BIOS is 8.2 MB but Chip is only 4 MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIOS is 8.2 MB but Chip is only 4 MB

Noob question but I am trying to program a bios chip (Winbond W25P32) which is a 4 MB chip. However, the bios.bin file I have is over 8 MB. How do I modify it to fit on the chip? I have tried to go to the end of the original bios, note the offset and then delete everything after that on the new bios. Is there a better way and what is all the extra coding on the bios? Grateful for help.

Re: BIOS is 8.2 MB but Chip is only 4 MB

Originally posted by sparker1 View Post
    Noob question but I am trying to program a bios chip (Winbond W25P32) which is a 4 MB chip. However, the bios.bin file I have is over 8 MB. How do I modify it to fit on the chip? I have tried to go to the end of the original bios, note the offset and then delete everything after that on the new bios. Is there a better way and what is all the extra coding on the bios? Grateful for help.

1. Can you detail mainboard type?
    2. Where you got 8mb(8192kb) .bin file from?how do you think this file will match for your board?
    3. Post your 4mb(4096kb) backup .bin file..someone here can check/analyze...

Comment

The mainboard is labelled 48.4ST04.021 and is for a HP Envy DV6-7000 series. I got the Bios from another thread here https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52192
      I have attached the bios from that thread. Also attached is the corrupt bios file from the chip. I have also got the bios from HP support and extracted it with 7zip and it is also 8 MB. I think there is a lot of stuff in the 8 MB bios to allow for automatic bios updates from bootable USB's and so on but I am not sure if that is the case and if so how to get rid of the "extra" stuff. I have had a look at both the original 4MB bios and the 8 MB bios with a hex editor and they seem to be the same but I haven't looked at every byte and offset.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by sparker1; 11-19-2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

The mainboard is labelled 48.4ST04.021 and is for a HP Envy DV6-7000 series. I got the Bios from another thread here https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52192
        I have attached the bios from that thread. Also attached is the corrupt bios file from the chip. I have also got the bios from HP support and extracted it with 7zip and it is also 8 MB. I think there is a lot of stuff in the 8 MB bios to allow for automatic bios updates from bootable USB's and so on but I am not sure if that is the case and if so how to get rid of the "extra" stuff. I have had a look at both the original 4MB bios and the 8 MB bios with a hex editor and they seem to be the same but I haven't looked at every byte and offset.

i cannot identified BID nr from your 4mb original..
        for dv6 7000 series must have 8mb bios,
        but you can try this for dv6 -6000 series which 4mb..
        if with this file you have to failed, try to change your bios chip get 8mb..so you can try with 8mb riddamouh file...
        goodluck
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Rioreno but I don't think using an 8 mbit chip would work as the addressing is different. Also, the Bios chip specified in the schematic I have for a HP DV6 is a 4 Mbit chip W25Q32BVSSIG. I will have a look at the bios file you sent with a hex editor to see if they're similar. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks Rioreno but I don't think using an 8 mbit chip would work as the addressing is different. Also, the Bios chip specified in the schematic I have for a HP DV6 is a 4 Mbit chip W25Q32BVSSIG. I will have a look at the bios file you sent with a hex editor to see if they're similar. Thanks.
            sparker1 , if i open your backup with uefitool , image will truncated ...

"parseIntelImage: BIOS region is located outside of opened image, if your system uses dual-chip storage, please append another part to the opened image"

have you check maybe there is another bios chip 4mb??

Comment

Only the one chip. Here is the screenshot from the schematic.
              Attached Files

Comment

Only the one chip. Here is the screenshot from the schematic.
                thats different board "HP Pavilion DV6/DV7 Series schematic, DA0LX3MB8F0, 31LX3MB0090"
                instead your board 48.4ST04.021..

Comment

It's the only one I could find. The chip is the same though.

Comment

Working...
                  X