LG 42PA4500 plasma TV not turning on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 42PA4500 plasma TV not turning on

Just before Christmas and my LG 42PA4500 plasma TV has stopped working! My kids are not happy and I am desperately trying to fix it so would appreciate any comments and support. I am new to trying to fix TV's and have been on google reading a lot and trying a few things but am still no further forward.

Here is what happened – The TV was on and all ok and then suddenly switched off on its own. It would not switch back on so I unplugged it for 10 mins and then plugged it back in and it started as normal and all was ok until it did the same thing 5 mins later and has not switched on since.

Current status – When you plug the TV in, the screen stays black but lights light slightly like a back light has come on. You can hear the YSUS board buzzing away. The standby indicator on the front of the TV is solid red and does not change. Pressing the power button does nothing.

What I have tried so far –
    1. Have disconnected the YSUS board and tried to start the TV but nothing.
    2. Have disconnected the ZSUS board and tried to start the TV but nothing.
    3. Have checked all the connections between the boards and all are ok.
    4. Have checked all the boards for swollen and leaking capacitors and all are ok.
    5. Have checked the standby, Va and Vs voltages out of the power supply and all are ok and match what is written on the case.
    6. Have checked each panel is receiving the correct voltage on each connection and all is ok.
    7. Have checked both sides of each board for obvious signs of bad connections and all appear ok.
    8. Have checked the capacitors with a multi-meter on ohm setting and all are showing a gradually increasing resistance with time which I read means they are ok.
    There is a solid red light on the mainboard, a flashing green light on the control board and the YSUS is buzzing away.

The only odd thing I have noticed is that the standby indicator on the front of the TV is solid red indicating it is stuck in standby but the YSUS is buzzing away. When it was working and in standby, the YSUS would normally go quiet and it should all be powered down.

Has anyone come across this before? Or, any ideas?

Re: LG 42PA4500 plasma TV not turning on

Need good clear straight on pictures of back of tv with cover off and each board. Close up of control board. What rate is the green light flashing?
    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Pictures attached. Will post the flashing next.
      Attached Files

Comment

The green light is flashing - 3 short flashes and 2 long flashes.

I felt sure it was just flashing at a steady rate yesterday.

Comment

Sorry I am no plasma expert. There is an auto gen on your control board that will output test patterns. I would have to look up the sequence on internet. Others on here much better with plasmas maybe will help.

Comment

Probably a mainboard do this 1st disconnect the ribbon cable that goes from the main board to the control board.

On the control board you'll see 2 gold color holes that say AUTO_ EXT_GEN. Jumper this with a paper clip or something and then turn the TV on and see if it goes through test patterns
            Last edited by freakaftr8; 12-21-2017, 10:36 PM.
            Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

I have just tried jumping the 2 AUTO_EXT_GEN pins and yes I get what must be a test pattern with white bars moving across and then down the screen followed by the screen flashing red, blue and green. It looks like it is the main board then.

Any ideas on how these things can be repaired or common culprit components.

Comment

My guess would be bad nand flash. Can't read number but hynix 48 pin chip

Comment

You could try heating up the primary processor on the mainboard with a hairdryer. If the picture comes back it's a bad soldering connection on the processor
                  Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

I read something on another website that the LG boards sometimes start working again after 10-15mins in the over to reflow the solder. I tried it and it did not work. I guess it would be impossible to get new chips for the board so will have to keep a look out for another board. If nothing else, this have been a really good learning exercise and I have learnt a lot from it.

Comment

Hi guys, hope you will see my post.

I have a LG 42PA4500 which no longer works, I tried in doubt to change almost all the capacitors, but the TV still does not work, on the motherboard, when powering up, the mini led on the motherboard stays on for about 2 seconds then turns off. The led of the TV (standby) it stays on, and reacts sometimes when I press the power button.

I also did a test, I unplugged all the cables except the power supply from the main power supply board, the voltages seem to come out correctly. (5v - 55v - 205v), I don't know what else to do ... I need your help folks.
                      Last edited by SeBL4RD; 09-07-2020, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Did you try the test given in post #7
                        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

I don't find "AUTO_EXT_GEN" pins on motherboard.

Comment

It's not located on the motherboard, rather the logic board, seen on the sixth picture of post #3, unplug the LVDS (large flat cable from mainboard to logic board) and the short the EXT_AUTO_GEN pins.

Comment

Nothing happen

https://imgur.com/o0oAn2u

Do I have to do your manipulation when the TV is on and the red standby LED is on? Or unplug everything, then short-circuit the pins, and then turn on the TV ?

Thank you for taking the time to answer me, I'm stuck, and this TV is for my sister and my nephews, it annoys me to get it almost every day ...
                              Last edited by SeBL4RD; 10-08-2020, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Is that wire making proper contact between the two pads? doesn't look like it is.
                                Need to unplug motherboard power cable from power supply, so when AC cable is plugged in, it will automatically turn on. If the Y and Z boards are good, test patterns will show up on the display.
                                Last edited by Biruslapio; 10-08-2020, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Since trying to do this, my main power board has stopped working ((
                                  I did not touch anything else with my wire ...
                                  When I try again to plug only the main board, alone, it no longer returns any voltage.

Comment

If you disconnect everything from the power supply board, and I mean everything, then plug it into power. Does it at least click or no?
                                    If no then it is defective now or was all along and nothing you did made it worst per say but it just happen to fully give out. Or it is possible it was not the issue and somehow something happened that caused it to go out.

As for the color pattern test, here is a video for a slightly older model LG that shows how to do it so that you can rule the main board to be the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPP3yw06MVw

Comment

No, there is no more voltage on the big pin at the top, when everything is disconnected from the power supply card except the arrival in 220v, the card does not return voltage in the big pin at the top, no 5v, 55v etc ... Any idea how I could identify the problem? I spent almost 40 € to change almost all the capacitors.

Comment

The power supply without any cable connected except for the mains AC should close the relay circuit then start powering VS/VA/M5V, if not, it is faulty.

Comment

Working...
                                        X