• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Seasonic SS-660KM PSU ErP Ready

Tested with the rig. No difference, the PSU won't turn on. :-/

Comment

it's is turning on, it's in safety shutdown - probably from a shortcircuit diode.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
        momaka: thats's not even long shot, that's just nonsense. This thing is resonant 12V synchronnously rectified unit, it requires no load whatsoever to run and has none internally for sake of efficiency.
        Try that with be quiet P8
        Its LLC-Resonant and 12V Synchronous rectifier and still has a NLOP...

Comment

Originally posted by UserXP View Post
          I actally was considering selling it for scrap or to someone who might be able to fix and use it.
          That's always an option too.

Though I find you can usually get the most money if the unit just stopped working and you sell it without having touched anything inside. But you never know, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by UserXP View Post
            Well, I guess "planned obsolence" does play its part here. This PSU came with a 5 year warranty, and it quit on me 5 years and 7 months after purchasing. My new PSU has a 7 year warranty, so hopefully I will be safe until 2025. Hopefully.
            Still, I would prefer if I had fixed this malfunctioning PSU, somehow I get the feeling that some tiny component might be causing this behavior. But I am a mere rookie in this hobby, that is true. I actally was considering selling it for scrap or to someone who might be able to fix and use it.
            It's not intention, it is some serial problem with the series. Well there may be multiple problems just manifesting in the same way, but it is known that several gold and platinum series from Seasonic suffer from this on kinda large scale. Though Seasonic representatives (those I talked to anyway) claim there is nothing out of the ordinary regarding RMA figures, I have seen quite a lot of units with the same problem. Lot of them still under warranty, being it 5 or 7 years so it is not planned for sure - Seasonic suffers extra costs from RMA here. Don't think they do that on purpose
            Last edited by Behemot; 07-22-2018, 03:04 PM.
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Hopefully, I will be able to sell this thing. In order to try to rapair it, I have bought a multimeter, an ESR reader and a bunch of genuine Panasonic capacitors, all to no avail regarding this PSU. I do not regret, though, I like having those tools as well as the practice buildup. Even the mighty Seasonic breaks eventually, I guess.
              And, true, I do lack experience and expertise to find out and repair this. Many of you guys helped me repair a notherboard by recapping it. That one still works today. But, this PSU and my wireless Sony headphones which I have also seeked help for, have not benefited from changed capacitors - they clearly have some other elusive issue.
              Last edited by UserXP; 07-22-2018, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                it's is turning on, it's in safety shutdown - probably from a shortcircuit diode.
                Please restate this, I did not understand the first part.

Comment

it turns on, detects an overload and then shuts down.
                  that's why the fan twitches.

check the diodes mounted on the heatsinks.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    check the diodes mounted on the heatsinks.
                    Secondary ones are SMD types with a fat ground plate. You need some serious stuff to get there...

Comment

Working...
                    X