Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which ic generally used for software updates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which ic generally used for software updates?

How do you get into programming an eeprom? Physically removing it and placing it into a programmer or? I'm not familiar with this at all but sounds interesting and would like to play around with it

Comment

I have copied and wrote to EEPROMs while they were soldered to the board but I have a feeling they are corrupted that way. I have better success when I remove them from the board. And don't get a cheap programmer because you will be forced to buy a better one anyway. My programmer is a ( SP8-A ) This one is great for a low price but if you want to spend some money I seen some $500 and up. Those ones on eBay are cheap. The only one on eBay worth buying is the SP8-A and there is others like the SP16 but they are over $100. I bought 2 on eBay before I bought my SP8 and they are junk.

So yes, you have to physically remove the IC and place it in the programmer. You can NOT remove the IC with a soldering iron, you will need Hot Air Rework Station. I have a Gaoyue 858 found on eBay for $36.00

You will need flux and heat protection tape. Electronic aluminum or heat tape.

Comment

OK, so I found the TV I was taking about. It is a Insignia NS-39D240A13. This TV has a problem with cycling colors and if anyone thinks it is an easy fix you are wrong, maybe on most TVs but not this one. It is a firmware problem and Insignia turned their back on everyone and said tough luck, too bad.

So if anyone thinks they can modify this EEPROM file to disable the Color Cycling then I will be willing to test it.

I started a new thread here.
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55599

I believe this is the EEPROM file, I will have to verify it tomorrow.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Shane711; 07-14-2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

So that is the correct EEPROM file. The weird thing about this is all the buttons work while the TV is cycling through the colors. I can pull up the menu and adjust the volume. I can literately do everything. The TV says the EEPROM file is Firmware Version 2.00

Comment

When you say "everything", can you change channels, adjust the volume, etc? Does the TV behave as if the program is playing (ie there is sound but no video), and is it just the T-Con that is cycling through its test pattern while ignoring the video input?

Comment

I will have to test all that but there is no T-Con board on this TV. I can change the channels, adjust the volume and etc. I have not tried to play a movie.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45943
                The tcon is part of the screen ...
                BTW, I found only one image in the EEPROM dump, a "Saturn_Boot_Logo1" JPEG at address range 0x2F9A12 - 0x304A99. It's just a 720 x 480 black screen with white text - "Please wait ...".

The firmware appears to be "BBY_NS-39D240A13_USA_M3402_PCB5451-M0A".

I wonder if "Saturn" and "M3402" are the code name and part number for the SoC.

Maybe you could determine the panel type via the service menu.

3712169,Unichar,5,Brand
                3712181,Unichar,6,Scaler
                3712195,Unichar,10,Panel Type
                3712217,Unichar,11,Model Name:
                3712241,Unichar,17,Firmware Version:
                3712277,Unichar,7,FRC Ver
                3712293,Unichar,4,Date
                Last edited by fzabkar; 07-15-2016, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I also came across a TV today that uses a NAND Flash IC instead of a EEPROM. I wanted to copy it but I don't have the equipment for it. It is a Vizio M420SL

I've had A TNM-2000-USB-MINI-Universal-Programmer-TSOP32-TSOP40-TSOP48-NAND-Flash-adapters,paid $289 was mainly use for sanyo tv's problems.

Your Emerson TV, the one chip microprocessor is mediatek msd8200ds, was made by MediaTek Inc.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaTek

MediaTek Inc. is a Taiwanese fabless semiconductor company that provides system-on-chip solutions.
                  MediaTek has subsequently introduced additional products using a "true octa-core" CPU configuration using Cortex-A53 cores, with support for ARM's 64-bit ARMv8-A architecture, including the MT6752 clocked at 1.7 GHz and the high-end MT6795 clocked up to 2.2 GHz. Devices using the MT6795 were expected to be commercially available by the end of 2014.

At the Consumer Electronics Show in January 2015, MediaTek announced its collaboration with Google on the world’s first Ultra HD TV platform solution for Android TV, the MT5595, a new digital television SoC.[43] It has been adopted by Sony for new LCD TV models.

Helio X10 MT6795 Up to 2.2 GHz octa-core ARM Cortex-A53

So the brain of the one chip microprocessor is base on this CORE

IP cores are typically offered as synthesizable RTL. Synthesizable cores are delivered in a hardware description language such as Verilog or VHDL. These are analogous to high level languages such as C in the field of computer programming.

So read EEprom contents is no use, only for splash screen, other codes are for hand shake with cpu core and store customer's set up information.

Im Waiting for your Emersion logo change to Shane711, or you want to overclocking your TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-A53
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_big.LITTLE
                  Last edited by capwizard; 07-15-2016, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Hey capwizard, I had that board 2 weeks ago and sold it. I was looking at the NAND Flash IC and I said forget it. I can't copy that one yet. Also some of the NANDs don't have legs, they have solder balls on the under side. Are they doing this on purpose so we can't fix there intentional mistakes?

Comment

The TV does say "Please wait ..." on the screen when I turn it on. Here is pictures of the stickers on the back of the panel.

By the way, don't forget I started a new thread just on this TV. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55599
                      You will find more pictures on that thread.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Shane711; 07-15-2016, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I found "DEMO_ATSC.TPT390_J1_L01" in the EEPROM dump.

It appears that the panel number is "TPT390-J1L01".

Comment

Can the panel software be upgraded? I found this web page that says it is a firmware update. You are proberlly gonna have to translate it. http://www.power8t.com/down/view_104620.html My Firmware is version 2.00 and this is version 2.09

Comment

Yes, but all the tv menu will be in Chinese. That's what the EEPROM for.
                            And they use 240v 50hz and PAL tuner system.
                            Last edited by capwizard; 07-15-2016, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Have you tried another port sometimes it gives error.

Comment

Working...
                              X