Foxit Reader ruined Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foxit Reader ruined Windows

After installing Foxit Reader, Windows takes an extremely long time to start up and shut down. When I try to shut the computer down, the taskbar and desktop icons will disappear, and then it just sits there with nothing on the screen except the desktop background for 20 seconds before finally shutting down.

The Foxit uninstaller will not run. It just creates randomly named executable files in the C:\Windows\Temp folder until the hard drive runs out of space.

Is there any way to get rid of Foxit and make Windows shut down faster without reinstalling Windows? Compaq made reinstalling Windows a pain.

Re: Foxit Reader ruined Windows

I use this to scan for viruses. It also allows you to delete files to free up disk space.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-20-2011, 09:57 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I agree.
      Sounds more like you got an infected download.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Forgot to mention that I just downloaded foxit 5.0 today and it worked fine for me. I got it from

http://cdn01.foxitsoftware.com/pub/f..._enu_Setup.exe

Creating .exes in the temp directory until no disk space sounds like a virus. I helped a friend with this exact same symptom about 4 months ago. Running the standalone CD should fix it. First, go into c:\windows\temp and delete all the exe. This should allow Windows to boot after the virus has been removed.
        Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-20-2011, 10:19 PM.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It's not just you, lti.

There were too many 'funny' things going on when I ran the fuck-it reader sfx exe. I was watching the temp dir and saw a few things with the name(s) of self-extracting spyware/adware. Didn't even need to google the names of the files, as I wiped out a system two weeks prior with popups, banners, toolbars, etc.

I didn't proceed past the SFX point, so no nasties escaped and Avast didn't trigger. Cleaned the garbage from the registry and deleted ALL temp files.

Fucks-with-it reader is starting to get 'name recognition.' Great, now it's popularity is past a certain point- let's throw some extras in there. They count on people doing one of those 'click everything' installs w/o realizing their 'puter is getting trashed.

Install sumatrapdf and delete that 'droid' file in the destination directory. That has a .ttf extension, but is not a font.

-Paul
          Attached Files
          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
          Originally posted by shango066
          All style and no substance.
          Originally posted by smashstuff30
          guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
          guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Are you sure you haven't left all that advertising BS checked? I still use Foxit and it works fine, but i do have the "pro" version and their PDF Editor as well. Try Sumatrapdf like posted above, or NitroPDF.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

For the virus scanner, you should really use Avira, its better IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                Are you sure you haven't left all that advertising BS checked? I still use Foxit and it works fine, but i do have the "pro" version and their PDF Editor as well. Try Sumatrapdf like posted above, or NitroPDF.
                Agree, do manual/custom install instead of defaults and uncheck all the BS.
                -
                I didn't have any issues that way but I don't like how ver:5x looks so I uninstalled and backed up to version 4[something] .

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

I too got tired of Foxit reader...

I can recommend PDF-XChange Viewer.
                  It can add markup text etc to PDf files, and it's free...
                  Even for Company use on a terminal server!
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                    I can recommend PDF-XChange Viewer.
                    Agreed, this is currently my preferred PDF reader.

Comment

I did not install any of the toolbars and spyware. It could have silently installed that stuff anyway.

I had installed Foxit Reader 3.0 since this computer is running Windows 98. I use this computer to run software that does not work under a newer version of Windows.

I can't use the AVG Rescue CD because it requires 512MB of RAM. This computer doesn't even support that much RAM.

The program itself ran fine, but it was extremely slow. The uninstaller is what screwed up and started creating tons of files. I even tried an even older version and its uninstaller did the same thing.

Comment

I just reinstalled Windows. I shouldn't have had to reinstall Windows to get rid of Fuxit (misspelling intentional) and all the crap it installed.

Comment

I always 'watch my checkboxes.' Upon running the SFX EXE installer for foxit reader, the junk decompressed into the temp dir, but did not execute. I then realized that if they were gonna 'play,' I would have nothing to do with them.

A few months ago, I visited a certain electrical forum as I did many times prior. Avast found 'funny' scripts and stopped them from loading. Other users who also used Avast had the same thing happen and there was a thread about it. Several hours after, either the admin or one of the mods confirmed they'd been hacked.

-Paul
                          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Who was hacked?

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

avira is now considered scum.foisting ask and uniblue junk.

Comment

I installed Foxit reader (newest version, I think) about 2 weeks ago on one of my older computers (750 MHz, 384 MB RAM, Win XP SP1). Didn't have a problem at all afterwards, other than it installed the Foxit toolbar for Mozilla and IE (which I thought I unchecked during installation). Removed that toolbar and all is well now.

Normally, I run Adobe Reader X on my computers, but the reason I decided to try Foxit is because I had a big PDF file that would make Adobe Reader crash (even tried Adobe Photoshop and Open Office, which both support PDF files, but they both crashed). Foxit reads it fine but there is a constant 50% CPU use. I blame the PDF file for that, though, since it's over 389 MB and I wouldn't be surprised if it really is corrupt.

Speaking of those people that install in a "click-next-all" manner without paying attention, I have 2 coworkers in IT that do this. Sucks even more when they are building an image for a computer and then clone it for 50 other computers. Makes my day truly worthwhile, cleaning up crap all day (thankfully there's a portable version of CCleaner - it speeds up my work considerably). And sometimes I dare not even open the Device Manager on a newly imaged machine because I fear I'd find a pile of yellow marks and missing drivers (yes, this has happened before).
                                *Sigh*
                                Last edited by momaka; 06-22-2011, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                  avira is now considered scum.foisting ask and uniblue junk.
                                  Tell me about it...
                                  I happen to have proof that they are(were?) in bed with "antivirus '09."

Gotta love those 'IT' guys, Momaka!
                                  After all, they're the "smart" ones, you just replace caps and figure out power supplies!

On those imaged systems, do you also experience the joy of removing garbage that doesn't belong under 'Networking' under control panel?

-Paul
                                  "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

What happened with Avira and the rogue Antivirus '09?

The things those IT guys do sounds like what would happen if a middle school computer teacher tried to reinstall Windows. I still remember having my computer crash in sixth grade and watching the teacher hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete for about five minutes before finally holding down the power button to shut it off. I was going to do that anyway, but when she saw me holding down the power button she sent me out in the hallway.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                      What happened with Avira and the rogue Antivirus '09?

The things those IT guys do sounds like what would happen if a middle school computer teacher tried to reinstall Windows. I still remember having my computer crash in sixth grade and watching the teacher hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete for about five minutes before finally holding down the power button to shut it off. I was going to do that anyway, but when she saw me holding down the power button she sent me out in the hallway.
                                      life lesson: whoever the boss or leader or teacher is the loser that is too dumb to perform thier actual job but nobody had the balls to fire.

I've seen worse...
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I have to say, we've been using Foxit Reader on Windows 2000 and up for quite some time at work and not encountered this issue - just be sure to uncheck the 'install toolbars' options - same goes for Java updates!

Comment

Working...
                                        X