Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP/Compaq dc5100 motherboard recapping

Hi all,

I have about a hundred motherboards with bad Evercon caps (surprise, surprise). They are two bad caps on the mobos. 1. 470microfarad 6.3 volt caps aluminum electrolytic caps. 2. 220 microfarad 16 volt caps aluminum electrolytic caps. I need about 200 of cap #1 and 50 of cap #2.

Anybody got any recommendations as to replacements? I looked at Rubycon ZL series and couldn't find an exact match. I am open to suggestions.

Jeff from Seattle

Re: HP/Compaq dc5100 motherboard recapping

What series of evercon caps?

I'll look up the datasheets and give you a recommendation.

digikey and mouser are a good place to place large orders.

Comment

I have seen several of these boards for recapping and for you to have 100 bad ones with just those 2 caps bad tells me you dont know what you have and what is bad.

Comment

yeah I would replace those two on a single board and see if it works before ordering that many caps
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I have repaired many of the HP dc5100 motherboards. The worst machines are the ones that are clogged with dust and no not ventilate well.
          The most troublesome capacitors I have seen on these motherboards are the 1000UF 6.3 Volt. Especially C469. When that cap goes bad, the fan goes to high speed. As it deteriorates further, the machine will stop booting. I have seen lots of the 220UF 16 V and the 470UF 6.3V go bad as well, but those smaller cap do not appear to be critical. I have had motherboards with 7 or 8 of those caps swollen, but the machine continues to run normally. Just to be sure, when I pull a motherboard to replace C469, I go ahead and replace all the other swollen caps as well.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by CDGraves; 04-21-2013, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X