Vizio P-Series 4K tv with temporary sound and no picture P652ui-B2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio P-Series 4K tv with temporary sound and no picture P652ui-B2

Going to keep this first post and query (see below) short. Will post pics in just a bit.

Picked up this 65” Ultra 4K model about a week ago. I’ve have not been able to get it to produce a picture and there appear to be no backlights that come on via the flashlight test.

Sound is present using the HDMI connections, but only stays on for about 1 minute before the set shuts itself down and then it proceeds to relay click in about 2 minute cycles thereafter. No sound is produced again during these “aftermath” relay clicks that go on for appx. 5-10 minutes before complete silence ensues (and no picture is ever produced).

Only way to engage the sound again is to unplug it, rest it briefly, then plug in again. But then the above cycle simply repeats with the same end result. Nothing ever changes, and I’ve done it over a dozen times in the hopes of producing some kind of picture image to go off of.

IMPORTANT: Most of the time, the small, white indicator light in the lower-left hand corner of this set will flash 16 times when I attempt to power it up. Then, it flashes 13 times on all the cycles thereafter. Does anyone know what this error code means, especially as it relates to the Vizio P-Series?

Note: I tried to detail and clarify this 16 blink + 13 blinks pattern below in my next post. Please read that as well. Seems to be key to tracking down the defect at play, but I can’t find any info on this problem online.

Previous owner claimed that he was getting a periodic picture image (half there, but the other half indistinguishably fuzzy), as early as only three weeks ago, but I’ve yet to see anything at all. He thought these half-images were side by side (left / right) as opposed to the seemingly more common top / bottom, but couldn’t recall for certain exactly how it appeared. Whatever it looked like, he said it was very intermittent and would only show up through much persistence or luck.

Q: Is this scenario being caused (most likely or perhaps definitely?) by faulty LED backlight strips, or perhaps could it be that I would benefit from baking the main board to see if a picture is then generated? I’ve had recent success with the baking on two LG plasmas that are now running without issue. Or, could the culprit be something else entirely?

Any insight(s) would be much appreciated.

~ kca
    Last edited by kca; 10-14-2018, 12:22 PM.

Re: Vizio P-Series 4K tv with temporary sound and no picture P652ui-B2

Vizio P652ui-B2

When powered on, the white light appears solid for about 8 the seconds and the sound comes on just fine. Can adjust the volume up + down.

However, this doesn't last. After approximately 1 minute, the sound cuts out, the white power light flashes once at either the same time as when the sound ends or sometime 30 seconds to a minute later, and then that same white power light flashes 16 times.

Then, after about 2 minutes, the white light flashes 13 times.

So, it appears that the lack of a video response / operation is calling for a shutdown of the set and therefore the denial of any audio output (of course).

After another 1 minute and 15 second interval with nothing happening (no evidence of any picture still, and no sound either), the white Power light flashes 13 times again. This cycle repeats itself twice, but on the third go around it flashes 16 times and then powers off completely. No more cycling / No more flashing of the white power light.

OR ......

5 complete cycles of the 13 blinks of the white power light ..... and then complete shutdown occurs. This DEFINITELY happened this way upon the 2nd full trial.

——————————————

Back panel off now:

Disconnected PSU from middle board. EXACT same pattern as described above occurs. Sound works, temporarily, but no video response whatsoever.

This would indicate that the PSU is fine.

Disconnected middle board connector that leads to Main Board. The Main Board connectors were purposefully left IN. RESULT: The same one 16 followed by five 13's pattern exists.

However, when I leave that same middle connector that leads to Main Board IN and take those two wire leads OUT of the Main Board, all power is denied. No white lights whatsoever.

Then, I disconnected the middle board from PSU on its left and also from Main Board on its right. All Main Board connectors left IN. All PSU connectors left IN. So, in other words, I isolated the middle board from everything else. And yet, I still get the one 16 blink / five 13 blink scenario. Interesting.

So far, the simple assumption is that I am just not getting the backlights to function, and therefore it's denying the picture and causing the 16/13 fault.

Comment

do the simple test of unplugging the tcon to panel cables, one at a time and see if that changes anything in terms of response / display... go from there.

Comment

Thanks, budwich ~

Did that in response to your post and there was definitely a change.

First, I unplugged just the left ribbon panel strip where it leads into the T-con. No change.

Then, I unplugged both. About 10 seconds after powering up, the backlights finally showed evidence of life. The entire screen turned a purple color, with the right-hand side (when facing the screen now) was kind of a lighter purple and the left hand side was a dark purple.

There was a fairly clear vertical line of delineation between the two sides. However, both appeared kind of fuzzy, and so it was somewhat hard to distinguish. There was no image from the source (a DVD player, in this case) but sound was still present.

No blinking occurred during this phase, when the “dual purples” were onscreen. However, it only lasted about 2-3 minutes, then shut itself down and then it went automatically into the 16 blinks / 13 blinks pattern mentioned above with nothing but the black screen present.

