Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: XBOX One S USB Port

Originally posted by JJR View Post
    Here are the photos in no particular order.
    For resoldering, did you use hotair or did you do it manually?
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

I'd recommend using hotair to preheat the Board and a good Iron for soldering...

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
        I'd recommend using hotair to preheat the Board and a good Iron for soldering...
        I'd actually recommend using hotair for the soldering. I have a preheater, so I always use that for preheating, but I guess a hotair rework station could be used for preheating, if done properly.

But I've noticed even if I hand solder, if I go back over it with hot air, the solder joints look a lot more professional. Takes a little extra bit of time, but makes it look like it was wave soldered or whatever it's called. That's just me though.

If it works, it works. I just like it when things look a bit professional like.

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
          For resoldering, did you use hotair or did you do it manually?
          The replacement port popped in easily so I hand soldered. I wasn't very happy after taking that final photo so went over it again to get a better looking finish.
          The machine is back with it's happy owner now so no more pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
            I thought about this but decided to use just the iron and it worked quite well.

I've only had this soldering station for about 6 weeks so I'm still trying it out on different jobs, it's a Jovy iSolder 40 that I'd heard good things about.
            Previously I was using an Atten 8586 which works well for most jobs but temp regulation is starting to waver so it was time for a replacement, I still use the hot air side of it though.

Comment

I think it was Stj who posted a link a while back for a really decent looking DIY soldering iron, that could work with a plethora of different irons, if I'm not mistaking. I almost thought of building it, just for one, one of these days.

It's an open source / open hardware design, but I've read some pretty good reviews about it. If that Jovy don't work out for you, and you're a DIYer, maybe see if you can find the link.

Glad everything worked out for you!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fre_-uRmhXE&t=0s

Comment

The Jovy uses T12/T15 tips, it can use Hakko tips which work out a little cheaper, not much in it really.
                  If the diy station is the one I'm thinking of, I was tempted as it also takes T12/T15s but as I was extremely busy at the time I decided to get a known good one. It was only £145 + £15.99 for each extra tip, got 2 extra.

Comment

It could be the one you're thinking of, I'm not sure. If I seen it, I'd say yeah. But right, you had time constraints. This would be one of those projects where if you was maybe interested or just wanted to try it. If I do it, I'll let you know how it compares to my very expensive (and very good) Weller WD2. I currently have two irons for that. A 40 watt (I think) micro soldering iron, made just for SMD components, and then a much larger 120 watt iron.

But that's really expensive, and tips are expensive, and irons are expensive, but they make some neat things for that unit! Like soldering tweezers! I love it, it heats up extremely fast, keeps the temp real stable (has a little issue with the 120 watt one, but it doesn't fluctuate more than a degree or two).

So if I end up building the DIY one, I'll be comparing it to the Weller. Maybe if you end up building it, you can let me know how it compares to the ones you've used in the past.

Comment

Working...
                    X