HannsG HW173D dead. Recap = new fault.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HannsG HW173D dead. Recap = new fault.

I've been given a HannsG HW173D LCD display that doesn't work, to keep or throw out. So I thought I'd see what was wrong with it.

Original Fault : display didn't light, power LED flashed Green then Orange, with a curious flick in color.

Opened it up, found bulging CapXon capacitors on PSU. Changed these for caps I had lying around, including 2 from an old TV set.

Original (CapXon) Replaced with
    1000uF 10v 1000uF 25v (from old TV)
    1000uF 10v 1000uF 16v (from old TV)
    450uF 25v 450uF 35v (Sanyo, New)

This improved things. Display now lights up, LED turns green, then back to amber if no signal on DVI or PC input, or stays green if there's valid signal.

But the display isn't good. See attached pictures. Usually, I get the vertical colored lines. Sometimes I get a lava lamp effect with a few horizontal lines.

At this point I started googling and found this wonderful site! Thank you in advance! I kinda knew that bulging caps weren't a Good Thing, which is why I changed them, but didn't realise how bad the problem was. Spent hours reading the useful stuff you have here.

Measuring the voltage from the PSU board/ Video board connector, I noticed something interesting and wondered if it was relevant.

+5v is at +5.31 - +5.33v all times. But +12 changes. If PSU is powered on it's own, +12 line is +12.09v.

If Video board attached, LED orange, then +12 line is +12.91 - +12.94 (slight fluctuation)

If video board attached, LED Green, then +12 line is +13.95 - +14v (slight fluctuation)

With display connected and running, +12 line stays steady at +14.65v

Should this concern me?

Is it wortth me recapping with new, good caps? (the old TV ones were all I had to hand! ) Or does the fault seem more serious, given the strange display I've got on the LCD. Should I just chuck it out?

My knowledge of electronics is self taught and patchy, but not totally ignorant. (I knew bulging caps were bad before reading this site )

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hope attached pics help. The 3 loose caps are the ones I took out (notice bulging on 2 of them). The close up of the caps near the heatsink are the ones I put in. I see no other sign of damage on the board or to other caps.

Stu
    Attached Files
    Last edited by stuartherring; 02-05-2010, 05:01 PM.

Re: HannsG HW173D dead. Recap = new fault.

strange display mi be bad lcd screen.
    ck all cap sec time round to make sure. some of your old cap mi be bad.
    do you have ESR meter, you can ck all of you cap on board.
    if not buy one it will help you down road.

would p.s look see if p/s board have ic part number 203d6
    i need know voltage on all of 8 pin and voltage on ic 431
    thanks
    let me know asap
    here service manaul for you
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, off to check voltages now.

I realise the caps I put in as replacements might be bad, that's why I wondered if it might not be worth bothering to replace all the caps with new ones if there's likely to be a more serious fault elsewhere. But was encouraged by getting the thing to power up, even if I don't get a sensible display.

I don't have an ESR meter Only test equipment I have is digital voltmeter!

Stu

Comment

I don't see any ic marked 203d6 on either side of the p/s board. (I googled that, I see it is an 8 pin surface mount IC. Only 8 pin surface mount IC that I have on this board is on the underside, and it's marked sp8k3, so I don't think that's it).

Nor do I have an ic 431 on the board! Only ic I can see is IC230, which is a 3 pin thing in a transistor-style package. Can't read what is actually printed on the package, just IC230 on the PCB next to it.

I also note that the circuit diagram you kindly attached refers to caps in the 900 range, ie C904, C909. Mine are marked in 100 200 300 ranges. Are we talking about the same board? Have a look at the pic I sent in my first post, praps it's a variant on the board you're thinking of? Or praps I've missed something obvious?

Any other thoughts? I was all excited I'd get this thing going this evening!

Stu

Comment

Additional info :

The p/s board is marked AC INPUT 100-240V 1A 50/60Hz DC OUTPUT +12V 0.4A +5.2V 3.0A
          P/N 3BS01 46412GP
          (also says FSP032-2PI01)

Googling for this shows it as VIEWSONIC, N/A, PC MONITOR - POWER SUPPLY, FSP032-2PI01, 3BS0146412GP at discount-merchant.com, so this board isn't limited to just my model of LCD display.

But there I remain stuck.