I was able to get this to happen 1 more time with the dual purples, and thought I had at least established a working pattern. But, that was the last time I saw it and for the last hour or so I haven’t been able to get the purples to appear again ... despite about a dozen tries and several different ribbon switches and configuration. Also took the DVD cords out after a while and went back to my DirecTV HDMI input. Nothing improved or changed as a result.

So, does all of this indicate a flawed T-con board? That might be nice, as I can pick one up for about $20 or $30. Or, are we still dealing with a likely flaw in the LED backlights themselves? If the purple halves come on again, I’ll try to snap a picture of it before it goes off again.

Comment

unplugging both at the same time doesn't do much good as basically the panel goes unpowered and the backlights may or may not turn on depending on how the system detects certain conditions.

You need to try the "test" with the other panel cable attached (ie. left attached, right disconnected).

Comment

Yes, I was surprised I got any reaction at all from the backlights with both disconnected.

I did try it with left connected and right disconnected. And then vice-versa. Did so about 3 times each. No change. Black screen only. Sound present. And the 16 / 13 blinks was in effect. The only 2 times when the purple, somewhat backlit screen showed up was when both ribbons were disconnected.

I can try it again tomorrow with the one connected + one disconnected scenario again, and then flip-flop them, but I have a feeling that’s not going to produce any change at this point. If that’s the case, do you think the T-con is defective and need be replaced? Seems like it is somehow denying or fouling up the signal and impeding any backlights from engaging.

Backlights themselves might be an issue also, due to the distinct difference in purple hues between the two halves. Hard to tell, but it may be due to some of the LED’s being out on the darker side. Does that theory ring true and make sense to you (or anyone who may be reading)?
            Last edited by kca; 10-14-2018, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Where are the pics of the back of the set so we can see what you're seeing ?

Comment

Re: Vizio P-Series 4K tv with temporary sound and no picture ~ Model # = P652ui-B2

I should be able to get the pics up this morning.

Information on the internet is scant re: Vizio tv's with this problem. I can usually find more clues when searching / researching.

Does anyone out there have a link to the Service Manual for this Vizio? Again, the Model # is P652ui-B2. Or maybe something that would indicate the Error Codes for the Vizio P-Series in general.

There must be a relatively clear answer to this persistent 16 blinks followed by a series of 13 blinks pattern that is almost constantly at play no matter which ribbons I connect or disconnect.

~ kca

Comment

you would be wise to start checking voltages / electrical conditions on the PS card (according to connector labels).

Some things from your test... a disconnected tcon to panel cable would normally cause that portion of the panel to go white as nothing is being fed to the panel. You aren't seeing that happen on either side.

Further, it is rather strange that you indicate that you disconnected the PS to main board cable and yet sound still happened... ??? strange, as in most cases, the main does the sound decoding / generating... but without power... you might have a "new technology" that the world is waiting for... works with no power... :-)

As suggested, you need to provide pictures of what's up in the back of the set.

Comment

Okay. Just had somewhat of a major breakthrough! It didn’t stay this way, which I’ll explain later, but want to show now that I got the left-half of the picture to display perfectly while the right half showed as the primarily white screen budwich described above.

Achieved this by accessing the T-con board fully (had to take off the interior metal black plate) and then I was able to disconnect and reconnect the 4 ribbons that emerge from the bottom of the T-con itself and run into the panel. Here’s what it looked like:

{As you can see, the photo attachment ended up upside down again}
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by kca; 10-15-2018, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Q:

Obviously, the backlights are NOT an issue on the left-hand side of the screen when viewed from out front. Does the white (with some pink + greenish coloration) on the right-hand side indicate that the backlights are OK there too, or is it impossible to tell from this image and scenario?

I want to eliminate the backlights from the analysis if possible.

Related question is: Does this “half okay / half not” result indicate (or prove?) that the T-con board itself is faulty and needs to be replaced?

Comment

Going to post all the back panel + board images I took:

Of course, they all unloaded upside down and sideways, but nevertheless here is how they are positioned on the back panel (when facing from the back):

Power Supply Unit = Left
                        LED Driver Board = Upper Center
                        Main Board = Right
                        T-Con Board = Far Lower Center

Those are the only 4 boards at play.

The last three images below are all of the T-Con Board
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by kca; 10-15-2018, 01:28 PM.

Comment

AH... BUT you weren't disconnecting the tcon to panel cables as originally asked... you were disconnecting main processor to tcon cables which gives a different result... the result that you got. :-)

Anyways, that is why mmartell asked for the pictures of the back... because what you were doing / saying didn't align.

Anyways, your problem is more likely a tab problem on the panel.

You can check this further by disconnecting the opposite two that you did previously to get the "half picture" ans see what happens. NOTE: disconnecting tcon to panel cables while powered is a bad idea.... actually a bad idea to do any cable movements during power.

Comment

I definitely see what you mean now with the T-con to Panel connections. I had been taking the two out at the top of the T-Con Board, as opposed to the 4 at the bottom.

