• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenDNS

Couldn't get my BadCaps fix yesterday - kept getting the attached

Problem went away after I changed to Google DNS
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: OpenDNS

Weird... I saw no problems...
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

My withdrawal anxiety is abating now

And I've opened a case with OpenDNS - will be interesting to see their response
      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Same here, sometime Wednesday night I couldn't reach badcaps and I too was using Opendns.

I switch to goolge dns, opendns has been slow, and is terrible about youtube.

Comment

I just use my ISPs dns servers all good 98% of the time if it plays up there is another isp dns server that lets other users on other networks use it.
          My pc
          CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
          MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
          RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
          PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
          GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

pf why not use ISP dns servers?
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

ISP DNS Problems with Badcaps.net

Not sure the place to post this, but here seems good enough so I guess it will do.

I've had problems with the website failing to load for a couple of days and once last week, at first I thought it was a problem with the server but then I got some email reply notifications while the site was 'offline' which made me suspicious

Called my ISP and they confirmed they're looking at what seems to be a fault with their DNS and with any sites that use the name servers "NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM through NS4.MYDOMAIN.COM" - which includes Badcaps.net

I guess there is not much that can be done on this end, but thought I might as well post here. Currently using Google's DNS servers instead of my ISP ones.

As a side note, I tried accessing Badcaps.net by IP address directly but I just got a blank page.
              Does anyone know why that is?
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Re: ISP DNS Problems with Badcaps.net

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                As a side note, I tried accessing Badcaps.net by IP address directly but I just got a blank page.
                Does anyone know why that is?
                On most web servers they use a name based addressing system.
                for instance a website with a domain name like domain1.com may be on a server with a ip 111.111.111.111
                If you were to go to 111.111.111.111 the server will display it's default page that could be blank have ads or display the servers info like in the attached image.
                most servers are set up to server more than one domain name like domain2.com domain3.com domain4.com domain5.com but they all are on the ip 111.111.111.111
                hope this helps.
                Attached Files
                My pc

Comment

Agent24 - I merged your thread with this one. Not sure why some people are having problems with DNS and others not. DNS propogation is a funny thing... Drove me up the wall when I worked for Network Solutions. Most people are not happy with an answer of "wait 24 hours"...

Perhaps your ISP is actually using OpenDNS for their servers? If that's the case, it's possible that OpenDNS has decided to blacklist mydomain.com or something.
                  Last edited by dood; 06-28-2011, 08:13 AM.
                  Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Not having issues with that but the problem of getting logged out every 2 or 3 minutes has been persistent and continuous since the vBulletin version 'upgrade' which I think was over a year ago.
                    Happens same-same from numerous PC configurations so it's not the PC.
                    Tried various versions of FF & IE & Java/Javascript and it didn't make any difference.
                    - Does NOT happen on other vBulletin based sites/forums - only here at BCN.
                    By comments dropped here and there I think toasty has the same issue.
                    TC said he couldn't reproduce it locally and so can't do anything about it.
                    I think it has to do with how BCN's cookies and session IDs work.
                    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 06-28-2011, 09:08 AM.
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

That's a new one (well, it's old, but I never heard about it)... I stay signed in for weeks at a time, on 3 different PCs, with no troubles.

Granted, that fact doesn't help you.
                      Last edited by dood; 06-28-2011, 08:54 AM.
                      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

You can add an entry to your systems HOSTS file for badcaps.net, then it should work so long as the site remains on this IP address...

Code:
                        74.7.134.222	www.badcaps.net
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
                          That's a new one (well, it's old, but I never heard about it)... I stay signed in for weeks at a time, on 3 different PCs, with no troubles.

Granted, that fact doesn't help you.
                          I used to do that too.
                          Hasn't worked like that since the vBulletin 'upgrade'.
                          ---
                          I just got logged out again without even opening another screen.
                          Had to log in again to post this.
                          Happens every few minutes.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

Here's an example.
                            -
                            Got a PM.
                            Had to log in again to see it.
                            Typed a reply.
                            Had to log in again to send it.
                            -
                            Had to log in again to post this too...
                            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 06-28-2011, 10:08 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                              You can add an entry to your systems HOSTS file for badcaps.net, then it should work so long as the site remains on this IP address...

Code:
                              74.7.134.222  www.badcaps.net
                              Don't have problems connecting, just staying logged in.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                Don't have problems connecting, just staying logged in.
                                Have u tired deleting cookies
                                or un checking remember me/keep me logged in then logout then login with remember me/keep me logged in checked
                                Last edited by joshnz; 06-28-2011, 10:51 AM.
                                My pc

Comment

Originally posted by joshnz View Post
                                  What browser are you using?
                                  A few posts up he says it happens with FF/IE on multiple PCs.

PCB- I can't see every last thing re: your account, but I can say that I don't see any errant settings that would cause this.

The only thing similar is that the mods have to enter their password to verify before being able to do any "mod-like" things. This sounds like it's dropping the cookie altogether.
                                  Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

At different times I've tried IE6, IE7, and various FF versions 2.x & 3.x.
                                    Not too much in IE though. Don't like IE.
                                    Oh, W2k & XP,, same-same problems.

I agree it has to do with cookies.
                                    I don't have the issue visiting other boards that use vBulletin, only here.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Toasty said once he thinks it's a JavaScript issue.
                                      [Presumably one that affects cookies.]
                                      I'm not much of a programmer, I have to 'cookbook' that stuff.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
                                        Perhaps your ISP is actually using OpenDNS for their servers? If that's the case, it's possible that OpenDNS has decided to blacklist mydomain.com or something.
                                        They use their own servers: http://telecom.custhelp.com/app/answ..._id/1274/p/202

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post

Code:
                                        74.7.134.222	www.badcaps.net
                                        Thanks for the tip, I know what the hosts file is but as I've never actually used it (except with Spybot for blocking sites) I didn't think to try that!

Just have to figure out how to do it in Ubuntu as well...
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X