Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

portable dvd ematic open issue

Hi,

my issue is this. i have two ematic portable dvd players i bought for my kids to watch in the car. They used them maybe two times and then both units quit working.

Basically you put a dvd in the unit and what you see is what is shown attached picture "5_open_error". Bascially, unit thinks the "lid" is open so it wont play the dvd.

I opened the dvd player and i noticed a round-peg type thing that goes into the guts of the dvd player when i close the lid (see picture "2_Round_peg_1"). So i now went into the "guts" of the player and found where the round-peg made contact (see picture "3_pic_of_board1"). I put a yellow square box around locationwhere round peg makes contact.

i then zoomed into the location where the peg makes contact (see picture "4_pic_of_board2").

If you look at the top-down picture you can see 4 terminals. A and B are shorted. C and D are shorted. There does not appear to be any connection between groups A,B and C,D. I dont see how the round peg has any influence on this item to let unit know that lid is closed.

I dont know what to do now. Can someone help?
    Attached Files

Re: portable dvd ematic open issue

Looks like the switch is broken and part is missing, it is just a spst surface mount switch and the small plastic acuator part is broken.
    It may have looked similar to this?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by R_J; 11-06-2018, 12:35 PM.

Comment

so what should i do?

should groups A,B and C,D be shorted if lid is closed?

if that is the case how do i rig it to short when lid is closed?

Comment

They use 4 connections just to mount the switch ab are common cd are common the switch is normally open, when the door is closed the switch shorts a to c
        To repair it properly you need to replace the switch.

The rest of the broken switch was likely somewhere inside the case.
        It may have looked like more like this one https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...736028590.html
        Attached Files
        Last edited by R_J; 11-06-2018, 12:42 PM.

Comment

thanks........i think you might be right........i did hear some "rattling" in the unit prior to opening.

any idea where i can get a surface mount detection switch that is not from alibaba.....which is in china.

Comment

If you can find the rest of it (or another one from other unit) measure the dimensions, then look at digikey etc. Likely will need to come from China
            Attached Files
            Last edited by R_J; 11-06-2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I managed to solve one of these in a pinch (was unable to obtain any kind of switch compatible).
              Soldered a jumper between the contacts of the switch and powered on/off with the remote control whenever changing a DVD to force the player to read its contents again. Also did the trick selecting another input and going back to DVD. YMMV

As many things in life, was a temporal workaround that ended being permanent . Eventually sold the car without ever replacing the darn switch.
              Hope this helps

Comment

thanks.....i did find a replacement from digikey but i cant verify all of the important variables for the switch specifically the "heigh" since i dont have one to compare it with.

i figured worst case i could just short the switch so its always "closed" but i am hesitant to do this since my kids use it and i did not want them to have any issue regarding the "laser" and safety.

Comment

Working...
                X