Definitely glad it “lit up”, but the down side right now is it only did it that one time. For the last couple of hours, I am back at the Sound but No picture state with just the black screen and the 16 / 13 blink pattern. This, despite many different attempts at ribbon connection and disconnection including:

At the bottom of the T-con:

All 4 in
                            Left two in / Right two out
                            Right two in / Left two out
                            None of the 4 in

I tried each of these scenarios three times each with no change.

I would think that the left-hand side of the screen would light up and display an image like it did in my first photo up above. I cannot seem to generate that half image again no matter what I try. And, the right hand side of the screen (the one that produced the white/pink/greenish image) is also completely black now.

Here are my questions as of the moment:

1) Are all of the backlights functional now by virtue of the fact that I got a full and complete image on the left and a white screen on the right? Another way of putting this is, does the white half-image prove functionality of the LED's on that side because if those LED's were out in any degree that half of the screen would be black as opposed to the white?

2) What can I try at this point to get the image, or at least the left-hand side half-image, to reappear on screen? Having that back up would greatly speed up this troubleshooting process.

Note: Even when I had the good fortune of seeing the screen light up a few hours ago, it appeared to shut itself down after about 2 minutes. Same kind of shut down that keeps occurring when there is sound but no picture at all. I believe it was even followed by the 16 blink code. I believe it is detecting the same fault and error whether the screen is black or is showing any kind of image at all.

Comment

now you might have to check the tcon for voltage and also check any fuses.

further, you might have to do a "force on sequence" if there is an issue with back lights such that the system has shut down because of errors... although I am not sure vizio follows / incorporates any error counts as sharp does.

further to answer your first question... potentially all the leds are good... but not necessarily absolute as it is possible that the current increases due to a "weaken led / leds" and eventually shuts the unit down.

Further, the picture that you posted appears to indicate a problem on the side as the "white" isn't "clean"... there is some distortion.
                              You should check the side tabs to see if there is obvious problems (heat/burn)... you can only see side tabs by removing the front bezel.

Still further... you need to only disconnect the "outer most" cable on the four tcon to panel cables (ie. for each side). Doing such might change the results.
                              Last edited by budwich; 10-15-2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Sounds good, budwich. I was thinking much the same as you’ve penned. Thank you for the comprehensive and detailed reply. It’s very helpful. I’ll try the “outside cables only” test next and will report the results asap.

Comment

Okay. Whoa. Almost too many changes / improvements / discoveries to describe after my last work session on it, but I'll try:

1) I think I found the source of the problem, or at least one of the major culprits. After trying the "disconnect the outer most cables on each side method) to no change or avail, I decided to clean the ribbons isopropyl alcohol and q-tips. When I went to do so, I found that the several of the ribbon pins were compromised. Particularly on the far left cable, which largely explains the white screen and, more so, the blotchy, streaky nature of the white screen. See pic in my next post of the 4 ribbons, from left to right, with the really bad one being, as I said, the far left one.

2) Despite the compromised nature of the ribbon pins, I decided to plug them all back in one final time and then shut down both the TV and the DirecTV mini-Genie box at the same time using the DirecTV remote. Unexpectedly, I got a perfect picture of the Packers / Niners game going on tonight on the left-hand side of the screen and a "significantly improved" white screen on the left. There was now much clearer white and much of the pink/green streakiness was replaced with vertical, colored lines instead and coupled with a black vertical space about 2 or 3 inches wide just to the right of the center line. Please see pics in the next post to view this as well.

3) After about 3 minutes, I lost the "Packer picture", as I suspected I would, as the tv shut itself down and went into a ....... get this ...... 68 blink set. It only occurred once, as strange as it was. Was not expecting anything like that to occur.

4) I then decided to pull out the two left cables, as they were still not producing the right-hand side of the screen image, and go with only the right cables. I was hoping to get at least this correlated left-hand side of the screen image to appear ONLY and sustain itself as the cables had now all been cleaned. That did not happen, but the odd thing that did ensue was that the sound was now working in a "repeating cycle" pattern wherein the screen was all black but the sound would work for its regular 2 minutes, then shut down, BUT THEN CAME BACK ON WITHOUT THE 16 blinks appearing. Then the sound would go another two minutes, shut down for 30 seconds again, and then repeated that 2 minutes on / 30 seconds off repeating cycle for the next 20 minutes until I physically shut everything down for the evening. As I said ..... Whoa.

Comment

Here are the pics that I was referring to in the above post (Post #17):

Upside down again, but here is the order, as viewed from the back of the tv:

1st one ~ Far left
                                    2nd one ~ Inner left
                                    3rd one ~ Inner right
                                    4th one ~ Far right
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by kca; 10-15-2018, 10:00 PM.

Comment

that flat cable looks like it was "rammed" in to the connector. Not sure if cleaning will help it. Is the other end soldered or "clamped"?

further, it looks like potentially that some of the track material might have broken off... is it in the connector "port"?
                                      Last edited by budwich; 10-15-2018, 10:09 PM.

Comment

And here are the "Packer pictures", showing the half-working screen and the half "white side improved" screen:
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by kca; 10-15-2018, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X