Stu

Comment

The 5 capacitors that need to be replaced are shown on the right circled in yellow. The values and positions are as follows: C303 is 220uf 25volt, C261 is 470uf 25 volt, C241 and C244 are 1000uf 10volt and C242 is 470uf 10volt. Remember to install the replacement capacitors with the polarity stripe going the same direction as the old ones come out.
            did you do this
            let me know good luck
            i thanks for offer to look at voltage for me
            ck my board it is litte differ
            i hop this help you fix it
            aubrey51
            Attached Files

Comment

i for got tell you not to used 85cm capacitors
              must be replace with 105cm capacitors
              heat will kill 85cm will stop working
              105cm temp is 105 deg just look capacitors marking 85 no good
              105 good tv used lot of 85cm capacitors
              i hop help you lot
              thanks
              aubrey52
              fot got tell you i got this from differ tech such fix your monitor
              Last edited by aubrey52; 02-07-2010, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Hi Everone, I have 5 off these moitors, recaped them all but thay still will not switch on. Have tested the power-inverter board in a working one, so I know the power-inverter boards are ok. If I press the power button I do not get anything. Not sure what to do next.

Thanks for any help

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by terry
                  Hi Everone, I have 5 off these moitors, recaped them all but thay still will not switch on. Have tested the power-inverter board in a working one, so I know the power-inverter boards are ok. If I press the power button I do not get anything. Not sure what to do next.

Thanks for any help

Terry
                  That one sounds familiar. Let's try a few things.

First of all, what do you mean by "I do not get anything". Does the power LED come on or not?

Second, have you tried swapping the logic card from a 'good' monitor to one of the 'bad' monitors?

Last, if these tests show the problem is the logic card, post good pictures of the top and back sides of the logic card.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by aubrey52
                    The 5 capacitors that need to be replaced are shown on the right circled in yellow. The values and positions are as follows: C303 is 220uf 25volt, C261 is 470uf 25 volt, C241 and C244 are 1000uf 10volt and C242 is 470uf 10volt. aubrey51
                    Thanks, I will get some new caps and try reokacing those, though some of them I have already changed, admittedly with old caps from a TV set

Stu

Comment

Hi PlainBill

When I press the power button, I do not get anything, no power LED. I tested the voltage on the power switch and there is 5v, when I press the power switch this goes to 0v.

If use the logic card from a working monitor then everthing is ok, monitor works fine. The problem is with the logic board

I have add some picture of the logic board

Terry
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by terry
                        Hi PlainBill

When I press the power button, I do not get anything, no power LED. I tested the voltage on the power switch and there is 5v, when I press the power switch this goes to 0v.

If use the logic card from a working monitor then everthing is ok, monitor works fine. The problem is with the logic board

I have add some picture of the logic board

Terry
                        That presents a problem. Troubleshooting the logic board requires a schematic. Without one, about all you can do is see if the regulators are working.

PlainBill
                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I noticed the logic board also has CapXon capacitors. This may be the problem why some people are having problems with their Logic Boards. I replace all the capacitors on the inverter board and still had a problem. Thats when I noticed the CapXon capacitors on the logic board. Going to change them and see what happens.

Comment

Hi, If you can please let me know if replaceing the CapXon on the Logic Board works. I have 5 HW173D and 2 HW193D with faulty Logic Boards.

Comment

Interesting !!!!! in that I have had quite a few Hanns G monitors, all different models,and in the majority of cases, the Logic boards have failed.Am currently sitting with Qty 2 of HX191,with the same problem,and I doubt replacements will be available in the near future.

Comment

Replacing the CapXon Capacitors on the Logic Board did not work. Lost as what to do next.
                                Last edited by slvfox2008; 02-16-2011, 10:12 AM.

Comment

check the voltage regulators.
                                  seems like that area got quite hot (PCB discoloration)

Comment

Thx for the info. Being new at this, how do I go about testing?

Comment

I checked across each of the leads on the 1.8V and got a reading of 1V (cannot do 10th). On the 3.3v I got a reading of 1V.

Comment

Originally posted by slvfox2008 View Post
                                        I checked across each of the leads on the 1.8V and got a reading of 1V (cannot do 10th). On the 3.3v I got a reading of 1V.
                                        Let's make sure you are measuring this correctly.

Put your multimeter on 20V DC (if manual). Put your black probe on a ground screw and leave it there the whole time. For each voltage regulator, put your red probe on all the pins one at a time. Report measurement for each regulator and each pin.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                        X