfect.

So board seems to work well so far, but after reading up some more, wonder how bad it is that I replaced the 4 1500uf caps with 3 3300uf's and a 4700uf? This cause problems in future?

if the converter can start against the discharged caps without hitting overcurrent shutdown then ok.
    just means cleaner power.

Comment

Working...
    X