Software Network traffic monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software Network traffic monitor

On my Macs, I use a program called Little Snitch to monitor net traffic. What I am looking for is the equivalent to that in the Windows world for XP and 7.

I was using that Zone alarm but when I updated to the latest version, the icon that let me know if traffic was going on disappeared. I was thinking to see if I can go backwards to an earlier version so I can see what is going on. But I was wondering what you folks use for that type of thing, might there be something even better than Zone Alarm ?

I did do an install of Wireshark but I don't need such detailed capability, I think that is overkill for what I want to do.

If you have any other recommendations, please let me know.

Thanks,

Gcap

Re: Software Network traffic monitor

http://www.floriangilles.com/software/netspeedmonitor/

...?

His Gmail inbox notifier is also pretty handy (if you use Gmail that is..)

Comment

Eset smart security... the firewall is tops. Also I used to use outpost pro but it got unstable and I switched.

Now find me a outbound firewall for linux...

Comment

Originally posted by NxB View Post
        Now find me a outbound firewall for linux...
        It's called iptables
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

IPtables works when you set up all individual rules there is nothing dynamic about it. I don't know whats going to be connecting out and I'm not going to sit there and edit a text file to get it working or block it.

There is no firewall in linux that audits outbound connections and lets you set rules dynamically like in windows.

Furthermore there is this attitude in the community that something like that is "windows" or stupid. This applies fine to CLI servers but NOT to client machines. Right now linux doesn't have too much spyware or phone home type things but no reason it won't in the future.

Comment

Well Comodo Firewall tells you activity in the tray icon

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
              Well Comodo Firewall tells you activity in the tray icon
              i believe it has a log that constantly refreshes as well.

Comment

Comodo went the way of spyware, can't trust them. I think avira too.

Comment

avira is fine, just shitloads of false positives and if it's the free version, it has stupid popups all over the place and the update servers hardly ever work properly (or fast.. downloading updates at 15KB/s seems to be normal for them)

also the whole firewall talk is pretty off topic here I think..

He's looking for a network traffic monitor and just happened to use a firewall that included that feature. The tool I linked to in post #2 does just that and nothing else. Too bad there's no reply if it worked the way he wanted or anything.. I hate threads that "die" like this with no response from the original poster whatsoever :|

Comment

Originally posted by NxB View Post
                    Comodo went the way of spyware, can't trust them. I think avira too.
                    What? Since when?

To the OP: I use Netmeter sometimes.
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

If I understand what you are looking for DU Meter would be my recommendation
                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                        If I understand what you are looking for DU Meter would be my recommendation
                        Unless I'm missing something, the prog I posted in #2 does pretty much the exact same thing.. with the exception of being free.. (!?)
                        I have a feeling I'm overlooking some "funky" feature on DU Meter though..

Comment

Oh don't look at me, I only gave a recommendation for the only program I've actually tried
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I'm not complaining :P
                            Was just looking at their site, noticing it pretty much does the exact same thing, but costs something (30 day demo only)

Nothing personal

Comment

IEHistView (nirsoft.net) IIRC works even when history and temp is erased.

if your not spying or "monitoring" you can use cain and able with sniffer activated.

Comment

Was just getting familiar with site ran across this post#2 by Scenic decided give try and works very well for a freebie program very simple will do job and loads to your toolbar..thks Scenic
                                Ron Driver,BSEE,CET,ISCET,NESDA

Comment

you may try this....
                                  http://www.paessler.com/prtg

Comment

Been a while but shorewall had dynamic tables for blacklisting.
                                    I prefer iptables, and run a proxy server for my networks web pages.
                                    With 4 zones, (dual wireless, and dual hardwired, damn entertainment components) nothing else was going to work out of the box.

Comment

I'm running an iptables firewall too on my computer. It's also working as a NAT for the rest of our network, as the ISP doesn't do that - everything gets a world-routable IP by default! I didn't like the idea of having the printer open to the entire world just so my mom's laptop could print to it...

Comment

snort maybe ? http://www.snort.org/

Comment

Working...
                                        X